AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: sparkling gourami's

Registered Member

Default sparkling gourami's

I would like to know if it would be okay to add 3 of these ever so cute Sparkling Gourami's to my tank with my Discus and Angel??

I don't think they are small enough to fit into their mouths, but they sure are pretty and cute.

Looking for something different and small to add into this tank.

Default Re: sparkling gourami's

The only thing you'd probably have to be careful of is the tank current and the temperature. Everything I've read on them says they prefer temperatures in the high 70s with a max of 82 or so.

Being so small, a strong current might be tough on them, especially since most gouramis do tend to hang out near the surface and breathe oxygen from the air.

Ryan

PS - I moved this thread to the more appropriate Tankmates section.
    Last edited by Ryan; 08-18-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Registered Member

Ryan,

Thanks and sorry for putting this post in the wrong area.

Do you think they would be aggressive in anyway??

I keep my tank at 81 all the time.

Most of the smaller gouramis are passive community fish. Males will be territorial, but I don't see them being aggressive toward discus. They are probably similar to dwarf gouramis or female bettas in temperament.

I did some more reading and everything warns against strong current. Otherwise I think they'll be alright.

Make sure they get their share of food, too. With discus that shouldn't be a problem since they're slow eaters once they get older.

Sparking gouramis and angels won't mix; the angels will eat them. They breed easily at 84F; I have raised thousands but they really are too small and slow for life in the discus lanes.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Don't have to worry about them anyways. They are not easy to get here any longer for some reason. I did get a dwarf red gourami and that was definatley a no go in this tank. That Discus did not like this fish and would not leave it along. Thank goodness I do have another tank so i could put this cute little gourami in there. He/she is a devil of a Discus and at times will bully the Angel but does not hurt it at all. Just seems to want to keep it close to itself. Just the two of them in the tank I am afraid but that is okay all if peaceful and fine this way.