AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Red lined torpedo barb, Puntius denisonii

Registered Member

Default Red lined torpedo barb, Puntius denisonii

Can I or should I add 2 of 5cm red lined torpedo barbs to my 110 gal half planted tank with 10 discus and some rummy noses? I liked their color very much. Did you have any experience with them? Before discus, 6 months ago I had 15-20 congo tetras and I did not like them because of their panicky movements and they were staying in one place for hours. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Red lined torpedo barb, Puntius denisonii

well..i have a 125 gallon. i have cardinals, rummy noses, blackfin tetras, rosy barbs, marble hatchets, congo tetras, otto cats, pencil fish, albino bushy noses, regular bushy noses, 6 young discus, sterbai cats, panda cat, albino cats, guppies, swordtails, oh and some penguin rasboras. im overstocked..but its working. been 8 weeks now..and eveyrone is happy. only fish i had that didnt work so far are the red eye tetras. kept dropping one or two a day. down to a few. the rest are doing well. but my heats not that high. 80 degrees.
    i have a big rena filter and a 500 aquaclear.
    try keep ti fairly simple . i dont know the torpedo barbs..but if they are like the tiger barbs..the could harrass them. no idea. stick to small and peaceful schooling fish. try sticking to amazon type fishes. pencil fish are neat..and they have a line down them. and red in their fins.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

excellent barb, they grow quite large but are relitively peaceful. In a discus tank i don't think it would be ideal (water too hot).
    I believe they are now being bred in captivity, hopefully the price will eventually come down.

I've moved this thread to the more appropriate Tankmates section.

Registered Member

I had started with 2 Red lined torpedos I liked them so much. As the 2 were constantly swimming together I bought 3 more and it was better as they all swam in a group.I read that you should have four-six of them in a tank as they are schooling fish.When I saw them at a LFS I never seen them before and didn't know anything about them until I read up on them on the net.They grow really big and very peaceful in the tank. Unfortunately all of mine died as a result of too much Co2 and acidic PH on the same day I did a WC.I would recomend them and hopefully the price will drop as I paid $20.00 a fish. I will have them in my tank again when I can get the Co2 readings more accurately etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Murat View Post
    Can I or should I add 2 of 5cm red lined torpedo barbs to my 110 gal half planted tank with 10 discus and some rummy noses? I liked their color very much. Did you have any experience with them? Before discus, 6 months ago I had 15-20 congo tetras and I did not like them because of their panicky movements and they were staying in one place for hours. Thank you in advance!
    I would say it would depend on the temperment of your discus. I have 4 in with my discus in a 125 gallon. You are getting pretty up there in stocking though, consider that these guys can get 6+" and are constantly in motion (like their other name suggests- red line shark). They are peaceful, but fast and constantly in motion and quick to get the food. If you have outgoing discus it should be fine.

Tina

I had 4 Puntius denisonii in my 55 gal with 5 discus - all died,i guess BH diet isn't right for them,they dont harass discus or any other fish but their constant movement and happyness really annoys discus,in t up to 30 C they do just fine
    HTH
    vera