AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: apistos

Registered Member

Default apistos

I have tried keeping apistos with my discus several times now, but each time, the apistos die because of overeating (I think). I feed my discus 3 times a day, and the apistos gladly join in. Does anyone have the same experience?

Default Re: apistos

Its most likely the heat taking them down than the food, but this will depend on the species, although it is a possibility the food you are using does something to them.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

Hm, I keep the temperature at 82 F, thought they could live in that range, but they always seem to look bloated when they die. By the way, I'm heading your way tomorrow (Rincon, first, then San Juan)

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

I currently keep A. Agassizzi and had a group spawning in a 70 gallon with about 12 small discus. I have kept A. Borelli in a 125 with a group of discus; these guys were actually spawning in the corners. So, yes, Apistos CAN be kept with discus successfully. You need to check on the species ... some do better in warmer conditions than others.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyRichard View Post
    So, yes, Apistos CAN be kept with discus successfully. You need to check on the species ... some do better in warmer conditions than others.
    Yes, that is correct they can be kept but it will depend on species and the max temp. I had trouble with A cacatuoides after 82F but its not like I had a choice to lower the temp unless I can dim the sun Are you introducing them to the temp slowly?

But you say they look bloated? maybe there is something to ther food, what are you feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by hboute
    By the way, I'm heading your way tomorrow (Rincon, first, then San Juan)
    How cool is that, I hope you have a lot of fun or work a lot if it's for business. Unfortunately the passing of Hurrican Dean and some rain we've had in the lasr few days may have made the waters a bit too turbid to enjoy the reefs etc, but you can still surf in Rincon.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I keep my Apistos at 82 and they are doing good at this temp. I recently lost a bunch because of beef hart feeding. BH often does not agree with other chiclids. I think your problem might be food related.

I think you will find many people have problems with Apistogramma dying with little or no warning. Fine one day and bloated then dying the next. It is unclear to me what is going on.
    I also have kept and bred many species of Apistogramma with Discus. I also have found A. cauactuoides to be problematic with discus while A. borelli, A. agassizi, A. iniridae to name a few have done well.
    Dicrossus filamentosus do very well with discus. They prefer the same conditions ideal for keeping wild discus.
    As you may surmise from the screen name I have a bit of involvement with SA dwarf Cichlids.
    One thing has emerged to form a pattern and that is wild caught Apistos rarely have any problems when kept with discus but I have had almost all of my negative experiences with the tank raised Apistos imported from the Czech Republic. I don't know why this is true for me just that it is. I have wondered if these particular Apistos have been kept for long periods in water with high levels of antibiotic and once removed they are especially suceptable to internal bacterial infections. Some have tried to pin the blame on frozen blood worms but I use over 75 lbs of frozen blood worms every year and this Apisto problem never happens with wild caught fish.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 08-27-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Alright, I will try again with the Agasizzi.