ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Return Policies

Real Name
    Jim

Default Return Policies

I've read rave reviews about Big Al's return policies, but just got my first opportunity to use it myself, and let me tell you, they ain't no Drs. Foster & Smith

I ordered a widget online that came in several sizes. I KNOW I checked the correct box for the widget size I wanted, and then breezed through the process and placed the order, along with 4 or 5 other things.

Seems there's a problem with their computer system though, so at payment time my one order was split into two orders.. guess they've had this problem a couple months now I was told.

Anyway, half of the order arrived yesterday and I found that I received the incorrect size of widget. The only printed record I have of the order is from after it was split, and sure enough the wrong size is shown there. Since I can't prove I ordered the correct size, I must now ship it back at my own expense. Not a huge deal if I hadn't ordered the correct part in the first place.. I did, but can't prove it.

So.. I'll ship it back unopened and when they receive it, they'll send me a GIFT CERTIFICATE. Won't credit my credit card cause I can't prove I ordered the right part, and can't simply credit my online account cause their system is incapable of doing it To redeam my gift certificate, I have to place my next (and last) order over the phone Since several other online stores price match.. guess Big Al's will still come in handy for leverage.

They're taking it back, and giving me my money back in a round about way, and it won't cost too much to ship... but WHAT A PITA

Past experience with drsfostersmith has always been they would pick up the freight if there was even a hint the mistake was theirs (as in a computer glitch that re-writes one order into two), and credit my credit card or give me an online credit (my choice)!!

Guess I've been spoiled.

Jim
    Last edited by Cosmo; 08-30-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Return Policies

Bummer....I just ordered my filter and was able to print out invoice right before I ordered which clearly spells out what I ordered. However, I was later told that it was out of stock but they kindly sent me an email letting me know when it would be in stock and asked if i wanted to keep the order open or close it. Since it will only be a week delay, i told them to keep it open. I havent had to return anything yet so hopefully this wont turn ugly. I have ordered things in the past from them and got everything I ordered with no problems. This is what I printed out so there is no confusion later.

Big Als Online...

Order Receipt

Thank you for your order! Please print this page for your records.

Order #: 4331864
    Order Date: 2007-08-26

Order Summary

Shopping Cart Items Price Qty
    Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter
    Store Item #1380030
    SKU 17652 $ 89.99 USD 1

Subtotal: $ 89.99 USD
    Shipping: $ 10.95 USD
    Total: $ 100.94 USD

Real Name
    Jim

Yeah.. first time I ever had a problem with them, and it is a bummer.. could be worse, just such a PITA.

What was weird was that when after I entered by credit card info and clicked the finish button, I got an error message that an application error had occurred and my order was not placed, I never got to the screen with the order confirmation to print out! When I went to my order history, it showed the order as placed but didn't give a line item breakdown. THEN I received two e-mails confirming two different orders - the two of which combined was my complete original order. That was the first opportunity I had to print any receipts.

Wouldn't really bother me if I wasn't sure I had checked the right size.. but I know I did I've never ordered the wrong product and I've place a lot of online orders.

Hopefully it's not an age related issue
    Last edited by Cosmo; 08-30-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

After you ordered didn't they send you an order confirmation email?
    I always check those to make sure on money and parts.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Real Name
    Jim

Yep, they did.. they sent me two Which confused the heck out of me so I called them and they explained how their computer's been acting up and they had to re-enter my one order as two. I scanned the list and everything I had ordered seemed to be there, but obviously I didn't look close enough at the detail.. oh well

But Gift Certificate.. via snail mail.. that I have to phone in to use?? What century are we in

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

I look real hard now at confirmation emails after ordering. I had a simular situation like yours which cost me shipping costs. I decided from then on I will examine it better because if you don't nail them right after that email you are toast with most online retailors.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Wow Jim, I dont care much for that return policy either. I have ordered from them before, but the only issue I had was I made my order online and it wouldn't work so I called and did the order and they were very helpful (I wasn't trying to return anything though!)

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.