AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conductivity raise after adding muriatic acid

Registered Member

Default Conductivity raise after adding muriatic acid

I have noticed that my aging water conductivity have raised from 365ppm to 425ppm after adding muriatic acid to get pH lower, why this happen?

Banned

Default Re: Conductivity raise after adding muriatic acid

I can't give you details but I know that dropping pH will raise ORP, which conductivity

Registered Member

Thanks Graham, what way it could affect any future breeding?, these are the other parameters: pH=6.5 gH=5.6 and kH<1
    Last edited by guille2007; 08-27-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Banned

Here's you're answer

What about pH? pH can impact the ORP readings in aquaria. Often, ORP goes down as pH rises. A typical aquarium ORP reading will change on the order of 59 mv/pH unit. The easiest way to understand this is to simply think of pH as a measure of hydrogen ions (H+) in solution, and to think of H+ as being on the side of the oxidizers. In reality, H+ doesn't usually oxidize things itself (though it can), but more typically it can hype up other oxidizers, like oxygen, making them much more potent. So during the course of a 24-hour day in a reef aquarium, ORP will vary as pH and O2 also vary.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Banned

That KH level is very low, careful it doesn't crash the pH

Higher ORP levels, up to about 400Mv help water quality

Registered Member

Very interesting link, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    That KH level is very low, careful it doesn't crash the pH

Higher ORP levels, up to about 400Mv help water quality
    Yes, I take pH under observation every day, till now I have kept it stable, for example, I was out home for eight days and pH just went down from 6.3 to 5.8 and I did raise it again to 6.4 after WC's, I always try to match aging water PH with the value in tank in order to not exceed the diference in +/- 0.2 . I just got a conductivity meter(hanna primo) and started to play with it.
    Last edited by guille2007; 08-25-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by guille2007 View Post
    I have noticed that my aging water conductivity have raised from 365ppm to 425ppm after adding muriatic acid to get pH lower, why this happen?
    What is conductivity? Shortly, it is ability to conduct an electric current. Pure water has conductivity near 0.0 microS/cm.
    But if any ions are present in water, then conductivity increase depending on ions concentration and nature. If you lower your pH (pH= negative logharitm of H+ ions concentration) then concentration of H+ ions raises, equimolar amount of anions must also appear and of course conductivity must increase too.
    What else is going on during acidification? Your carbonate hardness is lowering. It is simple chemical reaction- replacing HCO3- ions by Cl- ones. Cl- ions are twice smaller and more mobile so they can conduct electricity with better efficacy than hydrocarbonate ions do.
    Btw. your conductivity is a little too big for successful breeding, both before and after acidification.
    Hans

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Kloss View Post
    What is conductivity? Shortly, it is ability to conduct an electric current. Pure water has conductivity near 0.0 microS/cm.
    But if any ions are present in water, then conductivity increase depending on ions concentration and nature. If you lower your pH (pH= negative logharitm of H+ ions concentration) then concentration of H+ ions raises, equimolar amount of anions must also appear and of course conductivity must increase too.
    What else is going on during acidification? Your carbonate hardness is lowering. It is simple chemical reaction- replacing HCO3- ions by Cl- ones. Cl- ions are twice smaller and more mobile so they can conduct electricity with better efficacy than hydrocarbonate ions do.
    Btw. your conductivity is a little too big for successful breeding, both before and after acidification.
    Hans
    Excelent explaination Hans, thanks
    And what more I could do in order to get lower conductivity without using an RO unit?, water softener procedure seems to do nothing about.

Registered Member

Anyone has tested/ used water from a dehumidifier for mixing?, it has a conductivity of just 36 ppm and it could be lower since I took it after washing the container with tap water.I live in a very moist place and I have the dehumidifier close to the barrel I use for aging water so I think that I can produce 0.5G or so a day. After testing for ammonia and if it is ok I even could fiter that water with carbon so I guess it could be usable.
    Last edited by guille2007; 08-26-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

muriac acid has sodium cloride in it, so raises conductivity. Peat is the only acidifier that i know off that will lower conductivity along with ph.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    muriac acid has sodium cloride in it, so raises conductivity. Peat is the only acidifier that i know off that will lower conductivity along with ph.
    Thanks Rod, what about acetic acid?, have you tested it?

Registered Member

muriac acid has sodium cloride in it,
    LOL, here you have typical analytical data of concentrated muriatic acid from Sigma-Aldrich company.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...il/SIAL/320331

There is even NO TRACE of sodium.
    Hans

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Kloss View Post
    LOL, here you have typical analytical data of concentrated muriatic acid from Sigma-Aldrich company.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...il/SIAL/320331

There is even NO TRACE of sodium.
    Hans

LOL Hans, Here in Australia we have very strict labeling laws (everything must be revealed or cannot be sold in our country) and i can assure you that my ingredient label on my muriac acid says salt....Just because sigma-aldrich does not include in your country on the label does not mean it is not there.

Rod

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by guille2007 View Post
    Thanks Rod, what about acetic acid?, have you tested it?
    Sorry mate, never tested that one. But the amount of salt is very small in muriac acid (only raised 60ms) . Your water conductance sounds almost the same as mine, all i do is add 3/4 ro water after acidification and your conductivity will settle around 100 ms. Pretty good for breeding imo.

Rod

Registered Member

Sorry mate, never tested that one. But the amount of salt is very small in muriac acid (only raised 60ms) . Your water conductance sounds almost the same as mine, all i do is add 3/4 ro water after acidification and your conductivity will settle around 100 ms. Pretty good for breeding imo.

Rod
    Thanks Rod, I know RO is the way to go but for now it is almost imposible for me to have an RO unit, no for sale here and a pain to get one from outside, that's why I am trying to find alternative procedures, just a person breeding discus here and he is lucky enough since his tap water is directly from a crystal lake with amazing water parameters, he live in the country, but here in the main city it is diferent, I have improved water conditions with softener resins and acidification but conductivity is still high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast