ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I' know they aren't round... Red footed Tortoises

Default I' know they aren't round... Red footed Tortoises

Very cool Al. I know that you have to soak some tortoises often, how often do you have to soak these ones?

Default Re: I' know they aren't round... Red footed Tortoises

Quote Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
    Very cool Al. I know that you have to soak some tortoises often, how often do you have to soak these ones?
    They do like to soak , when inside I usually let them have a bath every couple of days...not long...just 20-30 mins in warm water. While outside, not as often, as I usually spray them lightly and their pen a bit with the garden house to bump up the moisture and cool them off if the days real hot....simulate a rainy day in the tropics I guess. They seem to like it.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Very cool Al. I too love reptiles and used to keep iguanas. As a kid I would go outside and flip boards over and try to catch garter snakes, gopher snakes, frogs, salamanders, and red bellied newts.

red eared sliders are now on the invasive specie list here in Oregon as people would buy them and later dump them in the local ponds, and we all know the rest of that story with the Sliders taking over.

I used to work where I could catch some good sized bull snakes (four to six feet in length) and have transported six or so home to let loose over the years and now I see a baby (one foot plus or minus in length) about every year coming from under the house. Bull snakes are great for eating spiders, scorpions, rattle snakes, mice and other vermin.

Red ear sliders are a problem in a lot of places now Dave, I see them on Craigslist here in CT all the time. They are a nice turtle to keep as a pet,I've had them myself. Unfortunately with reptiles in general, theres a major problem with unwanted pets. The problem is people get them, and then tire of them. Reptiles are often longer lived than most cats and Dogs. Tortoises can live 40 -50 plus years.. I joke with my family, that these red footed tortoises will be in my will.

I would enjoy having a bull snake here...I keep and breed alot of Rat snake species... Currently I have a pair of albino ratsnakes, pair of Blackratsnake X Texas ratsnakes, and some offspring of them that my kids raised from eggs. We also have a Garter Snake thats in a Vivarium in the kids treehouse.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

That's cool Al. I imagined Connecticut to be all urban. You seem like a good ole country boy like many of us in the south. Is the black worm business your full-time work? Is it a home based business? I haven't ordered any yet. Are any of the worms enriched with vitamins and maybe some spirulina?

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    That's cool Al. I imagined Connecticut to be all urban. You seem like a good ole country boy like many of us in the south. Is the black worm business your full-time work? Is it a home based business? I haven't ordered any yet. Are any of the worms enriched with vitamins and maybe some spirulina?
    CT is pretty developed but there are patches here and there of country. I would move if I could to somewhere less developed. I would love to have a huge farm somewhere. Freeze Dried Blackworms are my home based business, its not the only thing I do,but its my main focus these days. My freeze dried blackworms come in several varieties...give me call and I'd be happy to tell you more and help you figure out whats best for your needs.

Thanks,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-11-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Thanks!

Nice!!!
    Premium flowerhorn fish for sale www.thaiFH.com

Well it took 10 years of patience but my hatchlings from 2007 are finally starting to lay eggs. You guys think it takes patience to grow out discus to breeding age...thats nothing! 10 years here for these guys. NOW THE FUN STARTS!

Im really hoping these hatch. They are just starting to lay..but finding the first egg last week was cool.Since then ...2 more for a total of 3.

2017-10-22 11.28.25.jpg

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Kevin

I used to breed bobwhite quail when I was younger. 5 birds quickly became 50 and then 200 and then......... I think you get the point. Watching animals hatch and having a direct role in it is very thrilling.

Real Name
    Matt

Congrats Al, this should be fun to watch! How small are they when they first hatch? And do they start out with hard shells or does it take time for it to harden? I don't know anything about tortoises!
    -Matt

Matt they hatch out at about 2 inches...
    2017-10-22 13.37.52.jpg

Their shell will be kind of leathery...not soft but not fully hardened.
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

DSCN3802a.jpg

when we got them in 2007 they were only a few weeks old... The container they are eating out of here is a Chinese food take out container..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

The biggest is now about 14 inches Long.

2017-10-22 13.45.13.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

That is amazing Al. A true labor of love and I must say from personal experience those guys live like royalty. Being shuttled in and out every day and their living spaces are amazing...

Yes..you need a big farm. What a crazy mix you would keep! You should really write a book Al... stop laughing...it would be really good! Just squeeze it into your schedule...the one with all the extra leisure time in it.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

What a labor of love. So glad these guys are finally doing something for you Al.

My gopher tortoises are increasing. There is a sub-adult male living halfway up the driveway and a four inch baby living under the well house.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast