AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I' know they aren't round... Red footed Tortoises

Default Re: I' know they aren't round... Red footed Tortoises

Been a few years now since I updated on these guys..Its hard to believe that I have had them now 13 years ( hatchlings in 2007). If you think Discus are tough to breed, try waiting on Tortoises that can live more than 50 years. Breeding has been sporadic, I only had one male in the group so a few years ago got a second young male, He is only about 5 now I think, but I am hopeful that he will start breeding soon.. When I first got him the other male responded with alot of head bobbing and breeding attempts with the girls...then it tapered off.

This year I updated their outside pen which is 20X30 Feet. We used to take them in every night and bring them outside the next day when they were smaller. Now that they are really large we made an enclosure in the pen that they go into at night on their own. We just need to lock the door when they are in to keep the critters out, then we open the door in the am and they come "charging out" at a tortoise pace for breakfast. The enclosure has a heat lamp for chilly nights. I am thinking that we should be able to keep these guys outside until Sept .. They are much happier with the summer cottage than being inside in the cooler months here. I also built a small wooden bin next to the enclosure and filled it with compost and leaves, hopefully they will use that to lay eggs,

Time will tell.

For now, its just really cool having these guys..

20200629_082142_01

20200629_082325_01

20200629_082335_01

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Most interesting, Al. But I have three questions. Why is the turtle house so tall for such short dwellers? How do they manage to open and close that door? And how do they use that small white toilet located on the right of the first picture?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Most interesting, Al. But I have three questions. Why is the turtle house so tall for such short dwellers? How do they manage to open and close that door? And how do they use that small white toilet located on the right of the first picture?
    Lol..
    Why is the turtle house so tall for such short dwellers?
    Because I am not small...and I need to be able to reach in and clean it,

How do they manage to open and close that door?
    They can't, We do a head count every night and close them in, securing the door. They are really good about going in for the night as soon as it starts getting dark they head for shelter. Then in the am we let them out by opening the door and they come marching out.

And how do they use that small white toilet located on the right of the first picture?
    ahh.. Thats actually not a toilet, but to keep them from using their water dish as a toilet.Thats an old cat water dish that we fill up with drinking water. They can reach in to drink. They also have some water dishes but 9/10 times if they can sit in it, it becomes a toilet.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Came down to the tortoise pen and found eggs.. probably wont hatch but its a step in the right direction. Time to incubate and pray.
    20230206_095110.jpg
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234