AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What will get rid of hair algae

Registered Member

Question What will get rid of hair algae

I have a planted tank that has some hair algae growing on plants, substate, and snails. I was told by a friend of mine that shrimps will get rid of them but it has been over three months and its still here. I cut off leaves every two days or take out the whole plant if there is alot growing on it. If even tried taking out some of the plants and dipping it in a bleach/water solution but that didn't work either. I change the water weekly at 80%. Does Seachem Flourish Excel kill hair alage and does anyone know what works? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: What will get rid of hair algae

I had the same issue because I had a difficult time getting my C02 levels under control... Thats what caused it once I got my levels stable I double dosed with Excell for 4 days... not the ten days that some of the others said they used... after four days the algae turned from black to pink/white. I continue to use it in conjunction with my pressurized C02 setup. sense then I have not had any reoccurences...as a big bonus My plants really have looked alot better... One thing though if you have any Vals they will more than likely melt from the over dosage...Small price to pay for a great looking algae free tank IMO. Good luck

Troy

Registered Member

As Troy says Excel used as an overdose, as in 3 times the recommended amount. For me 3 days is all it takes. Be aware though that some have had bad results with their discus when doing this.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info and I'm new to the Co2 thing.What is the correct number of bubbles per second in a 75 gallon tank. Do you look at the bottom of where the bubbles comes out of or on the top? What is Vals? I'll get some Excel and hopefully it will work. After the hair algae turns pink/white do you leave it there?

Registered Member

Don't go by bubbles, go by KH & pH, while still not totally accurate, it is a much better way to measure. There are tons of converters on the 'net, just do a search. I'm not sure what you mean by look at the bottom or top, but then I have no idea what your system is. Valis is short for Valisneria which is an aquatic grass that is very common. btw I have found that just transplanted Val will melt but clumps that have been in the tank for awhile seem to do fine for me. Actually I tend to get a growth spurt from them when I dose for BBA. I just let the filter take in the dead algae, it more or less melts away.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Another option is to use H2O2, again care must be excercised and sometimes the plants will show a little distress too. Make sure that the amount of H2O2 used is small and is directed over the hair algae. After several treatments the hair algae will be gone. In any single dosing don't exceed 15mils of 3% H2O2 for every 10 US gallons.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Is the algae in question black brush algae? If it is, then Excel works like a charm. Reduce the water till the parts/plants are exposed and use a brush to brush Excel over it. Use a water spray to keep everything damp. Your discus may be a bit stressed so try not to knock the glass. If possible net them out.
    Stan Chung

simple but not easy

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I do have Black Bush Algae and I will treat it soon.I increased my Co2 and did a water change today and in the process the Ph was acidic and killed off all 5 of my Dension Barbs :. and some of my Cardinals too.
    Last edited by Lotus; 09-06-2007 at 02:31 AM. Reason: mistake in spelling

Sounds to me like you had too much Co2. You might want to look in to getting or building a drop checker. These things are great for measuring Co2 levels. These things take the guesswork out of Co2 levels.

Color coding
    Blue = Not enough Co2
    Green = Good Co2
    Yellow = Too much Co2 - fish in danger

You can pick one up on ebay here:
    AquaticMagic

Or this is what I have and it is cheap and works well:
    Drop Checker

Red sea also makes one:
    redseaco2indicator

Some people make their own:
    diy-drop-checker.html

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Greenfish. I didn't know there was such a thing. I will need to get that too.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFish View Post
    Sounds to me like you had too much Co2[/URL]
    Greenfish,
    I agree with you about the drop checker being the best way of measuring C02 levels within a tank....(some experts simply can read the plants... However, that does not include me ) most algae is a result of multipule defencies... one biggie is low C02 or even more important is unstable C02... You would have to have C02 levels considerably higher than 30-40 ppm before fish are affected. (high 100s) If one wants to keep thier algae under control.. they can start by keeping thier C02 at a stable level... whatever that my be.
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by susantroy1 View Post
    Greenfish,
    You would have to have C02 levels considerably higher than 30-40 ppm before fish are affected. (high 100s) If one wants to keep thier algae under control.. they can start by keeping thier C02 at a stable level... whatever that my be.
    Troy
    At 100ppm you're fish will die. Anything over 35 is not good.
    Remember to keep your O2 levels good by having enough water movement and surface water movement.

You will need between 0.75-1.5 bubbles per second in a 75 gallon tank, depending on on the surface movement and the efficiency of your diffuser. Get the drop checker though, they are well worth having.
    Last edited by blue acara; 09-28-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Registered Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there.

The one other thing that will suggest, is when you start increasing the CO2- do it when you can be home for a couple HOURS not minute to watch how your fish react. If you see then start to gasp, then you know its up too high, turn it down. THere are plenty of times just keepign an eye on it has saved a bunch of fish that woudl have died if I wasn't watching it carefully.