AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hello Im New...Question

Registered Member

Default Hello Im New...Question

Hello,
    My name is Zach and i have a brother named Greg. I had a question for brewmaster. We are friends of Dennis Munson (neighbors) and have a pair of breeding Angelfish. They are actually the ones you sold to Dennis Munson, and he gave us 8 fish for our graduation. They laid the eggs about 5 days ago (its the fry's 6th day. My problem is one day there is a bunch of angelfry, then we go to sleep and the next day theres only a few. How do we keep them from dying or the parents from eating them? We have the food that you gave Dennis Munson and he gave us the food. So we do feed them your fry food. Are we doing anything wrong? And after they are free swimming and we are feeding them they seem not to be eating well...I know they are suppose to have orange stomachs indicating they are full. But they never seem to get too orange. They always seem to get to a light orange and thats it. The fish also seem to be weak and not swimming well. I know its a lot to ask for the first time but this is the parents 12th try and they havent been successful. Thank you for everything and the food!

-Zach and Greg

Default Re: Hello Im New...Question

I'm not brew, but one potential solution - for the next batch - is to remove the eggs shortly after they are laid into a small container. One gallon or less will do. You need to have a cone, slate, or similar to efficiently remove the eggs.

In the hatching container you'll need an airstone and meth blue. Angelfish are voracious eaters as soon as they are free swimming. The key to their healthy growth, in my experience, is lots of newly-hatched live brine shrimp.

Some angelfish pairs become good parents in time, others never do. After 12 tries, you might want to try the separation approach if you'd like to raise baby angelfish.

Default Re: Hello Im New...Question

Hi Zach and Greg,
    Glad you got the powdered food I sent by way of Dennis... and welcome to Simplydiscus.

The advice you just got from Devonpond is something to consider.

The Food I sent is really only for the first couple of days....its very important to get them onto Live baby brine shrimp soon or some other larger fry food than the powder... you wont see the bellies orange unless you are feeding them something orange like BBS.. That powder is green...so

Basically the fry will hatch... and go swimming, feed the powder about 4-6 hours after they are free swimming, Usually a day or two after that they ready for BBS... though technically they can eat fresh hatched BBS immediately after they have gone swimming that 4-6 hours.

Do you and your brother know how to hatch out BBS? If you guys want to take a ride down with your family I'll walk you thru it all, and have a mess of frozen ones I can give you.. drop me a PM on the forum or email me...brewmaster15@netscape.com and I'll see if I can help.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images