AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How to Paint Tank

Registered Member

Default How to Paint Tank

How do you guys paint your fishtanks? What type of paint do you use? How do you apply it: brush, spray, roller?

Thanks,

Emilio
    San Juan, Puerto Rico

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: How to Paint Tank

I spray it. Mask everything and turn upside down. I used Kilz spray paint from Walmart for the back (turns a nice lt/med blue). I used the pebble textured paint for the bottom. I backed it all with black so it is solid (cant see through it at all). I dont see a need to paint the sides because i like to see them better. Unmask everything, clean any over spray, clean out the inside real good just in case and you are ready to go. This is how my 75g Bow Front turned out. I also went with some live plants, driftwood and some moss. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I plan to do my 85g next exactly like this one. I also have my breeder tank the same way.

DSC_0044a.JPG

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

I do like the color of your tank.
    Scott

Registered Member

Thanks for the quick feedback. I really like that tank.

Real Name
    Mike

Its my favorite look so far and I have tried many different ways. The blue is a little bit darker than the picture shows.

For tanks in my fishroom I use a light blue latex wall paint and apply with a roller. Mask off the frame. Let one coat dry and then recoat it. I usually do about 4-5 coats until I can set a flashlight in the tank and not see through it. I paint the back, bottom and sides. If its not going to have insulation wrapped around it (show tank) I use a latex based varnish to really make it waterproof. I use Polycrylic from Minwax.

Registered Member

Does it matter if the tank is acrylic? I can imagine that no paint would harm glass aquariums. But could the solvents in the wrong type of paint do any harm to acrylic?

Thanks,
    Tim

Banned

While the average latex paint won't hurt an acrylic tank, I don't that it'll come of very easy.

I just use a small roller and a couple of coats of latex paint on the back, till it's solid looking

Hello, all that I use is contact paper that you can find at home depot or wal-mart. Take the time to get squeeze the air bubbles out and cut excess with a razor blade (pretty much like hanging wallpaper). If you do not like it one day, just peel it off. That easy and no mess.

contact paper
    I have never seen this in either store. What section might I find it?

Thanks

Rick...

Hello, In home depot ,it is in the kitchen cabinet department. It might be in the shelving department also. At wal-mart it is in the kitchen utensile department. It is in the same area as the kitchen drawer liners and cabinet shelf liners. Try to buy the name brand "Contact Paper" brand. It comes in a fairly wide color and pattern selection.It comes in different size rolls, just like wall paper. Look in the gallery section on Simply under the title "White butterflies" you will see the white cotact paper on that tank
    Last edited by moik; 11-10-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks moik,

I will have to go there tomorrow.

Rick...

Registered Member

On my glass tanks I use plasti-kote's industrial spray paint, it sticks to anything. The color is OSHA blue. I comes out to be a nice sky blue when done. I put 3-4 coats on or till I can't see any light coming through. Never tried black over it. I let the tank dry for at least 3 days so the odor is gone. I also clean the glass first by using a professional glass cleaner that comes out as a foam not liquid.

I've used American Accents spray paint, stone creations, pebbly, textured look, (rustoleum)...bottoms tan, back green.....cuz of the cost of spray paints, I textured the glass with a good coat, then covered that with an enamel of the same color, much less expensive...& the final product is the same.....lately, it's harder to find in the lighter colors, lol.....

Dottie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!