ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many here use a skimmer?

Default Re: How many here use a skimmer?

I've been wondering about this for a little while, and was surprised to see this recent discussion.

Do surface skimmers like this accomplish the same things as protein skimmers in SW tanks? Will it strip the water of it's organic impurities?

Would love to know if it works, as it sounds like a good tool to improve water quality in setups where you are not depending on frequent, high-volume, water changes to maintain good water quality.

PS - I should add, I'm considering this for planted discus tanks. And in a planted tank, if you've go a surface film, something is wrong. The film is the symptom, and the cause needs to be found and addressed. But even still, if this is a way to remove organic waste - even if not visible as a film - it seems like a good idea.
    Last edited by scolley; 10-27-2007 at 12:45 PM.
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by scolley View Post
    Do surface skimmers like this accomplish the same things as protein skimmers in SW tanks? Will it strip the water of it's organic impurities?
    Partially only. Of course skimmer removes all insoluble organic impurities from water surface but it cannot directly clean water from dissolved organic compounds. It can help you with proper water circulation and greatly improve aeration of the entire tank capacity. It may be also considered as a source of well oxidized water, suitable for further nitrification process and, probably, for oxidation of great part of soluble organic wastes.

Would love to know if it works, as it sounds like a good tool to improve water quality in setups where you are not depending on frequent, high-volume, water changes to maintain good water quality.
    If you are familiar with marine tanks then you should consider the Jaubert/Plenum method of filtration. It can work in both marine and freshwater tanks. Plenum allowed me to do WC once monthly (best score- 3 months) with no visible influence on discus health.
    Hans

I noticed a bit of film and a few bubles on top fo my water as well.

I think it may be because i just set the tank up.

WC, WC, WC that should do it!

Real Name
    Li

Hey! Didn't know about this thing, is it supposed to saturate the water with the right elements or just filter it? Found some reviews on them. I'm having my first big aquarium, you need a skimmer?

Real Name
    Tom

I use Eheim 350 and aquaneat surface skimmers in many/most of my tanks .
    They both work the same with the only difference being $20 less for the aquaneat and the aquaneat has a nice removable guard/strainer .
    I take the sponges out of all and actually place some foods right into them where they get shot into the water column catching the interest of some if my finicky eaters !
    If you keep the sponge in place you will need to turn them off during feeding and clean them often [no less the 2x a week] ..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Su...97477bcacc5d22
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

I am not quite sure why one would use a protein skimmer in a Discus tank. First of all, with frequent water changes, I doubt that you will generate much of a proteinaceous foam. It does not transport nitrates while phosphates either. The only advantage I could see is that it would aerate the water
    Last edited by captainandy; 04-06-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12