ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Califo (horizontal overflow) elbow alternative

Registered Member

Smile Califo (horizontal overflow) elbow alternative

Hi again

I have another idea i have for my future planted discus tank i wanted to run by you guys.

ok so i am pretty sure i want to assemble a califo style coast to coast overflow. if you don't know what these are check this link:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=619976

ive heard that these type of overflows are much quieter then the vertical kind, also ive read that installing an elbow fitting on the bulkhead inside the overflow box will virtually eliminate any sound BUT you have to make the box about 4" wide to be able to fit it.

so here is where my idea comes in, If your gonna build a overflow box why can't you also build another inverted box right on top of the bulkhead (sealing it from all directions but down)? so basically im making an "elbow" out of the same material i built the overflow (be it glass or acrylic).
    this way you can build it to fit even a very slim overflow and have an ultra silent ultra cool horizontal box that only needs to be wide enough for as to hold water for a good flow.

heres a crude paint diagram i made:

hmm i just thought of another thing you can do with these 'boxes': have the return water from the sump come back into the overflow box (via 2 more bulkheads), have the bulkhead siting as close to the bottom edge and seal it with the box (the box is glued to the bottom corner on top of the bulkhead), then cut an opening at the bottom of the overflow (smaller the the box or else the overflow will leak) to let the water out. this is good because:
    1. your return is blowing down which helps water circulation (since it is being pulled from the top) AND
    2. it will be virtually invisible with no protruding pipes and such (you can even perforate the bottom instead of opening the whole part to create a sprinkler effect to minimize direct currents)

What do you all think? im sure someone has done stuff like this but i havnt seen anything on the web yet. can anyone think of problems using this kind of setup?
    Last edited by OriTeper; 10-25-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Default Re: Califo (horizontal overflow) elbow alternative

Could you possibly get an "air lock" in that internal box and not have any water flow at all?

Tina

Registered Member

Default Re: Califo (horizontal overflow) elbow alternative

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
    Could you possibly get an "air lock" in that internal box and not have any water flow at all?

Tina
    not sure but that can be solved by fitting an air opening on the pipe outside. but i dont think it will be an issue since water is pushed into the overflow by gravity, i doubt a small pocket of air that size would stop a few gallons of water from dropping down.

also the pics i made are rather crude, in reality id make the box to fit the bulkhead better (at least from the top as to leave no gap for air)