AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 21 century plumbing

Registered Member

Default 21 century plumbing

This may sound silly to you but i was wondering if theres any better alternatives to pvc or vinyl plumbing.
    i know copper is a big no no, but come on, we live in the 21 century our phones can do more then any computer could 20 years ago. theres got to be some space-age piping stuff thats easy to work with, holds lots of pressure (thinner pipes) and are biosafe.

is there anything on the market like that?

p.s i should get some sleep

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: 21 century plumbing

Why? Nothing that is going to be financially practical. We have to save our extra money for more discus.

Take a look at this stuff... many new houses are being built with it... a buddy of mine redid his copper with it.. It impressive stuff...

PEX Rocks...

http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre...D=223&brandid=

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I use something like this product for plumbing jobs (central heater and waterworks), it's very nice,safe but damn is it expensive!!
    therefore I would not use it for hobby.
    I think this system also needs a special tool to connect the hoses, in the system i use (Unipipe) only the tool is 1000 dollar!

Good luck!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Take a look at this stuff... many new houses are being built with it... a buddy of mine redid his copper with it.. It impressive stuff...

PEX Rocks...

http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre...D=223&brandid=

hth,
    al
    i contacted them asking what they would recommend for plumbing a fw tank, they recommended using Aquapex tubing with sharkbite or hydropex fittings.

i dont know if i will actually get this stuff but its good to know theres an option...

Registered Member

I am A lisc. master plumber, and I have used alot of different materials, copper,pvc,cpvc,apex,aquapex,worsbo and a few others. As far as cost, ease of use,repairing, adding to a system, I don't know if you'll ever find antthig better than pvc.

Oh yea and its more readily available than just about anything, and its still probably the cheapist material out there. Sorry if this is what you didn't wat to here.....

Al M.

Registered Member

Talking Re: 21 century plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by OriTeper View Post
    This may sound silly to you but i was wondering if theres any better alternatives to pvc or vinyl plumbing.
    i know copper is a big no no, but come on, we live in the 21 century our phones can do more then any computer could 20 years ago. theres got to be some space-age piping stuff thats easy to work with, holds lots of pressure (thinner pipes) and are biosafe.

is there anything on the market like that?

p.s i should get some sleep
    IF IT WORKS DONT FIX IT. We had a major remodel 2 years ago the plummer did use the state of the art flex tubing and it was 4x what copper was at the time. He also told me he only uses it in appliactions that run up or down exsiting walls we have an older house so he used it and yes just the tool to work with it is at that time about 1500.00 with 1/2 and 3/4 sets so I my self will stick with the stuff we have been using all along. Mike

Registered Member

I insisted the plumber use the latest "new-tech" material described above when I built my home. It was considered "new-tech" here which is why a lot of plumbers still dont like it, but I'm told it's ben in use in Europe for many years and so has been proven.
    When it came to my fish room plumbing, I considered everything available and always came back to PVC.

Registered Member

Registered Member

But why?