ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duckweed, problem solver?

Registered Member

Default Duckweed, problem solver?

I'm searching for different ways to reduce nitrate
    levels in the discus aquarium there seems to be
    several options that are seldom are rarely used.
    Perhaps, you plant folks can add some information
    to help this problem.

I do not grow plants in my aquarium but it seems
    that if there is a plant that will grow on the surface
    and consume aquarium toxins, I should try that. Any
    information you might have in this area would
    greatly be appreciated.

http://www.fishfarming.com/recirc.html

Duckweed

Perhaps the most important feature of these little
    aquatic plants to freshwater fish culturists is that
    they are extremely efficient absorbers of ammonia,
    nitrate, phosphorous, potassium, magnesium,
    calcium, sodium, chlorine, boron and iron. In a
    properly designed water recirculation and purification
    system, duckweed can remove as much as 99% of
    the nutrients and dissolved solids in wastewater....

Banned

Default Re: Duckweed, problem solver?

You'll make thing confusing by looking for answers in two places...

Please take pics as you turn a 29 gallon aquarium into a million gallon aquaculture operation with settling tank, anaerobic tanks etc...

The majority of the aquaculture operations that I've seen or seen pics of use water changes...One of the top US koi breeders in TX is also a major aquaculture operation....and has run major catfish farms...I've never heard Brett mention Duckweed..

There's no question that plants are capable of removing elements from water,,,good or bad it doesn't matter they take what they want and when they die they release it all back

Large TT's or Bakki Showers on koi systems are very good at removing nitrate..... 3 to 4,000 gph being smashed over over the media gets them down to almost zero , Not very practical for an aquarium in the living room but water changes are still needed

Duckweed might work but I've seen duckweed become a headache for aquariums rather quickly. It is very prolific, and once you decide you want to take it out, it's nearly impossible.

If aquarium plants are out of the question. Try Pothos Ivy. You can submerge the roots in the water and the plant will grow on top of the tank, if that's what you're looking for.

That will help mitigate nitrates but as Graham has stated WCs will still need to be done for other things.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seecher View Post
    I'm searching for different ways to reduce nitrate
    levels in the discus aquarium

Would not simple wc help with this? Or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    Would not simple wc help with this? Or no?
    I would think that WCs would unless of course if there's nitrates in the tapwater.

Seecher, have you tested your tapwater or are you just not doing enough WCs?

Quote Originally Posted by phidelt85 View Post
    or are you just not doing enough WCs?

I'm thinkin this is it.

Registered Member

Alternatively you could keep the duckweed, or any other aquatic plants, in a seperate tank over ( below, beside) your main tank and run the water through this on its way to the filter.
    Regards
    B-O-F

Hi,
    I tried duckweed in a few 30 gal breeders this past year.. It made a royal mess with all the tiny roots breaking off in the water..

If you are really looking for a plant that would suck up nitrates and probably many other undesirebles, a good suggestion would be to try water sprite...its easy to grow , sucks up nitrates, and is easily trimmed back .

Another suggestion is to build yourself a small "refugium attached to the tank and then do a web search on
    "phytoremediation" it will turn up all manner of plants used to clean up toxins.. a refugium planted with these in hydroponic fashion would be an interesting project.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Greetings folks,

Let me answer some of these posts in this single posting.

Graham... ideas or suggestions might come up in one forum but continued discussion would be inappropriate for the original forum so I moved to discussion of plants to the plant forum, discussion of water quality to the water quality forum etc. as a former moderator of forum's I always appreciated that folks did that on there own, it saved me time and effort of moving their posts to the more appropriate forum.

As you know most koi ponds, at least the ones that I'm familiar with, are overstocked causing serious problems and challenges for their keeper. I'm talking about a balanced discus aquarium that is not overloaded. I have avoided live plants and now reconsidering that that might be a mistake on my part. Primarily for the elimination of nitrate.

phidelt... thank you for your suggestion of a hydroponic setup, I grew miniature roses for 25 years, commercially, utilizing some of those techniques. I'm familiar with them but somehow it escaped my mind... thank you again. This project that I'm involved in is trying to have a balance discus aquarium in which water changes occurred only once every six months. I think this is something that a lot of people would like to do, so they can enjoy the fish are with less maintenance.

I used 100% ro water properly balance mostly with Kent products. Starting off with 100% near-perfect water should be a place to start a project like this. The challenge is keeping it that way

Kindredspirit... water changes are not simple they are messy and time-consuming, this is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. But Thank you for your comments.

B-O-F ... I have no experience with the secondary tanks it does sound intriguing and I will research that aspect, thank you for your comments... very helpful.

Al... this is exactly the kind of information and I find the most useful. Someone who actually walked the walk. In further research I found little roots are a problem with duckweed, sounds like more trouble than its worth, I will research water sprite. I have copied your post and will carry through with researching the "refugium" project.

Registered Member

I'm searching for different ways to reduce nitrate levels in the discus aquarium there seems to be
    several options that are seldom are rarely used.
    Perhaps, you plant folks can add some information
    to help this problem.
    I do not grow plants in my aquarium but it seems
    that if there is a plant that will grow on the surface
    and consume aquarium toxins, I should try that. Any
    information you might have in this area would
    greatly be appreciated.
    Try Pistia stratiotes, it is really killing nitrates/phosphates sucker.
    And search for Jaubert/plenum method of filtration for nitrates reduction, it works quite fine in freshwater tanks too.
    It seem to be a good site for the beginning:
    http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...n/plenum.shtml
    Hans

If you want to use a floating plant to reduce nitrates and phopahtes that remains manageble the Amazon Frogbit or Limnobium Laevigatum is probably as good a bet as any.

Imo nothing replaces good husbandry though.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Greetings folks,

Kindredspirit... water changes are not simple they are messy and time-consuming, this is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. But Thank you for your comments.
    You are most welcome. But, my wc are not messy ~ unless I forget I am filling a tank!

Otherwise...pretty simple IMO.

Registered Member

After researching the plants suggested by you guys I have chosen
    Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides).

It seems it has universal approval as a starter plant for newbies
    in planted aquariums, little or no negative comments. it has a
    reputation for gobbling nitrates and can be grown either as a
    floating plant or anchored to drift wood or other aquarium
    decorations Thanks for all the input is greatly appreciated.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by phidelt85 View Post
    Duckweed might work but I've seen duckweed become a headache for aquariums rather quickly. It is very prolific, and once you decide you want to take it out, it's nearly impossible.

If aquarium plants are out of the question. Try Pothos Ivy. You can submerge the roots in the water and the plant will grow on top of the tank, if that's what you're looking for.

That will help mitigate nitrates but as Graham has stated WCs will still need to be done for other things.
    I couldn't agree more with what Jose said, this from someone who had duckweed in some tanks and now wishes he never did, it's a PITA plain and simple.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Water Sprite is a good choice.
    I find Pistia needs more light than Ideliver but Salvinia has worked well and is similar but much easier to manage than Duckweed.
    Duckweed is a curse, the plant equivalent to Hydra.

The whole idea of a naturally balanced tank is very close to creating a perpetual motion machine. An aquarium is always going down hill and only water changes really work. Aquariums are just too small. At best plant growth ameliorates some problems but not all.
    Consider; even lakes have a life span ultimately ending in complete eutrophication and formation of a meadow.

Using a separate plant refugium is the way to go and in addition, still use plants in the aquarium. A good species for refugium use is Najas guadelupensis. It grows natantly, rapidly, will fill the space available in the refugium and is easily harvested for nitrate export. The mass it forms tumbles within the refugium thus exposing all of it to enough light. I don't know any other plant that can do this. The floating plants are less efficient for this method, imo.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 11-08-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast