AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uber filter? Jaubert/plenum Cell-Pore

Default Re: Uber filter? Jaubert/plenum Cell-Pore

Not a problem kacey

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Here's a "simple" experiment for someone who has access to a lab and the proper equipment and apparatus. Perhaps it will end the "debate" regarding hormones or organics in the water.

The purpose of this experiment is to test the Total Organic Carbon or TOCin the water. I have access to a lab; however, we don't have the equipment to run TOC on site and send our samples off to a third-party lab for this particular analysis. I would get the equipment but cannot justify the purchase to management.

Take a BB tank with discus stocked at 1/10gal. So lets go with a 60gal with 5-6 adult discus. Perform a 75% water change initially. Feeding will have to be exactly the same quanity, type and frequency every day. If this test could be run on two seperate tanks one fed only live food vs. pellets/flakes, it would also answer the question as two whether live foods add less to the organic load on the tank which I tend to disagree against.

Take a 1L glass bottle and submerge it completely, making sure to remove all air bubbles from the bottle. Seperately record pH, Temp., TDS, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates. This will be the baseline.

Day 2: 24hrs laters, Take another 1L sample. Record the same data. No water change.

Day 3: Same as day 2

Day 4: Same as day 3

Testing will have to be done in two parts, after day 2 sample collection and again after day 4 sample collection, as the sample must be analyzed as soon as possible; however, I believe 24hrs should not alter the results too much. Ideally you want to run the test as soon as pulling the sample.

So.. who can run this experiment?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OriTeper View Post
    why not? oh and i call dibs on the first batch of 4 eyed discus fry you get from that tank :P
    Would that be the glow in the dark ones or the push me pull you ones ?
    Regards
    B-O-F

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234