AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Angels in the tank with discus.

Registered Member

Default Angels in the tank with discus.

can angel fish and discus coexist in a 55 gallon tank?I presently have six discus and six angels.One person told that this is ok,another person tells me discus only.Whats right?

Registered Member

Default Re: Angels in the tank with discus.

People can and do keep Discus and Angels together but the Angels can get a little to aggressive sometimes.

Discus always seem to be happier when they are the prime occupants of the tank.

6 of each also seems a bit crowded for a 55
    Regards
    B-O-F

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=47668

Try reading many previous posts in Tankmates ~ you can start here

Your tank is too small though for 12 fish ~~ usually one fish per ten gallons I think!

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Yes, your tank is too small to have all of them in there. Put the Angels in a tank by themselves and keep the discus in the 55.
    Scott

Real Name
    Mike

I have kept angels with discus with no problems at all. They didnt even bother each other. With Discus, they seem to be more interested in their own species and ignore everything else unless they are breeding and protecting a site.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

I agree with Mike ~ although I only kept one in with Discus

Registered Member

I also agree with Mike, I have had angels & discus together for years in a 36 gal tank with no problems at all.

Tom

When it comes to angels together with discus is definitely one of those "mileage will vary" topics.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    "mileage will vary"
    That analogy is so cute, and so true too!! Good one!!

Sue

I do keep 5 angels in a tank with 9 discus. i put the angels in when they where babies. The discus do there thing and the angels do there own thing. I haven't seen any aggression from the angels yet, "knock on glass" but I have seen my pair chase the angels away. hears a pic of my tank. So you have an Idea.

I also Know people that have like 10-12 discus/angels or both. But they do like water changes every day to keep the water clean. But you need to keep consistent water changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I kept one angel with my Discus with no problems whatsoever. In fact, the angel hung with the Discus as one of them. They all got along very well too.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

A few years ago I adopted a 2" discus who was lonely in the LFS. I brought him home and QT'd him, then put him in a 55 gallon with a bunch of quarter sized angel grow-outs. He was a happy little fish and didn't have any trouble finding food or holding his own. Of course I always fed extra to make sure everyone got their fair share.

I think the debate about discus and angels always boils down to disease. Some think that angels carry something that makes discus sick. I haven't found this to be true with clean angelfish. By clean, I mean angels that I've raised and treated and are absolutely healthy. I think if you start with clean angels and clean discus, you'll be alright.

For the record, I have always treated my angels the same as discus. Higher heat, lots of water changes, tons of food, etc. They thrive in discus conditions. I have kept lots of other fish this way, too -- Uaru, blue and Bolivian rams, port cichlids (aka black acaras), and most recently festivums. All have gotten along great with the discus so far. The discus were about 3.5 - 4" when I started mixing them with other tankmates.

Registered Member

I currently keep angels and discus in my 125 gallon tank. I sold most of the less aggressive eating discus, but plan to get more. The discus and angels keep to their own species, with the exception of my dominant male BT. It will keep a few angels in check, but nothing major.

Unfortunately, in a 55 gallon tank, 6 discus and 6 angels is overstocked.

My thinking about the angels and discus diseases, was probably in the early years when discus were first brought in. People were new with discus and probably ruled many of their diseases or deaths due to other species in their tanks.
    125g: 6*Discus, 2*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 4* L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, L-260 Queen Arabesque, 8*Cories, Farlowella cat
    20g long: 2*L-046 Zebra pleco, 1*L-183 Starlight bristlenose pleco, 30+* Cherry shrimp, 2*Amano shrimp, 5*Otocinclus, Farlowella cat

I had to take my Angel pair out. 6 discus at the time, and the Angels were already established to the 60 gal tank. The Angels were just to agressive for the Discus. If they had of all been put in at the same time, I think it would of worked. May try it again some day with younger Angelfish, they look good together if the tank is large enough. 6/6 in a 55 sounds cramped at best, to me.
    B

I always start with small angels and larger discus. I only keep wild angels but I don't think they present any hazards from disease if they are subjected to the same quarantine and de-parasiting procedures I use with wild discus.
    I would stay close to the ten gal/fish rule in a mixed angel/discus combination. Angels get big, too.

I don't think it is a good idea to start with large angels and small discus.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 11-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Larry Waybright