AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the nitrate tolerance for discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: What is the nitrate tolerance for discus?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post

I have never said europeans can't raise discus.. Why suggest I did? Because I disagree with you?
    I didn't mentioned it previously but there is a major difference between european and american style of discus keeping.
    Most of polish discus keepers look rather after proper water parameters (low hardness and conductivity, low pH) than huge water changes. Seecher have found by himself the same method, which we proved some years ago to be correct. And because of it I tried to advocate his point of view. Of course his position is impossible to defend- monthly WC are far too low, water saving is definitely NOT A REASON for WC restrictions.
    Our 50% weekly water change which I advocate for on my domestic forum (for not overcrowded tank) are considered to be huge, most people are doing 20-30% WC once or twice weekly. But most people (except breeders) keep discus in planted tanks.
    Of course juveniles and youngsters are raised in BB usually with daily at least 50% WC to keep them growing as fast as possible.
    But still with respect for water hardness and pH.
    This is getting no where Hans, and you are making it personal now.
    Nothing personal brew. I really think you are doing great job here. I'm reading this forum from 5 years keeping my mouth (or rather fingers) closed. Personally I consider your method of huge WC as fully correct and usually giving excellent results. But not always, not for every fish and not for everybody.
    best of luck to you and your "Balenced Aquariums"
    Thanks, I'll need it a lot.
    With respect
    Hans
    PS. Try do read "Ecology of the planted aquarium" by Diane Walstad, even if you have bare bottom only. She is an aquaristic extremist and I cannot fully agree with her, but she is also skilled american biochemist and exploring fish keeper.
    Definitely her thoughts and methods are worthy to be taken in consideration.
    Last edited by Hans Kloss; 11-09-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Thank Hans,

.....on all accounts.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seecher View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that. If that's how you want to treat
    your discus... so be it, they are your fish. However, there is another
    consideration and that's wasting huge amounts of water. But
    everyone has to make those decisions for themselves.

What I object to is misinformation. We are lead to believe by some
    people that discus have a very low tolerance for nitrate, under 10
    ppm, which necessitates draconian water changes, this apparently
    is not true. If folks want to be obsessive-compulsive about water
    changes that certainly is their business, but don't pass on that
    information to new folks as gospel. That's one persons opinion, for
    what it's worth.
    I believe after keeping discus for many years that regular wc do keep discus at their best, You become your enviroment remember the guy that only ate maccas for a month he felt like crap,Remember your fish depend on you,i'm shure you like to shower daily eat fresh food and change your clothes it makes you feel better,I know my fish love their daily water changes ! Greg great pics those spotted's look awesome.(must be the wc)

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Hans,
    I believe most, if not all of the people here were saying exactly what you just said. Raising juvinile discus works best when using a BB tank and doing daily wc's. Many of us take that further and continue with the BB tanks for adults as their goal is to keep the fish in the best possible condition. Working towards a tank thats as well ballanced and self sustaining as possible is another worthwhile goal and there are many others in the aquarium world. We can discuss, argue and dissagree over details and still learn. But, I think you'll agree, learning stops when people disregard every opinion that doesn't agree with their point of view.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain your ideas, it's been interesting.

Kacey

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    learning stops when people disregard every opinion that doesn't agree with their point of view.

Kacey
    How true this is!

Real Name
    Mike

Lets keep it civil or I will have to close this thread.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

As I'm exploring old stuff through the forum... came across this one. Maybe I shouldn't have said I'm Polish

... but at least I'm not nuclear engineer... sorry pharmaceutical chemist...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski77 View Post
    As I'm exploring old stuff through the forum... came across this one. Maybe I shouldn't have said I'm Polish

... but at least I'm not nuclear engineer... sorry pharmaceutical chemist...

Lol.. Adam Definetly read and research all the old posts here as theres a ton of information here since the forum was started in 2002. However, understand that when you get a whole bunch of people together to talk about something...odds are arguements happen as opinions diverge. Theres still alot to be learned from it but it can be a tad heated at times.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adam

Thanks Al. Indeed tones of information and the best way to absorb them (at least from my perspective) is to go through ebs and flows after setting up a new tank. Obviously I started to encounter some small problems so reading tones and finding solutions and advises from more experienced people. I’ll be updating my “tank journal” soon… planning to do it every weekend … so you’ll see what’s going on

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski77 View Post
    Thanks Al. Indeed tones of information and the best way to absorb them (at least from my perspective) is to go through ebs and flows after setting up a new tank. Obviously I started to encounter some small problems so reading tones and finding solutions and advises from more experienced people. I’ll be updating my “tank journal” soon… planning to do it every weekend … so you’ll see what’s going on
    An excellent way to go about it Adam, also do not be afraid to just ask outright for help,

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

WoW….. I just read this entire thread. People can be firecrackers when defending their opinions. .
    Just interesting how different views/methodology can be, even more so when you touch a controversial topic as water changes and planted tanks.
    Anyways, fun reading. Learned few things….

For anyone interested and have free time, I posted a video few weeks ago about a German breeder. He advocates for more filtration and less water changes AND he does not recommend beefheart at all. Great two topics: Nutrition and maintenance.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol yes people get excited! Nitrate is a GREAT instigator! Even the great guru came out of his pond to sell us his nitrate reducing media. Funny thing is 90% of the people checking nitrates with the API test kit never read the instructions. Nobody’s shacks the 2nd bottle and they all think their nitrates are 0. The other 10% do it all correctly but then look at the color chart and think they’ve got 100ppm!! Me I just don’t check.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Me I just don’t check.
    LOL I don't either

I only check when I am doing a fishless cycle, besides that I change water to often to have any considerable amount..

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    LOL I don't either
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

I only check NO3 for my planted tank. I used the EI method (limiting factor) to check consumption but I do 50% water change once per week to remove any potential excess. I keep NO3 at around 10ppm (using an all-in-one fertilizer), plants don’t need more as long as you keep it stable. Having a higher concentration does not mean plants will consume more.

And even with that minimalistic approach you MUST do water changes if you want to avoid algae.

Freddy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast