ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: White spots on discus!!!

Registered Member

Default White spots on discus!!!

So I bought some German Rams for my tank and I quarantine them for 4 weeks. They seemed pretty fine and when I introduced them into my tank they started getting white spots like "ich." I took those German Rams and I quarantined them in a 5 gallon tank. I treat them with parasite clear 2 times a day for the past 2 days and I have not noticed any improvement, in fact I think there has been an increase in these tiny white spots. Now, I'm noticing that my discus are having "ich" or those white spots on them as well. I have read that pp is pretty good at treating these white spots. My tank is at 86 degrees so I don't know how they would have gotten white spots "ich" because I thought they couldn't exist in high temperature? All my fish are eating normally and seemed pretty fine except that they have those white spots on them. I have Jungle "Clear Water" for PP. Should I just follow the direction of dosage on PP or is there some other direction? Also I have APC Aquarium salt should I add this and dosage PLEASE (Don't know if this is epsom salt)? I NEED HELP!
    Last edited by marywinston45; 11-12-2007 at 03:14 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: White spots on discus!!!

As far as I know Ich can live in higher temps, it's just that their reproductive cycle is speeded up at higher temps sp they are easier to eradicate.

Not sure what the modern day treatment is, I used to use meth blue
    Regards
    B-O-F

Aquarium salt is a rip off, any salt will do provided there are no anti caking additives. But there isw no need to add any.

Not sure of the concentration of PP in this product, I suspect its too low to be of any consequence. A product with Formalin and Malachite Green known as FMG in is a better bet for ich.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    A product with Formalin and Malachite Green known as FMG in is a better bet for ich.

Mary, a product called Quick Cure, is Malachite Green and Formalin, and may be easier to find ~ it is everywhere here in Cali ~
    Last edited by Kindredspirit; 11-12-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Registered Member

I also have methylene blue and quick cure. Which should I use? Which is more effective and how many days? I've noticed it has spread to a lot of my tetras but my angels are unaffected? How long should I continue this treatment and how many times a day? Will my discus start dying off?

Use the quick cure and you shouldn't lose any discus, watch the tetras though they can be more sensitive to meds. But remember you have to dose strong enough to beat the ich. Add air too. The instructions on the packet are good, but if you can't find them 2 drops a gallon will do it, but that may be hard on the tetras. 1 drop/gallon may work....
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I treat my tank with quick cure it and works great, ich gone within 2 days. I had rummy nose tetras and they seem ok, but not sure about other tetras.

Registered Member

This is what I did.

1. I took all my fish and put them in a 55 gallon, airstone (Full on) cycled and temperature at 87 degrees.
    2. I read that the higher the dose (Quick Cure) the better you are able to treat white spots so I did 1.5 drops per gallon (Direction said 1 drop per gallon)
    3. After a couple of hours the blue water turned back to normal water color.
    4. I noticed that there was fin rot on a couple of discus so after 12 hours I changed 50% of the water and I dosed another 1 drop per gallon (Then I went to bed).
    5. This morning I have noticed less spots on the rams but same or maybe a little more spots on the discus.

Is my dosing ok? 2 days with no white spots sounds like a miracle to me though?

-Besides all my discus looks healthy and eating.
    Last edited by marywinston45; 11-13-2007 at 08:07 PM.

What are you dosing with? blue sounds like meth blue??

I'd keep the dose about where you are, rams cannot take as much meds as discus can.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I'm using Quick cure. Just came back from work and I see that there are less spots on the discus but there are more spots on the rams now??? What is happening??

pcsb23-I should just dose 1 drop per gallon than?

Thanks!
    Last edited by marywinston45; 11-13-2007 at 08:12 PM.

In would dose at 1 drop per gallon, do large w/c in between doses if possible, that is just before you re-dose.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.