AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Yet another lighting question

Default Yet another lighting question

OK so lets assume you have more lighting than you need, which I do since I'm switching over from reef, would you go with higher wattage halides with less duration or PC's with longer duration or a combination? Also the way my reef was setup I had the lights coming on from left to right and then off the same way to simulate sunrise sunset. would this benefit a planted tank? The tank is 8 feet long. Keep in mind this isn't something I would be buying this is stuff that's already setup ready to go. There are alot of lighting possibilities I don't have and I don't want to buy anything else so let's stick with halides and pc flourescents. What would be the best combination.

Thanks
    Steve

Default Re: Yet another lighting question

Steve, if you choose to use the halides you will almost certainly need to add CO2 and in that size tank the diy stuff won't cut it. You will also need to dose ferts too. As for them simulating sunrise/sunset I say do it.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Thanks Paul.
    This will be a high tech tank. The aquacontroller will control lighting schemes, co2, automated water changes, fertilizer timers, heaters etc.

Steve

No probs Steve, should be some tank We will of course want to see pics
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Why are you getting out of a SW tanks?

The sunrise/sunset is a cool effect. I do it on my 125 with spiral PCs. Honestly, I think it's more for the viewer than the plants. I didn't see much of a difference either way. I actually had to cut some of the lights off sooner due to algae outbreaks and lack of ferts. I think it looks pretty cool in the morning when the east light first comes on and the west end is still dark.

Steve, go for it! Mh + Pc are more than enough to do what you want, although LED banks will sure do it perfectly, just play with the spectrum of the bulbs to achieve the look(spectrum leaning towards the red part will be more realistic, some 8000k pc will help you out)

Just remember that a dusk/dawn effect is for you in the tropics there is really no such thing, its dark and suddenly bright before you can really appreciated!

Good luck!!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.