ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alge eaters

Default Re: alge eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Kloss View Post
    Otos are far better . Have never seen otos eating discus food, but adult bristlenose prefer rather meat over algae.
    Hans
    I have nothing against Otocinclus, in fact, they are very good to keep in planted Discus tanks because they are able to clean algae from the more delicate leaves of some plants.
    It is true that Bushy Noses will also eat discus food but they really are the best all around algae eater. That they do eat discus food is actually a positive since they will eat much of the food that Discus can't find. They make a much bigger impact on controlling algae than any number of Otocinclus. Even a well fed Bushy Nose will spend the night cleaning every surface of any algae it can or will eat.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    They make a much bigger impact on controlling algae than any number of Otocinclus.
    About 40 otos is enough to keep my 220 gallons free of algae (except of those hairy green). Their summary weight is probably near to the weight of 2 adult bristlenoses.
    Hans

For the average retail customer, 40 Otocinclus cost $120
    Two Bushy noses, $10.

Hans, Your cost for Otocinclus is probably less than $0.25 each and one Bushy Nose adult will keep a 100 gal tank free of the edible algae. Gram for gram, Otocinclus use more oxygen than Bushy Nose. In cases where the DO drops to critical levels, Otocinclus will be among the first to show signs of distress.

Like most things, there are many different but equally good solutions for every problem. I keep both species because I like them. Bushy Nose just give the average aquarist more bang for their buck. I just have one in my planted 75 Heckel tank and clean algae about once every two weeks. If I remembered to turn off the lamps every night, I wouldn't have to clean it that often.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 12-11-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    Larry Waybright

my otos are sucking on my discus that i got a week ago
    are BN plecos harsh on plants? i have hygro and val and swords and ferns...
    <3 kat

Hi Katt-ja,
    I raise bristlenose in a planted tank and have them in my planted discus tank as well. My plants include crypts, vals, hygro, ferns and the bristlenoses don't damage any plants or pay any attention to my discus.
    Debbi

Breeding Sterbai Cories and Long Fin L144 Bristlenose Plecos

Registered Member

I tested out BNs in my QT tank with a couple swords. They sucked the life outta them. But thet seem to leave other plants alone, for some reason. And different people have different experiences with BNs and sword plants, too.

thanks. i think i'll trade in my otos for one of them

has anyone else experienced BNs to eat there swords?
    <3 kat

I have BN in 2 planted tanks and they are not hard on the plants. They do even clean the algae off of the amazon leaves without damaging them.

I also have ottos because they are so neat but they are sometimes mislabled in the store so you have to watch for that with them.
    As bright as the sun and twice as proud...I refuse to hang out under a cloud!

My algae crew is about 12 otto's, 2 BN's, 3 SAE, and 1 goldnugget in a pear tree. Thats in a fully planted 120 gal with discus in it and I have never seen any of them bother my discus or have I seen any signs on them that they have been getting sucked on.
    My fish are eating all of my money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12