AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November 2007 spotlight..Paul Butler aka pcbs23...

Default Re: November 2007 spotlight..Paul Butler aka pcbs23...

Great interview and pics! Thanks for the insight!
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Great interview Al and Paul!!

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus View Post
    That was a great interview. I can't wait to see you posting pics of fry . You are a great help here on Simply and I didn't know you had your own forum. How neat is that! I'll have to check it out. Best of luck and I can't wait to see what strains you decide to work with.
    Thanks Angela, the only fry I have at the moment is a batch of angels, hopefully I'll soon be getting some discus on the go too

Quote Originally Posted by B-O-F View Post
    Nice interview.

I have been looking for a good UK forum, Perhaps I've found it at last
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Enjoyed your story Paul!! I'd like to hear more about your planted tanks and such. And, of course, more pics of your fish
    Hi Brian, glad you enjoyed it! I've attached a pic of my now ex-high tech, I wrecked recently as we needed to setup a couple of display tanks at the recent UK Discus Show and no-one had brought any plants etc... so I raided my study tank, it was looking ok too, never mind - I had been itching to start over with this tank

Quote Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
    Nice interview you guys!! So we finally find out about the man who is "comfortably numb" Like others, I think you are an great asset to the forum, an definately a top notch guy!

Congrats on your forums anniversary! I think I told you that already...

You have got to be excited about the fish room. It is looking great! Though i dont think there is enough electrical outlets.

I remember when you set up the display tank with the wilds in it. It was a stunning tank then. Cant wait to see the updates!

Currently my handicap is 14
    I can do that with my eyes closed!... Unfortunately when I keep them open it goes way up.

I’d save the salt for my French fries
    You mean chips??

See ya on the boards...

tc
    Mark
    hehe thanks Mark, yes I mean chips my problem with golf, when I do play, is I still think I can play off 5!! Oh and there are never enough electrical outlets!! Glad you like the re-work, I'll post updated pics regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus_KC View Post
    Paul,

You are just a great asset for the forums and the hobby. Besides that, you are all class!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack
    Thank you Jack, very much appreciated

I have attached a few more pics, the Golden Albino was the 2006 Open Class winner and the wild was placed 3rd in two categories this year. The other pics are of my ex-high tech, before I wrecked it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmama View Post
    Great interview and pics! Thanks for the insight!
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by oodi View Post
    Great interview Al and Paul!!

Judi
    Thanks Judi
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

In my answers to Al's question I said I had a few oddball fish in my tanks, well how about this one?[/QUOTE]

Paul! Wonderful interview, I really enjoyed it. THanks also Al for your great questions.

Paul, this funny looking fish popping out of the gravel...is that a moose faced loach [or possibly called a horse faced loach]? I got one of these about 6 months ago as a gift from my son; I put him in the planted angel tank and never saw him again. The angels are big adults and I figured they had him for lunch until last weekend when I was cleaning the tank and there he was, twice the size as when I got him and looking quite lovely!
    What a quirky great little fish.
    Harriett

Hi Harriet, yes that quirky fish is a horse faced loach disappears into the gravel faster than a rat up a drainpipe!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I had NO idea they burrow--the substrate in my tank is silica sand so very easy to burrow, I'm certain. This is a great little oddball! I'll rsearcg a bit and see if I can find out more about him, since he stillexists!
    Best regads, and again--what a lovely interview.
    Harriett

Thanks for that interview Al and Paul!
    It's great to know there are such knowledgable and dedicated hobbyists out there within a keyboards reach.
    Paul, I hope to be able to pick your brain over the next couple of months as I set up my new tank.

Cheers!
    Steve

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,
    4)Do you have any other hobbies besides fish Keeping? I understand from my personal talks with you that you are a golfer? I still play golf, though I haven't been able to for the last 2 months, but hopefully I'll be playing again by spring next year. Currently my handicap is 14, which isn't too shabby when I don't practice and at the most play once a week. My ambition and intention with golf is to get back down into single figures, a lot will depend on available time and my body holding up.

Paul,
    This is an excellent interview providing us with a window into your life and enjoyed the read tremendously. Your answers to all of Al's questions demonstrates and shows your true love of the hobby and spot on knowledge on how to keep and raise discus. I like the idea that you manage your QT over a long period and only medicate as a last resort. Cleanliness and WCs being the first line of success.
    It also makes sense that your also an avid golfer; As with keeping discus, golf is a passion, with a drive to perfection.
    I also would love to see your planted tank as that is something I might dabble into in the near future

Thanks for all of your help here on Simply and best wishes with all of your endeavors,

Tad

Real Name
    Mike

Not surprised at all. I always say there are a few great ones that everyone stops to listen to. Paul, you are one of the them! Great interview! Thanks Al for simply and thanks to you and Paul for what you have done for this hobby and the hobbyists!

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I had NO idea they burrow--the substrate in my tank is silica sand so very easy to burrow, I'm certain. This is a great little oddball! I'll rsearcg a bit and see if I can find out more about him, since he stillexists!
    Best regads, and again--what a lovely interview.
    Harriett
    I've had this one for a few years now, they do well in planted tanks, and can help avoid dead spots in the substrate, as they burrow into it. They do ok in small 3mm gravel and do great in sand Glad you liked the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Thanks for that interview Al and Paul!
    It's great to know there are such knowledgable and dedicated hobbyists out there within a keyboards reach.
    Paul, I hope to be able to pick your brain over the next couple of months as I set up my new tank.

Cheers!
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, but it won't take long to pick my brains It will be good to see how your tank gets on though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tad View Post
    Paul,
    This is an excellent interview providing us with a window into your life and enjoyed the read tremendously. Your answers to all of Al's questions demonstrates and shows your true love of the hobby and spot on knowledge on how to keep and raise discus. I like the idea that you manage your QT over a long period and only medicate as a last resort. Cleanliness and WCs being the first line of success.
    It also makes sense that your also an avid golfer; As with keeping discus, golf is a passion, with a drive to perfection.
    I also would love to see your planted tank as that is something I might dabble into in the near future

Thanks for all of your help here on Simply and best wishes with all of your endeavors,

Tad
    Thank you for the very nice words Tad, picking up on the QT point, I feel that this method gives me the best chance of success. Its been my experience that too many people skimp on QT, sooner or later they will pay. I think golf probably drives me far more to distraction that discus do now, I had a really good year on the greens this year, now if only I get to them in fewer shots I might improve some!

Tad, I'd say have a go at a planted tank, opens up all sorts of new avenues!

I've posted some pics of the recent re-make of my wilds tank, hope you like them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikscus View Post
    Not surprised at all. I always say there are a few great ones that everyone stops to listen to. Paul, you are one of the them! Great interview! Thanks Al for simply and thanks to you and Paul for what you have done for this hobby and the hobbyists!
    Mike you are most welcome, it's been my privilege and pleasure.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: November 2007 spotlight..Paul Butler aka pcbs23...

Very well done, guys. It was a pleasurable read. I like your discus philosophy, Paul. People new to the hobby ( as well as alot of others) ought to pay particular attention your medicinal approach.Since most diseases discus are prone to are stress induced, fix the cause of the stress.

Mat

Hi Mat, glad you enjoyed it
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Nice one Paul and Al,

I really enjoyed that read.
    For those of you who only know Paul online, let me tell you, he is a very giving and generous person in the flesh. His passion for Discus knows no bounds, as well as his dedication to helping others in need.

Respect buddy.

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast