AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus in NY

Registered Member

Default Discus in NY

Hello all, I've been keeping/raising discus for more years than I'd like to admit. Although I have several tanks, I'm currently down to just one 55 gal discus tank. As is the way of all things most of the discus have come to the end of their tenure. I haven't purchased any fish in a long time, and I now find myself once again looking for a reliable source for quality discus. If anyone knows of a reputable breeder or a store in the New York area, especially north of the city, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks, Ed

Default Re: Discus in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hengel View Post
    Hello all, I've been keeping/raising discus for more years than I'd like to admit. Although I have several tanks, I'm currently down to just one 55 gal discus tank. As is the way of all things most of the discus have come to the end of their tenure. I haven't purchased any fish in a long time, and I now find myself once again looking for a reliable source for quality discus. If anyone knows of a reputable breeder or a store in the New York area, especially north of the city, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks, Ed
    Hi Ed, north of the city would be Harlem, Washington Heights or Inwood. I can direct you to one of my local source in NJ if you drive, it's 30 minutes from the city. He gets nice Discus if you are looking to hand select at good prices. If you do not drive and commute by subway there is a place mentioned here in Queens.

Fernando

Registered Member

By your definition of north of the city, residing here in Putnam County puts me somewhere on the outer reaches of the center of the universe (NYC). I do drive however, so Queens and even New Jersey is within reach, although I do tend to avoid the experience if at all possible.

Ed

Hi Ed,
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus.com!

Take care,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

By your definition of north of the city, residing here in Putnam County puts me somewhere on the outer reaches of the center of the universe (NYC). I do drive however, so Queens and even New Jersey is within reach, although I do tend to avoid the experience if at all possible.

Ed
    Hi Ed and welcome, Putnam county for us is up state NY. There is a place in Pearl River I think exit 5 or 6 off the Palisades. It's a nice place but I do not like how he keeps his discus. Some are very low quality, he put sick discus together new shipment. To me expensive and not worth it, if you want info let me know.

fernando

Registered Member

We do say upstate for Putman, but "north of the city" doesn't mean Harlem! Harlem is part of Manhattan, and all the other places listed are south of the Bronx!

That is definitely not north of the city--unless now the Bronx is upstate too!

Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    We do say upstate for Putman, but "north of the city" doesn't mean Harlem! Harlem is part of Manhattan, and all the other places listed are south of the Bronx!

That is definitely not north of the city--unless now the Bronx is upstate too!
    You are so right, since I am originally from the city I sometimes do forget that I am a BRONX resident.lol I am sure people have made that mistake....
    Fernando

It is what it is.............

Registered Member

Most people from Manhattan don't consider the Bronx to be part of the city anyhow, and you being a transplant kind of explains things

Registered Member

Most people from Manhattan don't consider the Bronx to be part of the city anyhow, and you being a transplant kind of explains things
    I know we are getting a bit off topic here, but it's funny that you should say how those in Manhattan don't concider The Bronx a part of the city. As it happens I spent the first 25 years of life on Bronx Blvd. and 213th st. To us the "City" was Manhattan, a place we barely ever ventured. In fact my own children, who grew up here in Putnam County, spend more time in the city than I ever did.

Ed

Registered Member

My Grandparents, who are still alive and in their 90s, remember when the Bronx was farms and was considered not only "upstate", but "the country".

Noooo!!!! ive lived in manhattan bronx and queens ,,you know what boro us manhattan people dont consider part of nyc,,its the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND.. in my 33 years ive only actually set foot on staten once to see a girl if it wasnt for that id never went..lol the ferry is free too but unless you got business there most nyc people dont really go there that i know of for the hell of it..lol
    Last edited by DISCUS USA; 12-05-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Welcome to simply...I do not know of local people but I do have many fish available...I have a current auction in progress.

Registered Member

"the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND"

I thought Staten island was in New Jersey

"the forgotten boro STATEN iSLAND"

I thought Staten island was in New Jersey
    LOL
    Fernando

Smile Re: Discus in NY

Christina I meant to ask, are you in the MEDICAL field?
    Fernando

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast