ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discus in NY

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus in NY

Hey hector
    I for one wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of Blue Gold's stock. And I'd venture a guess that Mr. Huang wouldn't mind all of us seeing what he had to offer either. Soooo, if you ever happen to be at his store, and happen to have a camera...

Ed

Ed i dont work for Blue Gold so maybe you need to speak to mr huang about pictures sorry..

Registered Member

I've been to the store this past week and they have a good selection of very healthy discus. Mr. Huang said that a new shipment would be coming in towards the end of the year.

Registered Member

Good to know. Thanks.

Yeah definately next shipment should be even more interesting than last bunch of high quality goodies..

Registered Member

I keep seeing posts about this place and was going to be in the city so I called to try to get some info and whoever answered the phone wasn't much for volunteering information. I don't know if it was a language barrier problem or what but he did give me the hours he was open after a few tries but then hung up on me. I would have liked to know if he would be able to pack up anything I bought good enough to make the 7 or 8 hour drive back to my house. In any case I was about 5 miles from the place yesterday and started heading in that direction with the intention of checking it out but ended up sitting in traffic long enough to give up on the idea. That 5 miles probably would have added at least 3 hours to my drive (there & back) because traffic was backed up on the outbound also...and it wasn't even rush hour yet. If I would have known for sure that if I saw something worthwhile that I'd be able to get it home I might have stuck it out.

Mike

Just to let out a great secret, Blue Gold Aquarium Inc. is one of, if not the best Shop for Discus in NYC, Nassau, or Suffolk County. The address and phone number is: 8612 Whitney Ave, Elmhurst, NY 11373 Phone: (718) 565-8583 I started a new thread because people may think its in Flushing from the other thread. Its off Queens Blvd and Broadway. You head North on Broadway and look very carefully for Whitney Ave. The Discus are AMAZING, and the prices are as good or better then the internet sellers, no shipping, and you get to pick the fish! The owner even held my order for a few days as I was not prepared to take them home when I visited. Call first, and ask when a new order is in. The shop looks drab and there is only one discus tank upstairs, but ask to see the discus in the basement, then be prepared to go broke. A must see for any NY discus fan. The fish are from Malaysia, is that's a turn off be forewarned, but they eat color bits and other dry food as well as frozen, and the owner will feed them for you. After so much disappointment looking at stores all over NY, I was like a kid after leaving here. Look, enjoy, and hopefully you'll be as happy as me, I bought 12 3 to 4" fish (bodies) for $450.
    Last edited by MSD; 12-26-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Talking Re: Discus in NY

When I visit NYC during spring break, I am definitely going there. I want my BLUE SAPPHIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I have already entered the address and phone number into my rolodex...thanks for the info). mike

Let me modify my answer a bit by saying that the question was about local discus sellers in NY not private board sponsors. 99% of the time it is better to buy from the reputable dealers that sponsor themselves on the board. This is a rare case of someone wanting a shop local to NY and it happens to have excellent Discus stock.

Registered Member

Sooo, I was in Brooklyn today dropping off my son at school and decided to swing by Blue and Gold on my way home. This is a very small shop with the most extraordinary discus I've ever seen for sale, and this being with them nearly sold out of their latest crop with a new shipment expected next week. Be that as it may I found myself compelled to purchase one of their checkerboard just the same.

Be forewarned, there is somewhat of a language barrier here, being that you are indeed in one of Queen's more ethnic neighborhoods the conversation was mostly "How much for these beautiful fish?" "Fifty dolla, how many you want?" "Just one for now, thank you." "One?" "Yes, just one" (discretion being the better part of valor when one is introducing new members to a family that the matriarch believes is all well and good as it stands) "We get more next week." "That's great."

And what a one. I've been keeping and raising discus for a very long time, and I can honestly say that the "one" is one of the finest fish I've ever had the privilege of gracing one of my tanks. It glows.

Prior to my departure this morning my daughter was convinced that I had volunteered to take her place riding shotgun on the way down and driving the family wagon home on this latest journey to deliver her brother and his prized futon to their respective places on the tenth floor (great view) of his current dormitory, in order to sneak a peek at his current love interest (which, I have to admit would have been a side benefit, but alas it was not to be. The phrase "Fore warned is fore armed" comes to mind. I guess this time was yet the right time for such a significant circumstance for such a delicate young lady to endure,) however, my cover was blown when I refused a last minute invitation, received by cell phone on my way home, to dinner and a movie with my lovely wife and said daughter, with the excuse that I had to acclimate my newest prize possession to its new home.

Oh well, once again warmed over Christmas dinner leftovers (accompanied by a reasonably fine Bordeaux, to take the edge off. of course), are but a small price to pay for one's passion. Don't you think?

Ed

Wow Ed it seems like you may become a regular customer, lol.
    Fernando

It is what it is.............

Registered Member

Any pics of the finest discus to grace your tank?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    Wow Ed it seems like you may become a regular customer, lol.
    If only. To become a regular customer I'd have to have a few more tanks.

Ed

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lildark185 View Post
    Any pics of the finest discus to grace your tank?
    My digital photography skills are a bit lacking on all counts to say the least. However this link (if it works) http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60502
    will bring you to the Checkerboards that were shipped, one of which I purchased.

Ed

Registered Member

I thought you would have had a personal picture of the discus but they are all stunningly beautiful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast