ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Steralizing filter inbetween tanks

Registered Member

Default Steralizing filter inbetween tanks

I have a HOB filter with the 8 micron element . I would like to move it from tank to tank to "polish" the water. I am hoping to do this without disasembling the filter each time.
    My plan was to run it in a bucket of water with some bleach in it and then to do the same with other buckets with tap water to remove the bleach, Then run it in a bucket with clorine treatment in it to insure I have removed all the bleach. Will this work? any other ideas? Thanks; Don T.

Gold Member

Default Re: Steralizing filter inbetween tanks

clean HOB with bleach then rinse set out side for a couple days good to go.As you know bleach is chlorine and is in a gas form so air is the only way to break it down. this how I clean my magnum 350 filters.
    Randy

Hi Randy,
    I don't know if you've had this happen yet, but I used to have a couple magnum 350s...great cannisters, but when you bleach them... becareful of the gaskets..I turned mine to a sticky gooey puddle of mush one time with too much or too long bleach...

When I want to clean a cannister now, I break it down and soak in bleach.... but the gaskets I soak in Hydrogen peroxide 24 hours or rubbing alcohol 20 minutes.

Don,
    I have a HOB filter with the 8 micron element . I would like to move it from tank to tank to "polish" the water. I am hoping to do this without disasembling the filter each time.
    My plan was to run it in a bucket of water with some bleach in it and then to do the same with other buckets with tap water to remove the bleach, Then run it in a bucket with clorine treatment in it to insure I have removed all the bleach. Will this work? any other ideas? Thanks; Don T.
    I would not do this...If you keep pulling organic matter out of a tank... and bleaching it and running the filter in water to neutralize than filtering again... you'll block up the micron Pores... you need to break the filter down and rinse out the organics and particles that the bleach has reacted with IMO.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Yes, I would have to dissasemble and clean after using. What I was hoping to do was run it in several tanks (steralizing inbetween) and then clean properly. Don T.

Don,
    You can try it ,but I think you may wind up with issues.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Gold Member

Al
    I just clean my filters that way.Don't run bleach thru the system.Don you could run PP thru your system in a bucket also
    Randy

Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have to do this (polish ) often so If I try it I'll do it to some angels or tigerbarbs before I try it on the discus. I may try something besides bleach. How abought a Formalin? Don T.

Don ,
    Are these HOT magnums? If so I have 2 of the pleated micron cartridges you can have maybe use one on each tank...then you could pull out the cartridge...run the filter in bleach for a short time and rinse... and put the micron for the next tank in. it.

... I never use them.....drop me a pm if you want them.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

thanks; They are the 250g HOT not the 350 canister. I have 3 or the micron filters now but thanks for the offer. Don T.