AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What is the name for these?

Registered Member

Default What is the name for these?

What is the name, both common and formal for these cats?

Registered Member

Default Re: What is the name for these?

Corydoras sterbai common cory cats

Great little guys good with Discus

I raised over 500 Corydoras sterbai last year and was able to get this photo of them schooling. They are the prettiest of the Corys.
    Larry Waybright

I love cory's they do an awasome job cleaning up the tank..especially when you have a nice school of them in a big planted tank...they can get in the smallest places to get the little peices of food....i always keep a school of a few different kinds in my planted tanks...

Registered Member

I agree- Sterbai are a great looking and well behaved little cat. Can't wait to set up my community tank and get some.
    Tony

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I raised over 500 Corydoras sterbai last year and was able to get this photo of them schooling. They are the prettiest of the Corys.
    How did you go about breeding them.. I just picked up 6 and I would like to try and get some fry from them...

Registered Member

That's what I have in with my discus. Cool little fellas, huh?

Real Name
    Mike

I only have sterbai also. They do well at discus temps. They do hang together all the time and dont bother the discus.

I have two of these and two of the cories that are kind of red/green with black running through thier bodies, and I like these the best! Really fun to watch..........my wife says they remind her of dogs........they are our "tank dogs"...........they do look like they are wagging tails when they scoot along the bottom!

Registered Member

I bought 6 almost 2 years ago and now I'm down to one. I love them and thinking about getting more.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by thang45 View Post
    I bought 6 almost 2 years ago and now I'm down to one. I love them and thinking about getting more.
    They are a really cool fish. I bought one as a test (to check compatibility with discus, temperature etc.). I didn't buy more (to build a school) because in the beginning, this particular fish was way too energetic. My family called it "The Psycho Fish" because it was everywhere at the same time.

It's doing really well now and has calmed down a lot. In its current state, it is an absolute joy to have in the tank. As an aside, the largest clown loach appears to have adopted this Sterbai as a pet. They hang out together. It's really cool to watch.

Tim

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by s10_xtreme View Post
    How did you go about breeding them.. I just picked up 6 and I would like to try and get some fry from them...
    I started with 12 in a well planted tank and now have 14. They just kinda do their own thing and breed for me. I get eggs about every 40 days it seems like and maybe one or two will find a spot to hide and make it to adulthood. I'm about to put my discus in the tank and I'm sure that will be an end to my breeding program

planetcatfish has a lot of info on breeding them, including posts from Larry.