AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my 125 angel tank

Default Re: my 125 angel tank

btw, maybe i should've mentioned dimensions. my tank is a 5'er. 60"x18"x26", lighting is 4 4' VHO lamps which run 110 watts each. right now i'm just shy of the 2 watts per gallon if you don't count the antinics. so if i switch all the bulbs to daylights i'm looking at about 440 watts to 125 gallons of water so about 3.5 watts per gallon. now if i were to need more light i could split my reflector, mount them under the canopy and add the 65x2 pc fixture. but i was told for freshwater plants those vho's should maintain about anything.

so what i'm trying to figure out i guess is what the tank needs yet. i wanted to find some flourish or something and try that to see if thats what they needed. if not i'm guessing its co2 they're looking for.

one of these days i'll have to get some test kits and figure out where everythings at. i think i tossed most of my freshwater kits while i was reefing.

senso

Mike

Welcome. Planted tank will provide you with a lot of pleasure, but in getting there, no doubt there will be some challenges, all surmountable.

Comments above all relevant. The WC are adding some CO2 which is spurring the growth. If you remain low tech, I would advise that you remain conservative in adding ferts. Stay away from macros until you clearly understand what your systems is already producing, and then assess your needs. Still add slowly.

Some suggestions
    1. Soil. You appear to use gravel as a substrate. You may want to consider a soil, e.g. Eco - Complete.
    2. Lights - actinics do not really benefit plants. Look at a 6500k combo with 10,000
    3. Plant choices. Ferns, anubias, crypts, echinodorus, are good low tech options

Have fun with it

Rossano

actually, the substrate is a sand/gravel mix, i was going to go straight sand but thought the gravel would help stop it from getting too packed.

You will have enough light with the 2 110W tubes for a low tech tank. If you go with 2 more you will need CO2, ferts and more plants. CO2 needs a bit of thought and planning, you will need to undertand the relationship between gh/kh and ph re ppm CO2 as well as dosing regimes etc.

Get your self some test kits, you are going to need gh, kh, ph, PO4 and NO3 and it would make sense to get an Fe test kit too.

Flourish is a general purpose plant food. Flourish Excell is a source of Carbon fopr plants. 2 different ferts.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

thanks, i've got some homework now i'll update you guys later on. i'd really like to fill in the lower half of the tank.

i want a nice planted FISH tank. not a plant only tank, so my goal is to create a nice bottom cover, with some plants growing up higher and the swords and stuff creating some nice upper cover. i really don't want my fish getting lost in all the vegitation. but i think to achieve my goals i'll have to move into CO2 and ferts.

senso

Mike

There are a few fish one could add to avoid any compacting of the sand. Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but beware they tend to overpopulate if left unchecked, which usually requires apistos or a loach to keep the numbers down.

I periodically stir up the sand when doing large WC

Rossano

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12