AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barb Newell was SPECIAL!

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Default Barb Newell was SPECIAL!

I was hoping this thread could be stories, thoughts, etc. about how Barb had a place in your life. I'm hoping her family could later read about the people she touched.

So please join me.....................

Years ago when I first came to SD I had PM Barb about a med.
    Of course she lent a hand.
    After that we kept in touch.

When she discovered she had cancer we started talking a bit more.
    Let's just say I have some health issues myself.
    I encouraged her to keep her discus to use them to heal.
    To keep hope alive. We had some good conversations.

Those that don't know Barb that well and I certainly didn't know her as well as I wish I did but this is an example of the type of person she was so maybe through this you can see what a lot of people have seen throughout the years.

Not long ago out of the blue I get a PM from Barb asking me how my health was doing. It's not like Barb and I spoke every month.
    Months would go by. Sometimes 6 months or more.
    And here she is sick asking me how I'm doing.

I'm having a really hard time here expressing myself how much that meant to me that she cared enough to take the time to pm me.

I want to leave you with this thought. In the other thread a common theme was that wasn't fair she had to go. Life is short indeed sometimes. A lot of times it makes no sense.
    I'm sure a lot of us here wish we had pm Barb and asked how she was doing in the last few weeks. Here is something to think about in that regards.
    Hopefully I can do better.

Author is unknown...................

I would rather have one little rose
    From the garden of a friend
    Than to have the choicest flowers
    When my stay on earth must end.
    I would rather have a pleasant word
    In kindness said to me
    Than flattery when my heart is still,
    And life has ceased to be.

I would rather have a loving smile
    From friends I know are true
    Than tears shed 'round my casket
    When to this world I bid adieu.

Bring me all your flowers today,
    Whether pink, or white, or red;
    I'd rather have one blossom now
    Than a truckload when I'm dead.
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 12-06-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Default Re: Barb Newell was SPECIAL!

Oh wow I just heard from mark that she passed, she was a special woman, when i first met her she was so sweet and nice, for the battle she had to deal with. Its such a shame, to see that amzing person pass.

I got 4 discus from her and she gave me one free. I also was going to get some more form her just recently.
    Last edited by architect1; 12-06-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Greg,
    very nice thought's and great poem,Whilst i did not know Barb personally i did know what she bought to this forum.knowledge,passion and friendship !

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

I didn't know Barb as well as some others here but I do have some nice memories of her.

Barb and I would PM back and forth quite a bit and we talked on the phone a few times. She was always interested in how things were going in my life. We'd talk about marriage and education and fish diseases.

A couple of years ago Cary Strong and I talked about taking a road trip up to see her. I have been drooling over her Ocean Greens since I have been active here at Simply and to get some from her in person would have been very special indeed.

It's good to know that her memory will live on in the hearts of the people that had the privilege of knowing her. The fish that she has so lovingly raised will continue to bring people enjoyment for years and years to come. How cool is that?

Barb was a very sweet woman. She's left this world a better place than how she found it.

I'm really going to miss her.
    Seek ye the truth and the truth will set you free.

The fish that she has so lovingly raised will continue to bring people enjoyment for years and years to come. How cool is that?
    Very cool! That's great you thought of that!

Registered Member

I too exchanged emails with Barb. We talked about her treatment and I shared stories of my experience with my wife, who went through treatment for leukemia. She is a wonderful person and will be missed.

Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Registered Member

I clearly remember Barb joining Simplydiscus years ago. She was so excited and full of enthusiasm and doing everything she could to learn about her new born passion for discus. I remember clearly her asking multitudes of questions and spending hundreds of hours learning as much as she could, and from her spirit and drive I followed many of her threads and learned along the way with her. I can remember her having ups and devastating downs with her hobby and members like Al and Cary stepping up to the plate to help her succeed. Barb had a serious passion for success and used hard work and dedication to become successful. She became so successful that she became a very successful breeder, started her own business and became a highly successful Moderator here on Simply. She would spend countless hours on the forum helping any member who was in need. She was the epitome of "pay it forward" and her advice was always "Spot on!"
    I really got to know Barb when I was a moderator here at Simply and got to work with her on forum projects. We shared lots of IMs and Emails discussing all facets of our shared hobby and just life in general. I clearly remember her sharing her deepest love for her children and when she was diagnosed with cancer she was worried as any parent, what would become of her kids. She shared her disdain for being sick and vowed to do everything within her power to overcome and become healthy again.
    Barb has touched many lives here on the forum and in her individual life outside of the forum. She will be missed but not forgotten.

Tad

Quote Originally Posted by Tad View Post
    I clearly remember Barb joining Simplydiscus years ago. She was so excited and full of enthusiasm and doing everything she could to learn about her new born passion for discus. I remember clearly her asking multitudes of questions and spending hundreds of hours learning as much as she could, and from her spirit and drive I followed many of her threads and learned along the way with her. I can remember her having ups and devastating downs with her hobby and members like Al and Cary stepping up to the plate to help her succeed. Barb had a serious passion for success and used hard work and dedication to become successful. She became so successful that she became a very successful breeder, started her own business and became a highly successful Moderator here on Simply. She would spend countless hours on the forum helping any member who was in need. She was the epitome of "pay it forward" and her advice was always "Spot on!"
    I really got to know Barb when I was a moderator here at Simply and got to work with her on forum projects. We shared lots of IMs and Emails discussing all facets of our shared hobby and just life in general. I clearly remember her sharing her deepest love for her children and when she was diagnosed with cancer she was worried as any parent, what would become of her kids. She shared her disdain for being sick and vowed to do everything within her power to overcome and become healthy again.
    Barb has touched many lives here on the forum and in her individual life outside of the forum. She will be missed but not forgotten.

Tad

AMEN TO THAT TAD!!

Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Registered Member

A little more than a year ago we lost one of our favorite daughters of the discus hobby. The lessons about life, friendship and discus keeping will remain with me forever. You are missed but not forgotten!

God bless Barb,

Tad

Amen Tad!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Right on Tad!
    Double up on that AMEN AL!

Registered Member

Happy Holidays everyone,
    I am not as active as I used to be on SimplyDiscus but still try to visit as often as I can. I visit to send a few PMs to long time friends and sometimes just visit to read what is going on in the hobby. My visit today is to remember a friend.

Another year has passed, and I would like to take a few moments to remember a "special" discus enthusiast.

Reflecting over the years its great to see how many hobbyist here on this forum, have step up to the plate to help out those in need. For those who did not know Barb Newell you missed out on one of those people who "always" provided help, answers and solutions to those who asked. She was also quick to provide encouragement and a pat on the back for a job well done!

It is the season for giving, and sometimes the best gift is taking the time to remember. Barbs legacy is still part of this great forum and is not forgotten.

Tad

Tad, I still think of her. She was a great woman and a good friend. Hope her family is doing well.

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

She definitely was a very special person. When I first became a member on Simply, she was always helping everyone, including myself. I too hope her family is doing well. She is missed by many.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I remember her as being the first to welcome new members and first to lend a hand when you needed help. I'm glad to have known her.

Kacey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast