AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: update gold nugget tank

Registered Member

Default Re: update gold nugget tank

good to here from you Ike hope all is well with you and the family. I have never felt better i guess a second chance at good health is always good. My discus finally decided to breed and what is cool is it is an f-2 gen. so that makes me happy since it had been over a year since I have had babies. For every one else I am keeping all 3 kinds of nuggets in a 75 they get along very well but that is about all I keep with the exception of a few loaches to keep snails down and some tetras. Their was a report of a guy that had bread some in captivity about 2 years ago but I have not heard of any since that. That is my ultimate goal is to get them to breed. I do keep them in 100% RO at a temp of 82 and have only lost one over the last 2 years which is not bad since they are wild caught. When I got them they were just over 2 in and some are getting close to 5 so I hope that they are getting close to breeding age but who knows. Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Who is a good breeder supplier for Golden Nugets ? What is a good reputable forum for Plecos ?

roberto.
    I don't know anyone in the US breeding GN's. I love them as well and hated when I lost my first GN (4.5") due to it jumping. ExocticFinds.net does import them. You can also check any local fish clubs in your area for people selling them as well.

Beside PlanetCatfish.com, you can also go to PlecoFanatics.com. PF users are a little more active, IMO, and the site loads faster for me.
    125g: 6*Discus, 2*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 4* L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, L-260 Queen Arabesque, 8*Cories, Farlowella cat
    20g long: 2*L-046 Zebra pleco, 1*L-183 Starlight bristlenose pleco, 30+* Cherry shrimp, 2*Amano shrimp, 5*Otocinclus, Farlowella cat

Real Name
    Walter

Walter do you keep them together ? How big of a tank? I read some on them and they say they are kind of delicate keepers and their breeding in captivity is "Unreported " I assume that means they have not been bred in captivity .
    The ones I saw are categorized as L177 .
    I saw one at the Ohio Extravaganza show and fell for them , they look very interesting.
    I will just keep reading and see where that takes me.

roberto.
    I think the ones I have recently purchased are L18's.

They are currently in a 20 gallon for quarantine.

Yes, unfortunately IME they are harder to keep - I've lost a few of these; jumped out, got in a fatal fight with a synodontis angelicus, didn't adjust/ acclimate well when moved from my tank at work back to my apt, and one more died when I did a water change (which also killed some of my zebras - needless to say, I age my water now and all is fine).

HTH,

Walter
    Walter

Thanks for the replies to my questions . Are they that delicate ? Am I going to be able to change water from Tap , add prime and regulate the temp with this guys ? Bare tank with maybe a piece of driftwood , will that be OK ?
    Maybe I need to go read more about them and not waste all of your time here.

roberto.

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies to my questions . Are they that delicate ? Am I going to be able to change water from Tap , add prime and regulate the temp with this guys ? Bare tank with maybe a piece of driftwood , will that be OK ?
    Maybe I need to go read more about them and not waste all of your time here.

roberto.
    i actually like reading all this info. about gold nuggets. i know that like many other types of plecos, they have to have driftwood in their tank. it's actually part of their diet.
    aka David
    75g: 6 discus, 8 sterbai, 3 ancistrus
    "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend"

Real Name
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin Dip View Post
    i actually like reading all this info. about gold nuggets. i know that like many other types of plecos, they have to have driftwood in their tank. it's actually part of their diet.
    There's a lot of info on the goldnuggets on the 'net. Just do a Google search on "Baryancistrus" - other people have had a harder time with these pretty fish too (unfortunately). My current ones are doing okay - eating and not jumping out (I have the water level lower in the tank).

HTH,

Walter
    Walter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12