ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *****How to test for ammonia when you use Prime*****

Default Re: *****How to test for ammonia when you use Prime*****

That remove ammonia? I doubt it, but Please enlighten me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DerekFF; 05-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Registered Member

Biology 101, plants consume animal waste.

Lol are you with me or against me here. You just supported my statenent. There are very few people here who would rely on their plants for ammonia control. Most of those planted tanks also have decent canister filters to go with them. (All of these things are just support for why testing for ammonia is a little on the paranoid side)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    There are very few people here who would rely on their plants for ammonia control. Most of those planted tanks also have decent canister filters to go with them. (All of these things are just support for why testing for ammonia is a little on the paranoid side)

Although few, it's probably not a good idea to mislead the reading public that everyone does massive water changes.

In regards to water testing, in this hobby of ours, you can't just start from no where and expect to know everything overnight, that's where most of the problems occur, too full of oneself and over confident.

I suggest to new and old hobbyists to test their water from time to time, because unless you are the one processing your own water, you just never know what the municipalities do and when they do it. A test here as there could be the difference of life and death for your fish.

I already stated that I did not say that everyone does large water changes, you put that in. I'm definitely also not saying to never test your water, but the whole worrying about false readings of ammonia levels when using prime is what I'm getting at. The only time I would test for ammonia is 1.at start up or 2. If something is major wrong. City water suppliers may under certain circumstances dose larger amounts of chloramines but I've never hear of ammonia spikes in city water. This isn't me saying dont ever test for stuff. I'm just commenting on the whole false reading of ammonia when using prime and ammonia in general. It's so so rarely the problem.

Registered Member

I agree with DerekFF, any hint of an issue in my tanks the first step is water changes. Also if you do a test and the parameters are out of whack, your first step should be a water change. Pretty much the same result, just a different path to the solution. Somewhere, someone once said, "the solution to pollution is dilution".

Registered Member

Well, from the ones who do the majority of posting, it'd be a natural assumption that the members collectively do massive water changes every day.
    New members or lurkers post problems and the battle cry is wc wc wc with lots of chemicals.

I only flew the test kit route when I first started many years ago. Following recommendations from LFS and bbs (new kids won't know what a bbs is ). Sheesh... Then it was chemicals and ammo and carbon and water changes. The finer details finally sunk in and I haven't had a test kit since. Get your filtration going, do the water changes and let the cycle run its course and complete. Ammonia to start from the fish. Nitrite spike when nitrobacter gets started eating ammonia. Nitrate when nitrosomonas establishes in response to the nitrite.
    Anywho, you all know that.

I've only read reports of false readings when you use prime. I'm using prime now cycling tanks but don't test. My third discus tank was started a week ago. All 3 cycling with discus. The first is complete and still on 2 sponges but its only getting a 10% change now while removing detritus.

Registered Member

Does. Anyone have experience with alum to remove algae perhaps you could comment. Thank you in advance for you help.

Registered Member

One thing I would like to say, Seachem made a new product that's 50% more active than Prime, it's called Alpha. Just saying because it seems like a good product....

Quote Originally Posted by 1.0reef View Post
    One thing I would like to say, Seachem made a new product that's 50% more active than Prime, it's called Alpha. Just saying because it seems like a good product....

meh, many here use safe. No sense paying for water
    --Don--

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Is there any other test kits that will give good results using Prime besides Seachem. I'm placing a order with Fosters and Smith and although they carry other Seachem kits but not the ammonia kit. I do need good readings as i'm starting up a fish less cycle in a new tank.

I would watch for nitrite readings. This will come when the bacteria start eating the ammonia and is the second stage. At least then you will know that stage is ending. When the nitrites fall and the nitrates begin to rise, you are close to being ready for fish.
    Otherwise you will have to order the seachem kit from somewhere else.
    Hth
    Ardan

As per my other post , skip the prime, just use regular dechlor, as you don't need to lock up ammonia for a fishless cycle. no need to worry about chloramines. then you can use any test kit for ammonia

hth
    Ardan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12