ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: ?? Re Al's Glad storage containers as pots

Default ?? Re Al's Glad storage containers as pots

Hi Al..
    Love all your innovative ideas re semi planted tanks. I've tried the pothos and spider plants and they look great draping over the tank. Didn't take long to root either.
    I'm not a really big fan of orange clay pots in the tanks so I'm curious about your glad food storage container idea in someone else's post.. Easily hidden.. as I have driftwood and sand substrate with a few anubas tied to the wood and would like to add aditional plants. Do you poke holes in the containers for drainage and circulation like the clay pots have?? Do you ever take them out and repot with new "soil" etc?? Would like to try it with swords.. Thanks for all your great ideas and this wonderful forum. Sue

Default Re: ?? Re Al's Glad storage containers as pots

I posted that I use the Gladware containers as pots.
    I do not put holes in them.
    I only re-pot when I want a plant to reach maximum size and after they become root bound. The various sizes of the containers make for great versitility and the translucency helps to blend them into an aquascape.

For me, the key to success is in using FloraBase as the growth medium and the PlantGro Sticks release ferilizer which will last for about one year where it's actually needed. I never add fertilizers to the water. It always seems wasteful to me since large frequent water changes are a rule in Discus keeping. No sooner than it's added it's being removed. I am generally disinclined to use additives that I am only going to run down the drain a few days later.
    Larry Waybright

Default Re: ?? Re Al's Glad storage containers as pots

Hi Al...
    Thanks for the info... Gonna give it a try if I can find the Florabase.. Any idea who would carry it... Never heard of it before.. Thanks again... Sue