AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleco's

Registered Member

Default Pleco's

Will a male BN pleco eat his young?

I saw young in a cave that my male pleco was keeping all the other fish away including the female pleco. There are two Apisto Triple Reds in the tank also.

I was able to get pictures of the young on Friday evening. But now the cave is empty and male is not going inside the cave.

Is something like this a common occurance? I'm really disappointed.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Pleco's

Is it possible the fry ventured out in the dark and someone else ate them other than the father? They are nocturnal...
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Hi Steve,
    Bristlenose do not eat their young. The father BN guards the cave until he knows it's time for them to come out and eat on their own. My male rarely goes back into the cave after he lets a brood out....until it's time to spawn with mom again. Baby BN are very tiny and will get eaten by a lot of varieties of fish. I had a couple of black skirt tetra in my breeding tank until I caught the tetra with a baby pleco hanging out of his mouth. He couldn't swallow the whole thing, but he already had half of the pleco down his throat!

Debbi
    Debbi

Breeding Sterbai Cories and Long Fin L144 Bristlenose Plecos

Registered Member

The only other fish in the tank are a pair of Apistos. I was told by the person I purchased them from, that they would not eat BN fry.

The father has been the only fish I have seen in the cave. He would chase the mother away if she can near the cave.

I only suspect the father because he has been blocking the mouth of the cave with his body, but would occasionly enter the cave.

He has been stopping off and eating on the zucchini I have in the tank so he couldn't have been too hungry.

Steve

Honestly, he did not eat them!! Don't you think if he wanted to eat them he would never have protected them in the first plae. If they are now gone from the tank, then your apistos ate them....guaranteed. Males bristlenose, as you have witnessed, are extremely protective of their eggs and fry. That is why he blocked the entrance....to keep any intruders out, and that includes mom. Mine does the same. And the minute I would try to get a peek at the fry, he would feel threatened by my presence and fly back into the cave to protect the young. If the albino cories swim too near the cave opening, he tail slams them and sends them flying. When daddy BN is ready to let the fry out into the tank, it will usually happen when lights are out. And the first couple of days in their new tank world they are extremely vulnerable....and tiny! They don't know to run and hide.
    Debbi

Registered Member

Debbi,

I would tend to believe what you are telling me. After watching him take care of what was in the cave for over a week, I find it hard to believe that he would eat them.

How long do you think it will be before the parents try again? I've had the pair since late August and this was the first laying.

I never have seen the female BN in the cave, so I am assuming she laid the eggs while the tank was dark. I first thought something was going on when noticed the male about 3/4 the way in the cave moving all his fins like crazy. I think he was fanning the eggs.

Steve

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

Baby BNs have an ability to hide pretty well in a tank ... what type of decorations or aquascaping do you have in the tank?

Apistos, as any cichlid, will eat any fish they can swallow, so it is possible they ate the fry.

I've found BNs to be unpredictable when spawning ... they may spawn several times in a month, then not again for a 1/2 a year. Cold water changes help promote spawning. If you condition the pair well they likely will spawn again soon. I suggest you remove either the eggs or the fry and hatch them and grow out in a separate tank.

Registered Member

Sounds to me like I need to relocate my Apisto's to another tank.

This 10 gal tank is just bare bottom with a couple of caves for the BN to hide in.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

With a BB tank, the babies had no cover and stood out like "food". Mine spawn about every 5 weeks. That's with 2 50% water changes a week, making the fresh water just about 2 degrees cooler and lots and lots of fresh zuchini every day. I just started to withhold the zucchini and they are slowing down. I never see the female go into the cave either. They seem to want to be real private about that.
    I think it's a good idea to remove the apistos if you want any fry to survive in there.
    Debbi

How 'bout discus?? Will they leave the babies alone or eat them? Tank is 125g, BB, only 8 discus & 3 Bns.....Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Steve what kind of filter do you use on that tank????

I know people who found them back in their canister filter,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Hi Dottie! I do believe those discus will enjoy the live snacks!
    Debbi

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertd View Post
    Hi Dottie! I do believe those discus will enjoy the live snacks!
    Awwww, too bad....have a tank to move'm to, but I don't think I can catch'm.....would've been so much easier to just leave'm there.......lol...
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Especially in a bare bottom tank....they would stand out pretty clearly. And they are small! When they first come out of the cave they are approximately 1/4" long and probably not even 1/16" in width.....small as a frozen bloodworm.
    Debbi

Registered Member

I have even had cardinals eat my BN fry---and certainly discus will--apistos? Absolutely--move them out! To reiterate, BN parents do not eat their young.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast