AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 12/18 - Arrival Day

Default 12/18 - Arrival Day

Well, after waiting all morning for them they finally arrived a little after 12:30. Al had informed me they were going to be delayed until around then so I wasn't too worried. Unfortunately upon opening the box I discovered the water to be cold, not just chilly but cold. Three of them were breathing, but very slowly, there was no movement from the other three. I wasn't sure what to do so I gave Al a call. I floated the bags and let the water temp come up. The three that had been breathing slowly seemed to come around a bit. I let them into the tank which I salted for stress relief. They will hopefully be ok, one promptly went to laying on the bottom, the other two are doing a herky jerky swim about. The other three I still haven't seen any movement from, I think they are lost. I haven't released them into the tank, but left them in the bag with the heat pack on them to see if there is any sign of life at all. Bummer.
    -Karen

Default Re: 12/18 - Arrival Day

Karen,
    Cheer up...the 3 the are alive will probably make it...as for the ones that are not...I'll replace them since I have a box going to you tomarrow....

Gotta love winter weather.....so much for priority service.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

We'll hope that me picking them up at the facility tomorrow will correct the problems we experienced today.

I'm more bummed for the poor fish than myself!

Now...I gotta get to work on that laptop....
    -Karen

Bummer about the doa's karen, winter shipping Good luck all the same
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Oh Karen I'm sorry..Hope it all goes well tomorrow.

Real Name
    Walter

Let the three get warmed up - I've had a discus that I ordered lay on it's side for over a day when it initially arrived. It turned out fine.

Walter
    Walter

Well despite the issues with the shipping I did take some pictures of their arrival and just now took a few shots of the survivors. So with that...on with the show.

Finally...a sight to behold:

Here they come:

Now, let's open the box and see what we've got:

"Ooo, what's in there?"

Oh good, two helpers:

The survivors need some alone time:

I just took these a little bit ago...they've been in the tank 4+ hours so I didn't want to disturb them too much:

They certainly are looking much better than earlier. Now...we'll do it all over again tomorrow, so stay tuned!
    -Karen

Hey Karen, I know exactly where you're at. I'm there too, but I don't have any DOA's at the least. I'll update on my thread.
    I hope your other three make out alright they seem alright for the most part.

Wow Karen. That must have been aweful Well, at least Al is replacing the other ones. He is sooo awesome. Good luck w/these guys. Hope they get nice and big.
    Eileen

Karen, your stomach must be in knots... not one but two days of shipping I'm sorry to hear about the DOAs, but at least three made it. They look pretty good so I think they're going to be fine

Oh, and I love the nosy cats... mine are the same way when I bring home anything in a bag or box. lol

Thanks Ryan, I think those 3 will be fine now. Is pretty amazing since when I took them out of the box I thought only two were even still alive, but the third had some slight fin movement once I started floating the bags.

Apparently it was mainly an issue from the nearest facility to here, so their time riding on the truck since, everyone else thus far has gotten theirs all alive.

I'm going to pick tomorrow's up at the facility to try to eliminate that problem, especially since in addition to the replacements there are some of Al's larger melons in there, I certainly don't want the same thing to happen to them!

The cats must have been taking a break from destroying the Christmas tree right then...
    -Karen

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi there Karen, sorry about that bad experiance. I hope you do well in the Challenge, and better luck on your next delivery. Cheers.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Karen, too bad about the shipping delays - hope the next shipment works out better.

And I loved the arrival pics - especially showing the FedEx truck pulling up in front of the house