AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fed Ex Sucks

Default Fed Ex Sucks

Well, looks like I drew the short straw this time around. After waiting around all day, Fed Ex finally decided to deliver the package at 5 pm. When the Fed Ex moron handed me the box, I knew I wasn't going to like what I found inside. The box was painfully cold to the touch! Which meant that this dolt had been driving around in the 20 degree weather with it in the back of his truck all day. (Probably while he hung out in some bar.) Fed Ex tracking told me that it had been in his truck since 7:30 that morning!!!!!

When I opened the box up..... all six discus were dead. The water temp. was 56 degrees.

I feel bad for Al... All of his hard work has been wasted and these fish are dead because some idiot doesn't do his job.

Anyway, Al will try again for a Thursday arrival. I'm going to pick them up at the Fed Ex location this time. I hope I cool off between now and then or things could get ugly when I see these Fed Ex clowns.....

-- Scott

Default Re: Fed Ex Sucks

Really sorry to hear that Scott :-( And Fed Ex has always been superior to UPS in this area...by far. Bummer!!!
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Sorry to hear that Scott, hoping all goes well on thursday.

That sucks Scott. I thought mine riding around in the truck for nearly 5 hours was bad! I don't think the water mine were in when they arrived was a whole lot warmer than yours. I think if it had been much longer I probably would have lost all six as well. Good move on picking them up at the facility this time.
    -Karen

Scott,

These things happen. After several disasters or near-disasters, I always pick them up at the holding facility now. It puts you in control of when you get the fish and how they're handled from the FedEx place to your home. No careless drivers kicking the box around or leaving them in the cold while they have lunch. Hopefully things will work out much better on Thursday. Hang in there; we've all had this happen at some point or another!

Ryan

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Scott,
    sorry to hear about your loss ,all the better next time.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Yeah, it's a lesson learned. I'm a stay-at-home Dad of a two year old, so I thought a home delivery would be easier than bundling him up and going to get them. I should have known better!!

Mistakes with this hobby are always painful because we are dealing with living things. I think all of us take our responsibility for these animals seriously and it can be tough when things go wrong.

I'll get a good night's sleep tonight and put all this energy into caring for the discus I already have and the one's Al's sending for Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Seastep View Post

Mistakes with this hobby are always painful because we are dealing with living things. I think all of us take our responsibility for these animals seriously and it can be tough when things go wrong.

I'll get a good night's sleep tonight and put all this energy into caring for the discus I already have and the one's Al's sending for Thursday!
    Totally agree with you Scott, it must have been tough opening the box to find that.

Still roll on Thursday. I hope all of them get to you warm and healthy.

Real Name
    Walter

Sorry to hear the sad news. Like Ryan, I have asked that the fish be held at the FedEx holding facility and go there first thing in the morning to pick them up. That way they won't get tossed around, left out in the cold, and they get into my tank all the more sooner.

Walter
    Walter

I guess we all should have picked them up at the holding facility...I didn't know it was going to be a problem. Live and learn I guess.
    -Karen

Scott, sounds like your son gets to go on a field trip

So sorry for the loss and the aggravation. I got lucky and picked mine up, by al's suggestion because i was at work all day and he thought it be best.
    Good luck on thrus.
    Eileen

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Okay, you're angry and I understand.

I must say I ship all my Discus with FedEx and (knock knock on wood) I've very less bad experiences.

99% of the time most drivers go the extra mile to make your box delivered on time, in these days before Christmas they are loaded and it's hard for these men and women to get everything delivered on time.

What a box of fish/Discus means for us is not what it means for them. Most don't even know that you need to keep those fish warm.

Come on; think real.....what idiots send tropical fish out in this cold weather???? I know I'm one of them.

If you're lucky, you've a driver who knows what's going on IN that box and puts it in front of the car were it's warmer, but most have no idea and how can they know?????

Just my 2 cents in defense of the FedEx people who try to do their best,

Hans

by the way:
    the box was on the truck at 7:28 to arive at the Cleveland facility at 7:35
    At 12:40 pm it was on the car again to be delivered 2 hours and 17 minutes later.
    Last edited by Discus-Hans; 12-19-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Come on; think real.....what idiots send tropical fish out in this cold weather???? I know I'm one of them.

If you're lucky, you've a driver who knows what's going on IN that box and puts it in front of the car were it's warmer, but most have no idea and how can they know?????

Just my 2 cents in defense of the FedEx people who try to do their best,

Fed Ex from what I have learned from talking to the driver it is all about where you live. It isn't about the driver not caring.
    Believe me no one wants to meet me at 4:30 at night with a box of fish in their hands without a good explanation.

I checked out afterwards to confirm his story and later learned same thing goes with other deliveries.

It's all about where you live from the distribution places which only makes sense and I certainly can not fault anyone for that.

As an example you have 500 packages over night going to same area are you going to drive to my place out of the way? No way. You'd be out of business in no time.
    You have to have a system.

It hurts people but when it happens to you once confirm the situation. Educate yourself now that you know and don't let the one time happen.

Everyone should be doing this if they don't know where they live in regards to facility. Not only that factor but where your area is on the timeline during the day.
    They can give you a window to be looking for them.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

i've worked for ups. you should see the trucks this time of year, they are literally completely stuffed full to the ceiling sometimes. even when they're not that full the drivers are working a minimum of 13 hour days. although, i know ups delivers priority mail first, maybe fed ex has a different system, or the overnight workers messed when sortng the mail.

hindsight is always 20/20 i guess...
    aka David
    75g: 6 discus, 8 sterbai, 3 ancistrus
    "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast