ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fed Ex Sucks

Default Re: Fed Ex Sucks

Good news is I have more fish and we can reship...bad news is they died first time around and we have to go thru it again.

Like Hans...I have a pretty good track record with fedex... Priority over night to someones house has never been an issue before for me...until now.

I thought about this all last night and I think if these were larger fish and the boxes had more bags and water in them...less air volume the may have still been okay at 5 pm.. Thats only about 24 hours and they should have more than enough oxygen......heat packs may have failed ....I used 3.. and the box was well insulated..but may have been on the back of the truck..in an unheated area.....who knows..

We'll try again Scott.. and hopefully they'll get it right with transport.

Its sad...but when shipping fish by any means...things happen..

These fish didn't die for nothing though.....it really does show many out there that haven't shipped fish yet or ordered fish yet what can happen when you do.

take care,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

For me, Fed-X is better than UPS. But I've only received Angelfish by shipping, not Discus. And they are a little more forgiving. They did keep a shipment on a truck one time, all day, but it was summer, not winter. If I got fish in winter, I'd go pick them up and not wait on a delivery.
    Also it does help if there are several LARGE stickers on the box that say -
    "Live Fish - Please deliver A.S.A.P"
    The shipment that stayed on the truck all day didn't have those on it.
    Most of the delivery drivers try to be responsible I think. Christmas time and Winter in combo, is just a BAD time for deliveries, I wouldn't chance live fish at that time, I'd go pick up for sure.
    I hope the next shipment goes much better for you.
    B

Scott,
    Heres some pics of the fish I have set aside for you...

I'll probably send more than 6 pcs since this is the second pass thru the tank ...keep the best 6 out of the group I send to work with.

-al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

What variety are they ? Wilds I'm presuming ?
    B

They are a wild cross ..

These are f2's wild type from an F1 alenquer xalbino intermediate..

you can see the pics of the parents here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59962

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Banned

Sorry you lost you're fish but too be honest with you, shipping anything, let alone ''live'' is just looking for trouble a week before Xmas,let alone in cold climates.

It won't matter if the box says ''live'' or ''fine crystal'' they'll all get the same treatment...rough. Wait till Jan when things slow down

G

Wait till Jan when things slow down
    Graham, Thats sound advice...but not possible here.. The fish made it alive to most others.....if it takes a second try we'll do it...... I want everyone to have their fish around the same time.....and I can't tie up a tank any longer

keep your fingers and toes crossed.
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

The Alenquers are some striking looking fish that's for sure !
    And yours are just beautiful. Maybe someday when I have a little more experience, I will have to give wilds a try, those pics sure make it tempting !
    B

Banned

Good luck....throw another heat pac on the fire

I'm not sure about other parts of the country, but our FedEx driver here at work said the Christmas rush was surprisingly mild this year and that no one from his sort facility had the need to take a larger truck and/or storage trailer or extend/lengthen their routes and delivery times. So I don't think shipping near Christmas this year is going to be as much of an issue. Besides, if you pay for FedEx Priority Overnight, the package is guaranteed next-day anyway.

The important thing to remember is that every FedEx driver has a route. In our area (a rural area), FedEx comes by at the same time everyday. Whether your Priority package is guaranteed by 10:30am or 4:30pm, we get it delivered everyday between 12 - 1pm. In most cases, drivers probably won't go out of there way to deliver something even if it's marked "ASAP" because it's impractical to criss-cross all over town to make deliveries.

That's why from now until eternity I will always have the fish held at the FedEx facility for me to pick them up. They're there every morning between 7 - 9am sitting on a shelf in a climate controlled office waiting to be picked up and it makes me feel better knowing that

Ryan

Each time Fed Ex has pulled that stunt on me, although for not as long, the guy had entered into his computer "incorrect address" even though I had given explicit directions to Fed Ex when they called me early that same morning. He just didn't want to bother attempting delivery that day and its a good thing I checked tracking online! Regular Fed Ex ground is great, its just the overnight guys that stink in my area. Just infuriating!
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

My Fedex guys are usually pretty good on getting them to me no later than 10AM..if they see it is fish,I am the first deliverly...my guy this time had the fish in the front seat on the floor with the heat turned up.
    Hope your next bunch makes it ok Scott.

Mench

Just have the box set aside at the Fedex hub and go pick them up.

I'll never let my fish bounce around in the back of a truck again. There are too many things that can go wrong; especially this time of year when it's cold and the Fedex employees are over-worked.
    Seek ye the truth and the truth will set you free.

Registered Member

After reading all the threads I'm kinda glad I live in a relatively small country. You guys have had a nightmare with shipping that I hope I never have to endure.

Best of luck with the next lot and remember we want lots of pictures.

Smile Re: Fed Ex

I was obviously pretty tough on Fed Ex yesterday.... Like everyone else, Fed Ex is usually automatic for me and so it was doubly tough when things didn't work out this time.

Like everyone else, I am very excited about this contest and so getting a box of DOA's was a major bummer! I told my wife it was like opening up a box of dead puppies.....

A night to sleep on it has restored my good spirits!!!

My son and I will be off to the Fed Ex depot in the morning, I'm sure with better results!

-- Scott

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast