ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12-20-07 When you thought you were over the hurdle

Default 12-20-07 When you thought you were over the hurdle

I wake up to find 2 dead and 1 checking out. What has me puzzled is that the three are the ones that were swimming normally yesterday. The two that were on their side yesterday and the day before are up and swimming around now. Blows my mind away.

I've done a large waterchange and added some salt to the tank to see if the third one will pull through but he doesn't look good at all.

pH 7.67
    Temp 87*F
    NH3 0
    NO2 0
    NO3 0

Pics to come

Default Re: 12-20-07 When you thought you were over the hurdle

Bummer Jose...

Jose theres got to be something wrong with your water...their behavior in the movies was fine... to die unexpectedly now makes no sense.

It may help if you go into exactly how you prepare your water for changes.... I'm also concerned about your biofilter... Before the fish arrived there was a biofilter issue..I can't help but wonder if this is related.. I know you posted zero ammonia and nitrites...but if the biofilter was impaired ,,they may be there...the kit may be expired.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

The top picture is of the one that is still alive, barely. They have a marbled calico look to them

Here's a video of the one that is still in the tank.

Could it possibly have been something they ate? As you said the two that are doing fine were the two down yesterday so I'm guessing they didn't eat? Aside from water issues that's one thing that comes to mind for me.

Bummer Jose.
    -Karen

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

It wouldn't have been anything they ate because they still wouldn't die that suddenly. I would say there is something going on with the water.
    Scott

Al, to answer your question regarding how I prepare my storage water. I live on a well, so there is no chlorination in my system hence I don't use any de-chlorinators. I have a 300gal storage tank on recirculation that I preheat to 87*. I have a 5" air stone in there to off-gas the CO2 in the system. My pH swings from low 5's to ~7.5 after 24hrs. This is the main reason I store water. I haven't had any issues as such with my other tanks using this same water. Granted I don't have juvies this small in my other tanks either. Prior to water changes I verify the pH is up to 7.5 and the temp is around 87*. I have an Orion pH meter on the tote at all times.

If there was an issue with the water would it not effect all the fish? I would think the two that were laying down the last two days would be more susceptible to any water quality issues because they have been more stressed and weakened by their state.

In regards to the food, the only thing that I fed them that I don't any of my other fish was Hikari F. brine shrimp. I ruled this out because I watched one of the fish lying down yesterday get up and eat the FBS.

Just an update: the one that was in the video is up now. It's not swimming a whole lot but at least he's not upside down.

When I say this this morning, I did a 90% WC and added 3 TBs of salt to the tank. I just fed some BH and will be doing another WC afterwards.

Jose,
    Is there any chance that the water was not off gassed enough...I'm on a well here also and know whats its like with all that dissolved gas in the water...its worse in the winter.. If there was a CO2 issue, that might account for what happened...the active fish would have been "possibly" been more stressed by the lower oxygen...I'm guessing here...it just doesn't make sense.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hey, Everybody!! Un-freakin'-believable. I get home to find all four at the front of the tank like nothing ever happened. The one in the video is back to normal coloration and all. Fed them some FBWs and let them be. Couldn't do a WC tonight because when I left this afternoon I left the storage tank filling and forgot all about it. My wife kindly reminded me when she got home to water pouring out of the garage. It's all good, however, they got two 90% water changes today prior to me leaving.

Oh, Al, in regards to the excess CO2. It could be a possibility although the change water pH was 7.5 or there abouts prior to the WC.

We will see what tomorrow holds in store for me.

Hey, Everybody!! Un-freakin'-believable. I get home to find all four at the front of the tank like nothing ever happened. The one in the video is back to normal coloration and all. Fed them some FBWs and let them be. Couldn't do a WC tonight because when I left this afternoon I left the storage tank filling and forgot all about it. My wife kindly reminded me when she got home to water pouring out of the garage. Time to put an overflow on my tank like Andrew suggested. It's all good, however, they got two 90% water changes today prior to me leaving.

Oh, Al, in regards to the excess CO2. It could be a possibility although the change water pH was 7.5 or there abouts prior to the WC.

We will see what tomorrow holds in store for me.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Well good for you! You must be happy as you posted twice

Oh Jose I am so sorry for all ur troubles. Wow. I hope these guys do good for u. Remember, record all that happens so it can be posted. I don't want to loose any. It makes me real scared
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit View Post
    Well good for you! You must be happy as you posted twice
    Well, since I had to do a double take, I figured ya'll could too.

Quote Originally Posted by alxjss View Post
    Oh Jose I am so sorry for all ur troubles. Wow. I hope these guys do good for u. Remember, record all that happens so it can be posted. I don't want to loose any. It makes me real scared
    Definitely, Eileen. I'm posting everything major (well, major in my book of definitions anyway)

Sorry about your troubles Jose..it all looks well now though and hopefully everything will settle down.

Jose...Sorry to hear about yer troubles bud! That had to be one hell of a relief though to come home an find 4 of em ready to eat!

Man you definately sound like an Okie!! The scary part is...Ya sound like me, and I have been a relocated Texan for almost 30 years!

Good luck with these guys bud! Lookin forward to the progress...

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bastalker View Post
    Jose...Sorry to hear about yer troubles bud! That had to be one hell of a relief though to come home an find 4 of em ready to eat!

Man you definately sound like an Okie!! The scary part is...Ya sound like me, and I have been a relocated Texan for almost 30 years!

Good luck with these guys bud! Lookin forward to the progress...

tc
    Mark
    LOL!! I had to listen to the video to hear myself. I really should've edited out the audio. BTw, Andrew was on the other end of that line; I wasn't talking to myself Now that you mention it, I guess there's a bit of a twang there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast