ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 12/20 - Settlin'

Default 12/20 - Settlin'

Well, I don't have much of a story to tell today but given the nature of my stories so far...I consider that a good thing! I didn't get to spend much time with the fish today since I had to go back to work but I checked in on them this morning and everyone seemed to be doing good, the lights in the fishroom were still off so not much activity. I fed them a cube of FBW and went to work. They got a couple small feedings of Ocean Nutrition FO pellets today and I think one more feeding of FBW. My roommate was the caretaker for the day and is my partner in crime in this (and all fish) endeavors. I went down to see them when I got home and they were right at the front corner of the tank looking for food. Here's what they look like when you walk into the room:

Everyone is looking good and eating well. So here are a few more pictures of them from today:

And because they seem popular a couple videos of them. One of them just hanging out:

And here's one of them just a little bit ago at FBW feeding time:

-Karen

Default Re: 12/20 - Settlin'

They are looking great Karen
    Sure are not shy about eating
    Great video.
    Ardan

Wow, Karen, they look really good. Don'tcha just love them videos. Brings em to life a bit better than the pics do.

looking good and settled!
    walk signal

Thanks guys, I think they are doing extremely well so far! Makes it lots of fun.

So as the first full day comes to a close, things are looking good. Everyone seems settled in like they've been here all along. They weren't even as scared tonight during water change time as last night. Everyone is eating great and very sociable. How do I know they're eating great you ask? Well...I think this is a pretty good sign....heh

They had a total of 6 feedings today (and maybe a light snack or two..hehe) 2 feedings of FBW, 3 feedings of Ocean Nutrition FO pellets, and 1 feeding of FBS. They got another 90% water change tonight and sponges squeezed because these sponges I have in the tank tend to build up gunk fast, and I'm lazy about squeezing in my other tanks so trying to start out diligent from the get go here before they get all gunked up. Here's my highly sophisticated method of keeping track of water changes, sponge squeezings and daily feedings...

Everything seems to be going really well so far. I tried measuring what I thought to be one of the largest and one of the smallest just for a starting reference point. The largest is 2" and the smallest 1.5". It's hard for me to distinguish between them yet, but I'm sure I'll start recognizing them individually with time. It's hard to keep track of 9 of them! When I figure them out...they'll get names.
    -Karen

Karen, they look amazing already. I can't get over how cute baby discus are. It makes me want to raise babies again

I have to start breeding these pigeons of mine so that I can offer up fish for one of the future challenges!

They are quite cute indeed. The last time I had any this small was towards the beginning of the year so I had forgotten too.
    -Karen

Registered Member

Nice vids and pics. And as for the record keeping it's real convenient especially as it's not a show tank.

The funny thing... the new babies look perfectly normal to me from a size standpoint. When I go upstairs to my office to the tank housing my Goldens, that are about 6 months older, they look like GIANT MUTANTS! HUGE.

-- Scott