AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do the big foam filters work?

Registered Member

Default Re: How do the big foam filters work?

I agree with Larry here--I use the larger sized sponge filters as prefilters for ALL my tanks, including the 180g with the FX5 on it, as well as the bare bottomed 75s and 80g. --they all collect the crap very well and I have not had any issues with slowing down the filtration. The big planted tank prefilter does fine as long as it is cleaned once a week. I've been using the sponge filters as prefilter method for years and it works perfectly.
    HArriett

Real Name
    Rick May

I must see things different, I use just foam filters and the only thing I want the foam to be filtering is the ammonia from the water. Everything else is removed by water changes. The problem I see with using mechanical filtering is the poo, food, or what ever doesn’t leave the tank, it just looks better because you don’t see the poo rotting away. I’ve used about every kind of filter known to man, and I think adding more filtering to suck up the food or poo only moves it some ware you don’t see it. The only acceptable form of mechanical filter IMO is a filter that you can clean daily like the pre filter on a wet dry… JMO

Registered Member

I get your logic, but for me, if there is good water volume in the tank for the # of discus [I like 12-13 g/per discus], etc and great biofiltration, some junk in a prefilter is not going to be an issue--I like the big foam prefilters on my canister filters because they do collect the debris, I do like to see clear water, and they are way easier and faster to clean every 1-2 x week than working on my canisters that often! I only clean my canisters every 2-3 months because they stay really clean when I use these foam prefilters. Call me lazy, I don't have the time or energy to deal with weekly canister cleaning on multiple tanks--that would put me over the top. I have come to rely on the increased bio of planted tanks over BB [I am NOT talking about a baby or juvie tank--just adult discus here] for less frequent water changes and a still quite healthy environment for my discus--through experimenting over a few years and reading more, I have now gotten my planted tanks down to one 70% water change and thorough plant maintenance, substrate/prefilter cleaning a week, which works great. I have been doing it this way for a couple years now, in my tanks. If I brought in juvies, it would be the BB massive daily water change regimen that we all know and love....of course--again, with big prefilters in those! JMO, LOL.
    regards,
    Harriett
    Last edited by Harriett; 03-31-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reelay0 View Post
    ...good place to put it is where most of the poo and other trash builds up in your aquarium. That way it gets sucked up by the foam filter and it will make your siphoning life a bit easier.
    Not really. You need to siphon the tank, sponge filters aren't supposed to be foolproof mechanical filtration. Clean the filters by squeezing them in tank water as you do your water changes.

Jeff

Registered Member

I get your logic, but for me, if there is good water volume in the tank for the # of discus [I like 12-13 g/per discus], etc and great biofiltration, some junk in a prefilter is not going to be an issue--I like the big foam prefilters because they do collect the debris, I do like to see clear water, and they are way easier and faster to clean every 1-2 x week than working on my canisters that often! I only clean my canisters every 2-3 months because they stay really clean when I use these foam prefilters. Call me lazy, I don't have the time or energy to deal with weekly canister cleaning on multiple tanks--that would put me over the top. I have come to rely on the increased bio of planted tanks over BB [I am NOT talking about a baby or juvie tank--just adult discus here] for less frequent water changes and a still quite healthy environment for my discus--through experimenting over a few years and reading more, I have now gotten my planted tanks down to one 70% water change and thorough plant maintenance and substrate/prefilter cleaning a week, which works great. I have been doing it this way for a couple years now, in my tanks. If I brought in juvies, it would be the BB massive daily water change regimen that we all know and love....of course--and I still use big prefilters in those!
    regards,
    Harriett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12