ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 12/22/07

Default 12/22/07

Just an update because things changed in the tank. I turned on the overhead light this morn just to get them used to being woke up. They swam semi rapidly behind the sponge. Left for a minute and came back and did my daily "talking". I am talking to them and notice one of them scratched 2x's against the air hose. Hummmm, so i tested the water. The level surprised me. it read 25. Why when i have a seeded sponge? Where would this come from? I did not do a w/c yest, because its a 55 gal and i figured i could get away w/an every other day @ 50% TraTes r @ 1. Would the small specks, kinda like a dusting in the tank do this? Note, this big flakes just added.
    Last edited by alxjss; 12-22-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: adding text
    Eileen

Banned

Default Re: 12/22/07

Eileen ... 25 what?? what's the pH?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Eileen ... 25 what?? what's the pH?
    Sorry Graham. Its .25ppm. ph is 7.2, even out of tap. No change in ph
    Eileen

Banned

That makes more sense....I assume that we're talking about NH3 here. Any low ammonia readings, like the 0.25, at that pH level will be in the form of ammonium and non toxic to the fish.

How long had that ''seeded'' sponge sat around without any food coming at it?

I would worry about that bit of ammonia....but keep an eye on the fish as they are flashing for some reason.

G
    Last edited by Graham; 12-22-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Al sent me the seeded sponge, so as long as it took to get here. I hate scatching. It is happening in my main tank too. No matter what i do, this guys scratch. Does it necessarily mean something is wrong?
    Anyway, i cleaned the whole tank, wiped it down, and changed about 75% of water. Will test everyday for a while until i see a stability on this. uuuuggggghhhhh
    Eileen

Banned

Fish flash for a reason...always. It maybe just a fleeting itch so they only flash once or it maybe more than that. It could be a water quality issue or a minor/major parasite problem.

It's not un-common for fish to flash about an hour or so after eating, especially a high protein food. The higher levels of ammonia being excreted via the gills may irritate them.

If nothing else get some Prazi and wipe out any possible flukes...

I wouldn't worry about the sponge/ammonia...it just might have gotten cold and knocked the nitrifiers back a bit

G

G, i really don't want to treat yet. I will wait for a few days and do more w/c's and see what happens. I only saw 1 guy do this so i will watch closely and see. Thanks for the info.
    Eileen

Banned

I hate scatching. It is happening in my main tank too. No matter what i do, this guys scratch.
    Oh I got the impression that a number of fish where flashing

How's your babies today Eilleen?

they r doing very well. I have a video i am gonna show but i have company right now so it will have to wait
    Eileen

Hi Eileen,
    I get seeded sponges from Al too when I get fish. The bacteria in them does set back a bit after shipping, but will catch up soon.
    I would go easy on the feeding for a few days and do wc daily.

I don't think its anything to worry about at this point.

Ardan

Eileen,
    Water changes and no meds are my advice... I find its always useful to do good solid water changes on a daily basis when I first get fish in..

I had absolutely no issues with flukes in this group of frys.

Increase your water changes until your sponge catches up.... but consider this...its one cycled hydro 5 in a 55 gal tank... in order for a biofiler to work the sponge must have water going thru it sufficiently to bring the ammonia to the biofilter. You may need to put the sponge in a POWER FILTER that can move more water volume thru it if you keep getting readings.. If it was a 30 gal tank...the hydro on an airline would probably have been fine from the get go.

A flash everyonce in a while is nothing I would worry about.... I like to scratch my back up against a door jamb every once in a while..

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Eileen,
    A flash everyonce in a while is nothing I would worry about.... I like to scratch my back up against a door jamb every once in a while..

-al
    Yes Al, i know u had no problems. That is why it makes me curious when i saw this. Like i said, i did a w/c and wiped down the tank. It took them about 1.5 hrs to get over that one. But, they r fine and i will keep doing w/c's until i get good readings. Thanks so much Al. I would think that fish have to scratch once in awhile, i just needed confirmation on that. They r very HUNGRY and greet me @ the top when i walk in, so all is good so far.
    Last edited by alxjss; 12-23-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: adding text
    Eileen