ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12/22/07 On my way out!!

Unhappy 12/22/07 On my way out!!

Well, it looks like the last four have gone by way of the first two. They are dark and laid out in the back corner of the tank. I was sitting there thinkin' what the hell could be going on. The only thing I have changed from before these fish arrived is that I've had to use my hot water out of my hot water heater to heat the water. This is so freakin' frustrating. I had previously ruled out the water as well because whenever I do a waterchange they run up to the fill pipe and play in the change water falling into the tank. Well, they'll probably be down by the end of the day.

Default Re: 12/22/07 On my way out!!

OMG Jose. What the hell? Did u check ur parms? Try a w/c and add salt. Are u doing something? oh man......
    Eileen

Yeah, I did a w/c and added salt but I don't think it's helping. parameters are all still good

Wow I'm sorry to hear that Jose. That must be so frustrating and sad to watch! You know, you mention having to use the hot water heater and I recall reading somewhere once that using hot water out of your hot water heater (unless it's brand new) can be bad because bacteria and all kinds of gunk can build up in there. I know that probably doesn't shed much light on the situation but maybe you are onto the cause of the problems. I don't know what state they're in now but if there were any way to get some water to the right temp not from you hot water heater and do a change, I'd almost try that, just to see if it made any change and you could maybe save those four.
    -Karen

Oh Jose, I hope everything works out for u. Keep trying, something has to work!!!
    Eileen

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry Jose, this most definately sounds like a water related issue possibly a combination with the change of seasons and the hot water heater

Try aging some cold water asap and heat it with an aquarium heater. raise the temp to 89-90, add 1-3 TBS salt per 10g and cross your fingers...
    Last edited by jeep; 12-22-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Jose I'm sorry, keep trying and dont be too harsh on yourself..I hope this will turn around for you..Best of luck!

Thanks, everyone. I have dumped the whole storage tank and started with straight cold tap water. It's at 64*, so it's gonna take a while to get this tank up to temp and pH stabilized. I have to figure out a system to have one tank aging and the other ready to go.

Jose, give us a call!

I've been thinking about your problems and I wonder something.....

If you were pulling water from your hot water heater, is there a possibility it's got copper in it? Depending on the age of your home, it possible to have copper pipes that would leach a bit into the water. For Humans it's no big deal but for Fish it's obviously a major problem.

Copper isn't something we traditionally test for so you'd obviously never know it's there....

I don't know, I'm just spitballin' here! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help! (Aside from sending good MOJO your way!)

-- Scott

Registered Member

Hi Jose, sorry to see the situation develop.
    If your water heater is working as it is supposed to temp wise (70degC or above) you shouldn't have any problems with bacteria as it would kill them off.
    The copper is a possibility and can be easily eliminated as the cause with a test.
    Hope is doesn't get worse for you.
    Tony

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by phidelt85 View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I have dumped the whole storage tank and started with straight cold tap water. It's at 64*, so it's gonna take a while to get this tank up to temp and pH stabilized. I have to figure out a system to have one tank aging and the other ready to go.
    Boil a few pots of water and dump it in the storage barrel. Can help get the temp up sooner than later

Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus View Post
    Jose, give us a call!
    Hey, Angela. I just saw this post. Haven't been on much today since my family was up for Jacob's birthday. I'll call later on Sunday after I get up; back on night shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seastep View Post
    I've been thinking about your problems and I wonder something.....

If you were pulling water from your hot water heater, is there a possibility it's got copper in it? Depending on the age of your home, it possible to have copper pipes that would leach a bit into the water. For Humans it's no big deal but for Fish it's obviously a major problem.

Copper isn't something we traditionally test for so you'd obviously never know it's there....

I don't know, I'm just spitballin' here! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help! (Aside from sending good MOJO your way!)

-- Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by tonymaccs View Post
    Hi Jose, sorry to see the situation develop.
    If your water heater is working as it is supposed to temp wise (70degC or above) you shouldn't have any problems with bacteria as it would kill them off.
    The copper is a possibility and can be easily eliminated as the cause with a test.
    Hope is doesn't get worse for you.
    Tony
    Hey Scott and Tony. Didn't think about it but I do have a copper test kit. I'll give it a check in the AM when I get home. As for the plumbing in my house it's all plastic tubing except for the 1' pigtails off the hot water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
    Boil a few pots of water and dump it in the storage barrel. Can help get the temp up sooner than later
    Thanks for the suggestion. Should have thought of that.

I really don't know what to make of it. Later in the afternoon they perked up for the most part. Ate the last of the CBWs my brother in law brought me and some FBWs. I didn't want to feed too much since I wasn't able to do a water change. I had a bucket of water aging but the temp didn't get up fast enough before I had to go to work. Will change in the morning. Thanks everyone for the suggestions; I do appreciate it and will keep ya'll posted.

Good luck Jose.
    Keep working on the water You will get it right.
    You are lucky to have Andrew and Angela close by, they are great resources

Ardan

Jose,
    I'm sorry to hear this. but I am more sure than ever that its water related....

The only thing I have changed from before these fish arrived is that I've had to use my hot water out of my hot water heater to heat the water. This is so freakin' frustrating. I had previously ruled out the water as well because whenever I do a waterchange they run up to the fill pipe and play in the change water falling into the tank. Well, they'll probably be down by the end of the day.
    I'm not sure what you do to age your water .....Why can't you age ,aerate and heat your well water? Adding hot water to Cold well water may be the problem... that may bring the temp up.. but it doesn't aerate and age it. Please give us more details on exactly what you do here and why. Thanks.
    -al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast