AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus interest in Madison, WI area?

Default Discus interest in Madison, WI area?

Hello all,
    I am moving to Madison, WI in February and would like to continue my discus hobby there. Does anybody know any local discus breeders or a really good LFS in the Madison area? Any discus hobbyists in that area?

Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus interest in Madison, WI area?

im looking for one too

Registered Member

I have been out of the hobby for a couple of years and trying to get back into it, so far, I have found very few people with Discus in WI. There is a fish club in Milwaukee that use to be active, swap and auctions a couple of times a year, but that again was awhile ago. Milwaukee has a couple better fish stores, (Aquatic Unlimited and another one south on 100 HWY that I cann't come up with the name), but neither has any selection of discus.

Chicago has several people, which will be about 3 hours drive for you.

Shoot me a pm and I will fill you in more.

Later

I've dealt with a guy out of Janesville WI. who seemed like a stand up guy.I've heard from other people on this forum he's alright.I don't know if I can post his info publicly,so if you pm me I will pass it on.He seems to have 3 varities going on,also some angels.Also know a great guy in Chicago not far off the expessway who would definitely be worth the trip.I can give you his info also.Bill.

Thanks Bill for the introduction

I do have some available...just send me a PM. Or if Bill gave you guys my contact number, pls don't hesitate to call. I'm glad that there will be more hobbyist in our area. Thanks....Joel
    Last edited by babers; 01-20-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Hey bud,Bill gave me your name here but I forgot it.Eveybodys finally eating,and I geuss thats all that matters.Angels chomped on some blackworms today,and the penag's are grazing on bloodworms and fbbs.

Wink Re: Discus interest in Madison, WI area?

their's a few of us discus people , ya just gotta poke around...
    Jay,

the reason i like discus?... is discus seem to like me.

Registered Member

i'm in madison as well, and the best store is probalby Living Art Aquarium, but their selection of discus is very poor..it's hard getting quality discus around here

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    Hey bud,Bill gave me your name here but I forgot it.Eveybodys finally eating,and I geuss thats all that matters.Angels chomped on some blackworms today,and the penag's are grazing on bloodworms and fbbs.
    Glad to know the Penang Eruptions are doing good, seems like they adjusted well. Those Philippine Blue Angels will eat anything you throw in the tank Keep me posted.

Quote Originally Posted by fishshaped View Post
    their's a few of us discus people , ya just gotta poke around...
    I guess that's my problem.....I need to start poking more

Quote Originally Posted by xthao3 View Post
    i'm in madison as well, and the best store is probalby Living Art Aquarium, but their selection of discus is very poor..it's hard getting quality discus around here

If your looking for discus, IMO the worst place to go is LFS.
    Last edited by babers; 01-20-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by aholley View Post
    ...There is a fish club in Milwaukee that use to be active, swap and auctions a couple of times a year, but that again was awhile ago. Milwaukee has a couple better fish stores, (Aquatic Unlimited and another one south on 100 HWY that I cann't come up with the name), but neither has any selection of discus...
    The name of the other LFS on HWY100 this is being referred to here I believe is Hoffer's. I've never been in the store, but I understand their selection and quality of discus is poor. It is where the Milwaukee fish club holds it's meeting though and I'm attaching a link for you here. www.milwaukeeaquariumsociety.com

Aquatics Unlimited on the other hand has the best selection of discus I've seen in a Wisconsin fish store. Now they're still a fish store, their prices aren't any better and often worse than the sponsors here, and their selection isn't as good as most of the sponsors here, but if you want to see a bunch of discus that would be the place to visit. They are west of Milwaukee and right off of I-894, so it's an easy drive from Madison. http://www.bestfish.com/

There is also a fish club in Madison, here is the link to it. www.madisonaquatichobby.com I've never attended their meetings, so I can't really speak to anything about it. If memory serves me correctly they are smaller in size than the one in Milwaukee, and they meet in a bowling alley last I checked.

From time to time my pairs will bless me with a batch of fry, you can PM me if you'd like to know when I have juvies available or if you just think I can help you out with your transition. I only keep 3 pairs so it's very hit and miss whether I have any little ones available. Right now I have a very small batch of red turqs. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nts-and-Babies

Hope you enjoy Madison.
    Keith
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

There is also a wisconsin cichlid forum you may want to look for, if you haven't found it already
    180 gal angel and discus tank
    4-30's
    6-10's

Sorry to intrude on this thread but I am also looking for a local discus breeder. I will be working in Madison the next three weeks and would love to stop by and check out what any of you have available. I'm looking for jeveniles or at least anything under 3 inches.
    Please shoot me a pm or email me at bbusby @ new . rr . com I spaced it out since I need 10 posts to put an email in a reply.

Thanks in advance!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Aquatics Unlimited on the other hand has the best selection of discus I've seen in a Wisconsin fish store. Now they're still a fish store, their prices aren't any better and often worse than the sponsors here, and their selection isn't as good as most of the sponsors here, but if you want to see a bunch of discus that would be the place to visit. They are west of Milwaukee and right off of I-894, so it's an easy drive from Madison. http://www.bestfish.com/
    I was there yesterday just poking around, and saw the large discus display tank they used to have (in the back corner of the store) was no longer a discus tank! The juvies they had for sale were certainly NOT something to write home about. All were dark, seemed to be really unhappy. They had a few 2" BDs that didn't look too bad, but the turks were very poorly shaped.

I'm wondering if they didn't have an outbreak of something? The huge acrylic/plexi tanks in the front were unusually empty as well.

There is also "The Fish Factory" on 92nd and Oklahoma Av. I don't remember ever seeing discus there, but I don't go often. I also try not to spend my money there as they sell "painted" fish (they even have inked up parrot fish-how sad). But it may be worth a look for someone else.
    Stacey

Note for sugio, 14 cichlid, and bnbfishin.
    I refer to the post above by cozykeith.
    He and I have gotten to know each other reasonably well I believe, and have communicated many times back & forth over the past several months. He's a super guy with a great deal of experience IMO. His fish-keeping practices are obviously excellent, and he currently does have some real good-looking Turq youngsters of his own spawning pairs. Can't remember how far Madison is from Janesville, but I'm quite certain Keith would be glad to help out in any way he can.
    Is this a strong recommendation of this Wi. hobbyist ? It sure is!

Thanks for the referral discuspaul! I will send him a PM and see if I can stop by his place and see what he has to offer.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast