ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corys in the Discus tank

Registered Member

Default Corys in the Discus tank

I was thinking about moving my corys into my 75 gallon Discus tank. The thing is I'm not sure exactly what kind of corys they are. One is an albino and the other is maybe a peppered. I know there are some kind of corys that are comfortable at higher temps (I keep mine at 84 degrees) but I'm not sure if all types of corys can handle it. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Corys in the Discus tank

Hi. That's true, not all cories can handle discus temps. I tried Pandas which lasted about 6 mos. I know others had the same experience with Pandas, but some had Pandas that did okay. I have a Jullii (spelling??) for almost 2 years and he's done well. My Discus tank is at 84. Sterbai I believe can handle the temps and I believe there are a few more. If you don't know what yours are, I guess you can try them but keep in mind that they may not fare well down the line.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

Sometimes it is not temp what kill corys but they exploit eating as the same frecuency as discus do, I think that's the main conflict I have had with corys and discus, corys are low feeding fish.
    Last edited by guille2007; 01-04-2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: correcting english

Real Name
    Mike

Sterbai do fine into the mid 80's no problems. I feed enough that passes by the discus and everyone gets enough food.

Registered Member

I can say that in case of paleatus and bronze ones, if they eat like young discus do(4-5 times a day) they will die sooner or later for sure.

These cory's will definitely be ok at discus temps, sterbai, gossei, seussei and adolphoi.

hth,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

In,
    my tank's i have bronze,peppered and sterbai and have had no problem's with them most of them are now over 3 years old,I like my little bottom buddies !

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

i have never had a problem with cories in with discus or the high temperatures at all...

Registered Member

A friend of mine who is an expert fish biologist told me when I asked him about rare corys death that they can die if get overfeeded since they don't stop eating if they see food and will be doing that till they get inflated and float at the surface dying after that. It happened me that way when I placed eight healthy corys with my juveniles eight discus since I feeded discus five times a day and corys ate the same food(mainly BHM) and at the same frecuency, corys started dying one by one always showing the same sympthoms that my friend described me later.

What I want to say with this is that no always corys death are related with high temp but overfeeding. So every time you see a cory floating at the surface and dying after that, it was for sure overfeeding the cause.

Registered Member

i've tried and had success with adolphi and sterbai.
    aka David
    75g: 6 discus, 8 sterbai, 3 ancistrus
    "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend"

I have trilineatus and they seem to be fine even upto 90*F

I love cory's. Never had a problem with them. I love the albinos. Theyre so cute. Only fish I ever had a few minor problems with discus were clown loaches. Just woulndt rest and went bonkers while the discus were tryring to sleep.

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guille2007 View Post
    Sometimes it is not temp what kill corys but they exploit eating as the same frecuency as discus do, I think that's the main conflict I have had with corys and discus, corys are low feeding fish.
    I suggest you may be feeding your discus too much ...

the more I keep & study fish & turtles, the more I'm becoming convinced that excessive feeding to promote rapid growth is not in the best long-term interest of the animal.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyRichard View Post
    I suggest you may be feeding your discus too much ...

the more I keep & study fish & turtles, the more I'm becoming convinced that excessive feeding to promote rapid growth is not in the best long-term interest of the animal.
    Maybe, although it was under frecuency of feeding recomendations for young discus, 4-5 times a day and about 15 min of food duration every time.

Registered Member JeffreyRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guille2007 View Post
    Maybe, although it was under frecuency of feeding recomendations for young discus, 4-5 times a day and about 15 min of food duration every time.
    Those that recommend this type of feeding are aiming for rapid growth ... the biggest fish in as short a period of time as possible. My feeling is that this may not be in the best interest of the fish ... my discus get feed once a day. They grow slow but seem to live long healthy lives. My goals are not to get big growth fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast