AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corys in the Discus tank

Registered Member

Default Re: Corys in the Discus tank

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyRichard View Post
    Those that recommend this type of feeding are aiming for rapid growth ... the biggest fish in as short a period of time as possible. My feeling is that this may not be in the best interest of the fish ... my discus get feed once a day. They grow slow but seem to live long healthy lives. My goals are not to get big growth fast.
    You feed once a day even to young fish(less than one year old)?

Registered Member

Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and it is your (Simply discus) lucky day (because I make a few comments, and giving answers while it is sunday and we are photographing a lot of new species I collected last year... and I have a few minutes not working von my volume II... to finally come out this year...)

I noticed the Corydoras threats and must make to (very important) comments:
    1. Corydoras NEVER live with discus in nature together - totally different biotopes/habitats. Thjerefore with wild discus I cannot recommend it.
    2. Corydoras NEED fine substrate (except the mid-water swimming C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus and dome of the stony-living species from the barbatus-group from southeastern Brazil-Paragiay-Uruguay), that is fine white or beige sand. Corydoras evolved with their barbels which is in evolution adapeted to fine substrate (never gravel) and they always (need to) dig into such substrate.
    Aything else you givem is WRONG and makes the Corydoras suffer all the time.

PLEASE remember that.

Always

Heiko

Registered Member

Hi Heiko, thanks for your time and courtesy

A question:

What is the proper way to feeding corys and what kind of food?

Quote Originally Posted by guille2007 View Post
    What I want to say with this is that no always corys death are related with high temp but overfeeding.
    This is interesting. I had panda cories spawn in my planted discus tank several years ago, which suggests that the higher temps were no problem. The fish in that tank were only fed once a day.

Baby panda cories are so cute!!!

Terry

Registered Member

I have more testimonials about, I had paleatus that starting dying one by one in discus tank remaining about six, then I went to vacation for week so no feeding that tank, when I came back the five cories were alive.

i have fine sand substrate (silica) planted and had a problem with pandas, but other spp did pretty good.

I raise many Corydoras and C. panda spawn and do best when kept around 22*C/72*F, breeding @ 24*C/75*F, ime. They usually have very short lives @ above 26.5*C/80*F.
    Most unusual for them to breed at Discus temps.

There are some that fair well enough at Discus temps and to those already listed, I would add C.duplicareous.
    I usually just keep some of the small carnivorous dwarf plecos like Hypancistrus zebra, L333, L66, L260 and Peckoltia sp L134 with my discus. They are as biotopically incorrect as Corydoras but they require the warmer water. They happen to eat the same foods I feed Discus and can access that food in places a discus can't.
    Larry Waybright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12