ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How much food per feeding?

Registered Member

Default How much food per feeding?

I presently have four young discus and four angels.I feed them anywere from two to five times a day.When I give them frozen food such as beefheart,bloodworms etc I put in one cube per feeding,which they devour in about a minute and dry I give a pinch which they eat in about two minutes although with not as much gusto as the frozen.Am I underfeeding them at this point?Ive always gone by the three minute feeding rule in my African ciclid tank.Does this rule apply to discus?Any feedback will be appreciated.

Steve

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Default Re: How much food per feeding?

I tend to over feed my fish a little...If the devour the first amount of food I add more until the bellies are bulging.

Registered Member

Hi Steve,
    You dont mention what size they are but with eight young fish if they are 2-3" or more they could easily devour two cubes in a few minutes.
    Also some adults can be picky eaters and like to take their time- if I applied the three minute rule to them they'd starve.
    Tony

Registered Member

Hello Tonymaccs
    My fish are about four months and are about 3/1/2 to 4 inches now.They are growing although I am not sure what the growth weight should be.I feed them between 2-5 times a day and they always seem hungry.Should I double my feedings?I want to one day breed them,and I dont want to chance stunted growth.Advice will be very much appreciated.

Steve