AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best small time seller of frozen beefheart or seafood mix?

Default Best small time seller of frozen beefheart or seafood mix?

What is the best privately sold or small business sold beefheart or seafod mix, frozen, for discus? Who makes it?

Default Re: Best small time seller of frozen beefheart or seafood mix?

Hmmmmm... Where do you live???

I am on Long Island NY.

Why don't you make your own? Just google "discus recipe" and start cooking.

Here's a listing of recipes:
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...es/index.shtml

Problem, my wife will throw me out if I make my own beefheart! So I have to buy a ready made. I see Discus Madness makes one, are they reliable?
    Last edited by MSD; 01-05-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Problem, my wife will throw me out if I make my own beefheart! So I have to buy a ready made. I see Discus Madness makes one, are they reliable? I am also trying Blackwater Aquaria's mix, trial will start monday, Mike is a really great guy.
    Last edited by MSD; 01-05-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Every time I've bought pre made BH it was a waste of money as they wouldn't touch it. I've heard same thing from opthers. Some have no problem with their fish eating it.
    So it's a crap shoot.

I really don't understand a Wife complaining because you want to save money making your own BH so you can buy her more jewerly?
    You just need a change in tactics.

Seriously though I don't understand the problem of preparing BH?
    It cuts just like any other meat. Cleans up just like any other meat.
    You can prepare your own food adding what you prefer for the health of your discus. You can remix it with meds when needed.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Richardson View Post
    Seriously though I don't understand the problem of preparing BH?
    It cuts just like any other meat. Cleans up just like any other meat.

Yeah, tell that to my wife

I had hard time to use the sink for water changes and so on. There is a high chance she would freak out if I start to bring a big BH into the house and start cutting it.

Besides, I don't like to touch raw meat anyway. Frozen BW is the best I can do for my discus. There is a limit of how much a man can do for his love of discus.
    Last edited by FishLover888; 01-06-2008 at 02:03 PM.

There is a high chance she would freak out if I start to bring a big BH into the house and start cutting it.

Besides, I don't like to touch raw meat anyway.

BH comes in regular size packages just like hamburger. Use gloves.
    Are you both vegetarians?

I think you must have some image of a heart from back in science class or something.

Preparing BH is no different then preparing any other meal for yourself.

Walmart has it already sliced up into easy strips to clean.

Check it out. Save money and add peace of mind.

And most importantly..............
    KNOW what your fish are eating instead of trusting some package label.

You are in control here making your own.

Read below what is happening in restaurants.
    This goes on all over the US.

An example would be salmon. People go out thinking they are eating salmon from Alaska when they are really eating farmed salmon but never can tell after the sauce put on them.

It's just not restaurants.

Fish food.
    Any kind of food that is packaged can have substitutions or not have what they say is in it to up their profit line.

That is why when I have the ability like BH to then add other ingredients into it I highly tout the benefits of doing so.

Fake Grouper Turns Up Around Florida
    By BRENDAN FARRINGTON – 2 days ago

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — At many restaurants around Florida, the specialty of the house is a slab of grouper, blackened, grilled, stuffed or encrusted with pecans, sometimes on a roll, maybe with a slice of Bermuda onion. But not at Richard Gonzmart's place.

Gonzmart, whose family has owned the Columbia restaurant in Tampa's Cuban-American Ybor City section for four generations, won't serve grouper, because he can't be sure he is getting the real thing from his suppliers.

Many restaurants in Florida have been caught passing off Asian catfish, tilapia or other cheaper species as grouper. Fake grouper is by far the biggest food-misrepresentation problem Florida inspectors handle, and it has turned up in all corners of the state — even at the Capitol cafeteria.

"I'm not going to take that chance because my reputation is more important than keeping grouper on the menu," Gonzmart said. "It's not worth it to take a short cut. If grouper is $20 a pound, so be it, but if we buy it for $20 a pound and it's not grouper, that's a problem."

The Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation, which regulates restaurants, found 139 cases of something other than grouper being sold as the fish between January 2006 through the end of last October — more than half of all food misrepresentation cases statewide during that time. The runners-up were 75 cases of fake crab and 34 cases of fake tuna.

"It's just a huge amount," said Department Secretary Holly Benson.

The problem has gone on for years but is receiving more attention lately.

About a year ago, an owner of two Florida Panhandle seafood companies was sentenced to prison after federal authorities caught him selling more than a million pounds of Asian catfish labeled as grouper.

In the Miami area, inspectors walked into a food processing plant and found workers taking 6,000 pounds of Vietnamese catfish that sells wholesale for about $2.50 a pound and repackaging it as grouper, which goes for about $6 wholesale.

And that hurts fishermen like Michael Athorn. He and his three-man crew spend up to 12 days 60 to 70 miles from shore in the Gulf of Mexico, trying to reach the 6,000-pound catch limit for grouper, which has to be caught on individual hooks.

Back on shore he has often found restaurants advertising grouper and putting something else on a plate.

"It's something that's aggravated us for a long time," he said. "I've embarrassed girlfriends and wives in the past by making a big point of it in a grocery store, letting them know it wasn't what it was. I've embarrassed people that I've taken out to dinner by refusing a meal that wasn't really grouper."

State officials are becoming more aware of the problem. Benson's agency has doubled the fine for restaurants from $250 to $500 for a first offense. Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson has posted a Web page with full-color, high-resolution photos that can show people how to distinguish real grouper — lean, thick, firm flesh — from thinner, darker fillets of Asian catfish.

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum hired a lab to perform DNA tests on grouper — or what was advertised as grouper — that investigators bought at 24 Tampa Bay-area restaurants. More than 17 of them were selling other types of fish, and McCollum reached settlements with all but one of them.

Among the substitutes were emperor fish, hake, sutchi, bream and green weakfish.

The lab was not asked to test grouper from grocery stores. But the wife of a lab scientist brought home some fillets a supermarket was selling as grouper, and the scientist took the fish to the lab and tested it.

"I don't know what it was. It wasn't grouper, that's all I do know," said scientist David Price.

Now Florida is going after bigger fish: distributors. The attorney general has subpoenaed records of several, including the biggest distributor, Sysco Food Services of West Coast Florida Inc.

"We've been asked to participate with cleaning up the industry and we have complied," said President Carl Cannova. "Quite frankly, we agree with the attorney general."

Sysco began its own random testing program about a year and a half ago. Cannova said a few shipments received shortly after testing began turned out to be other fish, and they were immediately kicked back to the supplier.

"Never, never, did we ever knowingly sell something as grouper that wasn't grouper," Cannova said.

On the Net:
    Department of Agriculture: http://www.fl-seafood.com/consumers/...bstitution.htm

I understand where you are coming from, but at this stage of my life I look to avoid problems.

Registered Member

Try here: http://chicagolanddiscus.com/
    He ships
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I understand where you are coming from, but at this stage of my life I look to avoid problems.

I agree! That's why I make my own. Good luck with the pre-made.

Thanks guys, you have been a good help to me. My discus are so happy with bloodworms and new spectrum they probably won't touch the beefheart/seafood mix, but I'll try.
    Last edited by MSD; 01-21-2008 at 09:37 AM.