ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Do you like FISHING!

I notice a few of you out there with pictures of fish. No, not discus or aquarium fish, but fish you have caught on rod and real.
    Me, l am a mad keen fisherman who enjoys all types of fishing. But, my favorite is Game Fishing, in particular Marlin.
    Now... l do keep that occassional fish for a feed for my family, but, I do release most of the fish l catch.
    Nothing thrills me more than seeing my kids having a great time out fishing, then releasing their catch in good condition. My youngest son Mathew really loves the sport, and hopes to come Marlin fishing with me to catch & release his first Striped or Black Marlin this year.
    We are very luck here in Australia to have a large diversity of fish, and l would like to use this thread to share some of the species l have caught with you.

And I really hope that you could do the same.

'Tight Lines'

1. My son with a nice Young snapper we call Pinkie.
    2. A larger snapper caught localy out of the bay.Port Phillip Bay. Victoria
    3. Baramundi caught up north in Cape York Queensland.
    4. Giant Trevelly, Cairns Quuensland. These grow much larger than this.
    5. Striped Marlin, approx' 70kg. Tag and released from Bermagui. N.S.W.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Very impressive Joe..those fish are huge especially the first one your son is holding.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks Renea. As you can imagine he was Stoked. He caught a bigger one than his dad that day, and he did't let me forget it either.
    Do you do any fishing up your way on the Murray River?

The only fish I've ever caught in the Murray is carp
    but I did catch a fish in Melb many yrs ago..we hired a little boat and went out a bit...actually went out way too far,I kept looking down into the water and imagined I was seeing sharks below..I made my freinds take me back but I couldn't recall what it was that I caught it was only a little minnow compared too what your used to..LOL.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by renae View Post
    ...actually went out way too far,I kept looking down into the water and imagined I was seeing sharks below..I made my freinds take me back but I couldn't recall what it was that I caught it was only a little minnow compared too what your used to..LOL.
    Sharks are great! They are our friends.

Great catches, Joe!! I do fish occassionally. I don't get out as much as my father does. He's the avid fisherman of the family, and I hope one day sooner than later, I'll be able to take him on an offshore trip.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hey there Jose. Off shore fishing is the best IMO. Lots of people go out and just see the ocean. There is so much nature out there to see. The last time l went off shore marlin fishing from cairns, we spotted a large whale shark and went in for a swim with her. To our amazement there where heaps of big eye tuna swimming underneath.
    We were in 2000 metres of cobolt blue water. WHAT A BUZZ!!

Those shots are just to cool. I guess I've always been a fan of ocean life; sucks to be land-locked.

OMG that is awesome..I would be too scared to do that but I do love ocean life..what else have you been swimming with?

hi there
    i used to be a commercial fisher i loved the job and especially tuna fishing but after years i started to see a differnt side of it ,loved sleeping on deck and just listening to the whales spurting amasing experience im not the biggest greenie but now have my reserves about comercial fishing but do still enjoy pleasure fishing occasianlly if any of you can track it down i read a book called sounding by hank earls totally made me re evaluate our oceans but now im content with my discus

Well..nothing big but..here's a few fish I caught from shore..

Sargo

Calico Bass

My son's first Yellow Fin Croaker

My son's Sandbass

Fish Fight pic

Dorado

YellowTail

Albacore

Spotfincroaker

My fishfight
    --Reid

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

I'll stick to fish in tank's,But those are some impressive fish Joe and Reid,thank's for sharing.( can i have chips with them ?)

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by renae View Post
    OMG that is awesome..I would be too scared to do that but I do love ocean life..what else have you been swimming with?
    The best snorkleing I have done is on the Great Barrier Reef, while in Cairns Marlin Fishing, but l hear that there are some really nice places to snorkel in Western Australia. One day l will get there.
    Since l have an underwater camera l sometimes get usked to jump in with a catch. Sometimes though when l do this l observer sharks coming up for an easy meal....that's when l get out quick.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

[QUOTE=greyhoundfan;433069]Well..nothing big but..here's a few fish I caught from shore..

Hey Reid...That's some nice fish you caught there mate. Size does not matter!!! it's the thrill of the catch, espacially when you have young kids in on the action. I just love to see that. Well done!!!
    I like that Yellow Tail King fish you caugth there, those things are brutal. Also liked the Albacore ('chicken of the sea') and Dorado (Dolphine Fish, Mahi Mahi). Don't you love to see them change colours during the battle?
    Check out the picture of the 14kg Darado l caught out of bateman's Bay N.S.W, and Big eye Tuna.

Keep those Photos coming Guys and Girls.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by majik View Post
    hi there
    i used to be a commercial fisher i loved the job and especially tuna fishing but after years i started to see a differnt side of it ,loved sleeping on deck and just listening to the whales spurting amasing experience im not the biggest greenie but now have my reserves about comercial fishing but do still enjoy pleasure fishing occasianlly if any of you can track it down i read a book called sounding by hank earls totally made me re evaluate our oceans but now im content with my discus
    Hey Majik. I am sure you got to see some amazing things during your time as a Commercial Fisherman.
    We sure do have to watch what we take out of the sea if we want it to substain us for ever? There are some tough regulation here set for commercial and recreational fisherman. I do think that it should be made tougher. IMO.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast