ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

While in New Jersey for the NADA Discus Show in July, i couldn't help doing a spot of fishing in their local waters. I love every opportunity to be on or near the water at anytime, and even more so during holidays. The easiest option for me was to book one of the 'Party Boats' out from Highlands NJ where we were taken out for the day chasing Fluke just out of Sandy Bay. There were only 20 or so other people on the boat which normally takes 60 which meant more room and less tangled lines.

Funnily enough the first fish i caught using their 'Charter Special' rod was the smallest Gummy Shark that i have ever seen. I think they referred to it as a dog shark, and there were also other species of small sharks caught on the day. The outfit i was using could have handled a 500lb beast, which made it a little difficult for 'finesse' fishing, but i still managed a good haul, using little fish for bait. Some of the other clients did well using soft plastics. I caught a few of the target species of fluke, but all under the 18" size limit. It didn't worry me as i was aiming to release all that i caught anyway , but my competitive nature still wanted me to catch a big one, since i also entered myself into the 'Pool' for biggest fish of the day.
    As well as interacting with some of the other fisherman, i enjoyed catching some 'Sea Robins', and another species that i cant remember what it was called.

All in all it was a great day, enjoying the sights with wonderful company...a day that i wont be forgetting in a hurry.

37019278_10156162066730266_3155208672154484736_n.jpg1-20180711_074431.jpg36926101_10156162066800266_4179506806873128960_n.jpg36927836_10156162067110266_6624389628424093696_n.jpg36946943_10156162067020266_6334220894876991488_n.jpg36988161_10156162066940266_4112166074768687104_n.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

It was great meeting you Joe. That first fish looks like a flounder...eyes on the same side of the head?? As a kid I use to go out with my dad on the family boat out of Sebastian Inlet out into the Ocean and boy we had fun. One time we caught so many fish my dad loaded them into a wheelbarrow and was giving fish to all the neighbors.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    It was great meeting you Joe. That first fish looks like a flounder...eyes on the same side of the head?? As a kid I use to go out with my dad on the family boat out of Sebastian Inlet out into the Ocean and boy we had fun. One time we caught so many fish my dad loaded them into a wheelbarrow and was giving fish to all the neighbors.
    Pat

Pleasure was all mine Pat

We have flounder here in Australia as well with eyes on the same side as the one pictured, though they are not as slender as the ones we were catching here.
    I can just picture your dad with that haul of fish in the wheelbarrow, and a wonderful childhood memory. Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Steve

Love your fishing pics, Joe. It was great to meet you and visit at NADA. About the only thing better than getting to interact with people from all over the world here on SD, is meeting them in person at the NADA show!

My granddaughter just finished an oceanography degree at Scripps. She's gone from swordtail fishing with her Dad, to wanting to save the oceans. Very proud.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 07-23-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Love your fishing pics, Joe. It was great to meet you and visit at NADA. About the only thing better than getting to interact with people from all over the world here on SD, is meeting them in person at the NADA show!

My granddaughter just finished an oceanography degree at Scripps. She's gone from swordtail fishing with her Dad, to wanting to save the oceans. Very proud.
    Thanks Steve. I wish i spent more time chatting with you and your lovely wife Cindy. That's awesome news about your grand daughter, and you have good reason to be proud. My daughter took a similar path for awhile. We need more people like her educating us on how to ensure that our oceans keep yielding for our needs in the future.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 07-23-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Registered Member

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    51.5 musky I caught last week!
    Nice catch Matt! I bet that burnt off a bit of line!

Dang, nice one! I've never hooked one of those. Closest was pickerel

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Nice catch Matt! I bet that burnt off a bit of line!
    thanks ya it was a good fight i was looking at some of the fish youll caught on this post you have caught some huge fish!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Dang, nice one! I've never hooked one of those. Closest was pickerel
    Thanks Jack there not the easiest fish to catch but there worth it when you hook up with one

Thanks Jack there not the easiest fish to catch but there worth it when you hook up with one
    yeah, and i learned fast do NOT thumb them : )
    was that a lake you caught that in? if yes, how big was the lake?
    what was the bait?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    yeah, and i learned fast do NOT thumb them : )
    was that a lake you caught that in? if yes, how big was the lake?
    what was the bait?
    I caught it on Eagle lake in Ontario Canada and the bait i used was a top water bait topper stopper. Not sure how big Eagle is but its a huge body of water

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Is Eagle Lake just west of Dryden in Ontario? My brothers live up there. Great area to fish and hunt!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Is Eagle Lake just west of Dryden in Ontario? My brothers live up there. Great area to fish and hunt!
    Yes it is right next to Dryden. yes sir that's the lake its beautiful up there!

Yes! I like fishing Joe! I’ve been at it for about 2 full days now!!! Stop laughing! There’s a reason why I just got the bug. My family belongs to a local sailing club. It’s on a beautiful piece of waterfront property on Irondequoit Bay off of Lake Ontario. The club gives members access 24/7 to enjoy the property for activities other than sailing. My sister and I camped there recently and I noticed some pretty large fish jumping around us as we swam. Bringing back memories of fishing with my dad as a child, I decided to revisit the idea. I found an insane garage sale full of rods, reels and tackle. I got everything I needed for a steal. A few YouTube videos later and some phenomenal expert advice from a great friend and I’m having a blast. I’m so hooked. I have tons to learn and find learning and practicing as much fun and challenging as actually fishing. Learning the feeding habits and behavior of the different species of fish, the art of tying perfect knots and all of the skills required to be successful simply fascinate me. This will be an incredible activity to do at the sail club as well as the many other places I visit. With the beautiful Finger Lakes and water all around me... I can’t believe I never thought to get back into it before! It’s so much fun! I see your passion here Joe! I’ll be following this post from now on. Enjoying watching others and maybe learning something new. Thank you! Maybe the next pic I post will have a fish in it!
    377FCDA1-5DEB-4B18-96F4-CC6AEA10D1C9.jpg
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast