AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Hey Joe, what a great outing with the grandkids and those larger models look nice and healthy. What is the purpose for adding the larger rainbows? Was it to add breeding size fish to the lake?

When I lived to Colorado I went fishing all the time with my brother-in-law Tim. We fished the mountain streams for brookies or brook trout around the beaver dams. The brookies were small but tasted wonderful especially when cooked outside and eaten around a campfire. The state also stocked the streams with larger rainbows but the stocked fish always seemed to lack in taste.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hey Joe, what a great outing with the grandkids and those larger models look nice and healthy. What is the purpose for adding the larger rainbows? Was it to add breeding size fish to the lake?

When I lived to Colorado I went fishing all the time with my brother-in-law Tim. We fished the mountain streams for brookies or brook trout around the beaver dams. The brookies were small but tasted wonderful especially when cooked outside and eaten around a campfire. The state also stocked the streams with larger rainbows but the stocked fish always seemed to lack in taste.
    Pat

Hi Pat.
    It certainly was a fun time spent with the grand kids, and i must say they enjoyed it as much as i did.

Those large rainbow trout were bred by a private hatchery here in Melbourne and raised for human consumption. Victorian Fisheries Authority, which is a government department, purchased 1000 of these large fish, and released 500 of them along large stretches of the Goulburne River out in Regional Victoria, to promote their 'Target On Million' project. Its all about getting people outdoors and having a go at fishing, so having these large fish for people to catch was a huge draw card and a big success. The remaining 500 large trout were released in Melbourne Metropolitan lakes which are much more accessible to the larger part of the population. I'm pretty sure that the trout released into the Metro ponds and lakes would not breed.
    Here's a link to VFA's TIM if you want further information. It really is a good scheme, and part of the money i spend on my fishing license goes into it. They also create artificial reefs out in the Bay, and update our launching facilities, so no one in fishing gets left out.

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-...etonemillion2#

DbHx8yTV4AIUl2F.jpg

I love that you also fished, and it really doesn't surprise me. Its a great way to connect with nature, and i can only imagine how cool it would have been to get a glimpse of those beavers working on their dams. There's something special about food cooked on open coals out in the bush, and im sure the wild caught trout had a much more natural diet than those grain fed stocked fish.

You're in a great location now as well if you ever thought about wetting a line....but dont expect to catch those brookies now

I'd love to see any photos you may have of your fishing adventures, and can only imagine how good they'd be with the current equipment you have.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Fritz

fish.jpg

Catch these at the coast. Havn't been able to go for awhile due to covid outbreak. Catch and release on this one. Black Drum. Redfish and smaller drum ya, eat those babies
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by famtsberg View Post

Catch these at the coast. Havn't been able to go for awhile due to covid outbreak. Catch and release on this one. Black Drum. Redfish and smaller drum ya, eat those babies
    That's a pretty good catch Fritz, especially being land based. That one looks alot like our red snapper, which are coming into our bay to spawn now. Like you im restricted from getting there to fish for them due to Covid, but ive been seeing some good reports from those that can. What's your favorite bait for those?

Its great when you can enjoy your hobby, and also take home a feed.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    That's a pretty good catch Fritz, especially being land based. That one looks alot like our red snapper, which are coming into our bay to spawn now. Like you im restricted from getting there to fish for them due to Covid, but ive been seeing some good reports from those that can. What's your favorite bait for those?

Its great when you can enjoy your hobby, and also take home a feed.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I like live crab for bait. They are known around here as. "big uglies." lol. The red fish will hit live crab also but they like shrimp or half crab better. Nice thing is lots of sea trout and small flounder in the same spots. I have a nice ultralight for those. Reminds of trout days. Good eating man. . Red Snapper are delicious. Hopefully you can get out and catch some soon.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I like live crab for bait. They are known around here as. "big uglies." lol. The red fish will hit live crab also but they like shrimp or half crab better. Nice thing is lots of sea trout and small flounder in the same spots. I have a nice ultralight for those. Reminds of trout days. Good eating man. . Red Snapper are delicious. Hopefully you can get out and catch some soon.

Thanks for the good information.

At this point we are going to be let loose on the 8th of November...l just need some good weather on my side and i'll be out there chasing those reds.... gummy sharks,squid, and flathead. We don't buy fish so my family are relying on me to bring some home for a feed

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

With our states borders opening and closing due to Covid-19, we were not sure sure if we would be able to cross over to N.S.W this year for our marlin trip. We had been hearing of a hot bite happening out from Jervis Bay and had planned to leave after work on the Friday afternoon, and after a ten hour drive be ready to launch the next morning.

Friday came and i received a call from my mate Paul around noon asking if i had heard the latest announcement. There had been a handful of new cases in our state of Victoria, and we were going to be back on Stage 4 Lock Down after midnight for 5 days.

A decision was made to leave at 4pm to ensure we had plenty of time to get across the border well before midnight and escape being locked in. Our plan got us into N.S.W o.k, but the weather didn't get the memo. From the eight days away we managed to get four fishing day in.

Paul nor his sixteen year old son Jake had never caught marlin, and neither did our friend Michael, after eight yearly trips with his friends without success.

On our first day out we managed four hookups on Stripe Marlin, and bought three to the boat all of which were released except one which we weighed for Jake and harvested to feed out families. Micheal had also finally caught his first marlin, and it was certainly a good day to celebrate.

I was lucky to hook up on a Black Marlin which won its freedom after a forty minute struggle, and a Stripe Marlin on our last day which we tagged and released.

All in all it was a great trip, which was made even better by escaping the five day Lock Down

j3.jpg
    j2.jpg
    j4.jpgj1.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Bloody marvelous mate...that is a hot bite!! Wish I was there too

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Real Name
    Fritz

Went to Port Lavaca this weekend caught this bad boy and a 24 pack of Coors Light.

me and fish.jpg

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Nice work, and great effort from land base. Enjoy some good feeds from that one as well as some more Coors

Real Name
    Fritz

camp site.jpg
    me and drum.jpg

Last weekend in Pt Lavaca Texas
    tent is a full size bed with a tent on top.
    Drum was 41 inches. Love the Texas gulf coast.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Last weekend in Pt Lavaca Texas
    tent is a full size bed with a tent on top.
    Drum was 41 inches. Love the Texas gulf coast.
    That's a sweet set up Fritz
    I like how your tent is set up off the ground. That would be real handy here in Australia, to keep all the nasty critters we have out, especially some of the world's most venomous snakes.
    That's a really nice Drum, i bet they pull hard too.
    Thanks for sharing your pics.

On a side note, i'm turning 60 in June, and have decided to treat myself to a two day charter chasing swordfish. I was torn between catching my first sword out of Ft Lauderdale, Florida, or here at Malacoota Victoria. Since we are restricted from traveling overseas at the moment, its going to be here in Victoria. I have someone lined up to take me out who has lots of experience and success, and catches some beauties. Ive known Richie from 'Dream Catcher' since i first started game fishing nearly 25 years ago.

I'll be sure to fill you all in on how it all goes when it happens. Due to it being weather dependent, we don't have a set date, but my bag is packed and im ready to go at short notice.

swrd1.jpg

DAMN, Fritz! Nice Red!

Joe, nice bill! Buddy hooked an early season blue (approx 500lb) during mahi slam tournament 2 weeks ago towards the shelf off South Edisto/Hilton Head area. They should have released it because they hooked it within 5 minutes of setting out lines and ate up the first four hours of their tournament time. They still tore it up with some pretty big bulls to bring to the dock when everyone else went straight out from Charleston shore (suuuuucks so bad because shelf is by far the furthest away when straight east from Charleston).

Nothing spectacular... but quick redfish/flounder "fix" at my buddy's 64 acre saltwater "pond" (I'm sorry, but that's considered a damn LAKE in my book). Beautiful lowcountry, untouched land that I'm lucky to keep my ugly little boat at :P. It's always so active with fish & wild life there. Look over my left shoulder and you can see mullet jumping, reds pushing, and I'm sure a disturbance or 2 are gators (had a 9 ft'er "spectating" 30 ft away all night). Tons of shrimp in one cast net throw... eating size! (I already have the coconut flakes and oil ready)
    Resized_Resized_20210515_201836.jpg
    Last edited by pastry; 05-23-2021 at 11:32 PM.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    DAMN, Fritz! Nice Red!

Joe, nice bill! Buddy hooked an early season blue (approx 500lb) during mahi slam tournament 2 weeks ago towards the shelf off South Edisto/Hilton Head area. They should have released it because they hooked it within 5 minutes of setting out lines and ate up the first four hours of their tournament time. They still tore it up with some pretty big bulls to bring to the dock when everyone else went straight out from Charleston shore (suuuuucks so bad because shelf is by far the furthest away when straight east from Charleston).

Nothing spectacular... but quick redfish/flounder "fix" at my buddy's 64 acre saltwater "pond" (I'm sorry, but that's considered a damn LAKE in my book). Beautiful lowcountry, untouched land that I'm lucky to keep my ugly little boat at :P. It's always so active with fish & wild life there. Look over my left shoulder and you can see mullet jumping, reds pushing, and I'm sure a disturbance or 2 are gators (had a 9 ft'er "spectating" 30 ft away all night). Tons of shrimp in one cast net throw... eating size! (I already have the coconut flakes and oil ready)

Hey elliot.
    Nice to see that you're still getting out there. 64 Acres of pond is indeed a lake, and you're lucky to have access to it. Apart from the gators, what other wildlife is on the property? If i remember correctly you once told me that you also hunt.

Too bad all that time was chewed up fighting that blue marlin, unfortunately that happens sometime, whether is from a stubborn fish or under gunned gear.

Nice fish you caught there....do you eat those with your prawns?

Always nice to hear from you mate.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast