ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer building

Real Name
    Matt

Default Computer building

#nerdhat

Anyone into building computers? I can't say I'm mega experienced or can fully speak the lingo but I know enough to be dangerous and I've been doing it for myself for years now everytime I need a new one. Figured I'd ask because I enjoy it and I know its another niche type hobby out there. I'm not brave enough yet to dive into the whole overclocking thing and start screwing with the BIOS, usually just run stock everything but I always seem drawn to the parts that allow me to OC if I wanted to. I probably should attempt it at some point.

I don't know, been pricing out a new build recently and figured I'd ask! Tell you what though...they are as expensive as a new DSLR camera setup! Crazy. And technology is flying. Especially in my case because I'm a couple years behind now and still working on a 1080p setup. Want to move to a 1440p or 4k setup (more than likely a 1440). Especially DDR4, stuff is selling for the price of a top end Video card or processor. Wouldn't really be able to use anything off of my current computer for the rebuild save for the case, but in reality thats one of the cheapest parts to buy. Guess this is one of those things i'll be forced to sell the old, but good, parts to make up the cost of the new one.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Computer building

I wish I knew how to do this Matt. I got mine built by one of my IT co-workers for gaming and recently it has been bogging down. I have done clean ups but still takes a while to boot and browse the web now. If I could build my own I am sure I would have done it now. Good luck with the new build.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Its really all about figuring out what parts are compatible with what, of course with a general understanding of stuff like sizes (memory wise) and speeds of everything. Actually putting it together is the easy part, although I've fried a couple of motherboards before. And you have stuff that basically pairs together, you can throw most any graphics card in most any motherboard but you have to pair the processor with a specific type of motherboard and thats where your upgrades start getting tricky and costly. I want to update a processor but that leads into a motherboard upgrade too, and in many cases a RAM upgrade after that. Snowball effect. http://pcpartpicker.com/ makes it really really easy now, before that site you had to hunt and search almost every little detail. Funny the driving force for this was 2 things. GTA 5 FINALLY being released on PC in April and wanting a better setup for photo/video editing. My setup will do both currently but I want more lol. And being able to upgrade to a 1440p workspace would be a dream, so much more space than 1080p, I could actually get more than 1/4th of a RAW image on screen in photoshop then. I've cooled my gaming over the years, but always like to have a PC capable of going back that way if I wanted to.

My current setup uses an SSD hard drive as a boot drive, meaning JUST Windows 7 occupies it and the computer boots from that drive when I hit power. From a cold start up the computer boots to desktop in a matter of seconds, no more than 20secs. Its amazing. This new computer I want more of the same, keep the SSD boot drive and pack it full of RAM to increase my application speeds. I might have to do this in steps. New monitor(s) and new graphics card to run them, then slowly switch everything else over. Hmmm.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Its really all about figuring out what parts are compatible with what, of course with a general understanding of stuff like sizes (memory wise) and speeds of everything. Actually putting it together is the easy part, although I've fried a couple of motherboards before. And you have stuff that basically pairs together, you can throw most any graphics card in most any motherboard but you have to pair the processor with a specific type of motherboard and thats where your upgrades start getting tricky and costly. I want to update a processor but that leads into a motherboard upgrade too, and in many cases a RAM upgrade after that. Snowball effect. http://pcpartpicker.com/ makes it really really easy now, before that site you had to hunt and search almost every little detail. Funny the driving force for this was 2 things. GTA 5 FINALLY being released on PC in April and wanting a better setup for photo/video editing. My setup will do both currently but I want more lol. And being able to upgrade to a 1440p workspace would be a dream, so much more space than 1080p, I could actually get more than 1/4th of a RAW image on screen in photoshop then. I've cooled my gaming over the years, but always like to have a PC capable of going back that way if I wanted to.

My current setup uses an SSD hard drive as a boot drive, meaning JUST Windows 7 occupies it and the computer boots from that drive when I hit power. From a cold start up the computer boots to desktop in a matter of seconds, no more than 20secs. Its amazing. This new computer I want more of the same, keep the SSD boot drive and pack it full of RAM to increase my application speeds. I might have to do this in steps. New monitor(s) and new graphics card to run them, then slowly switch everything else over. Hmmm.
    Sounds awesome and also sounds like alien talk in parts but I get the general gist. Let us know how it goes.

P.S. I want to upgrade just for faster processing speed on PS Edits. I actually have it so that when PS is up and running, the computer allocates almost all resources to PS, which, I just had a lightbulb over my head, may explain WHY everything is moving so slow. I have had a photo in my PS edit for some time now without working on it. That might just be what is slowing down my cpt, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I used to be big into computer building and phone hacking and programming but then I had a kid and it stopped which is fine cause it got me into discus. I have thought about getting back into it but now me and wife have another baby coming in 7 months so it'll have to wait alittle longer. I used to love overclocking and undervolting especially with android phones but I love my fish more. And my kids of course lol. Are you planning on using Linux or windows for your new one?

Matt,
    Thats another of my hobbies. I even went as far as taking A+ cert training for it( my old lab paid). I FIX computers as part time thing.

I dont use it to build new ones though. I work on old Ibm Thinkpads Laptops mostly.. I Love those laptops ... rock solid. Lol...embarased to say it but I have a collection of them..going back. I even still have a few 600x here. ...not much I can use them for these days but they were my favorites as they were what I learned most on. I use one as a mp3 player in my basement now.I have rebuilt many different thinkpads models for my brothers and sistersnieces and nephews. Linux on them all.. ..last headcount the clan is running about 13 linux ibm thinkpads..NO windows for me..
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-25-2015 at 12:17 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Sounds awesome and also sounds like alien talk in parts but I get the general gist. Let us know how it goes.

P.S. I want to upgrade just for faster processing speed on PS Edits. I actually have it so that when PS is up and running, the computer allocates almost all resources to PS, which, I just had a lightbulb over my head, may explain WHY everything is moving so slow. I have had a photo in my PS edit for some time now without working on it. That might just be what is slowing down my cpt, lol.
    Ricardo,
    How much ram does your system have?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by sdrexler078 View Post
    I used to be big into computer building and phone hacking and programming but then I had a kid and it stopped which is fine cause it got me into discus. I have thought about getting back into it but now me and wife have another baby coming in 7 months so it'll have to wait alittle longer. I used to love overclocking and undervolting especially with android phones but I love my fish more. And my kids of course lol. Are you planning on using Linux or windows for your new one?
    Windows, I've never even used a Linux machine before lol I hope Al doesn't fall out of his chair. I don't know, I kind of want to work on someone else's Linux machine before I put it on mine type of thing, creature of habit and comfort in knowing I know my way around windows.
    -Matt

Lol Matt,
    Go to distrowatch.com
    down load some .iso discs of the various linux systems and burn to a dvd or copy to a usb flash drive. Then try them out live....no risk to your current Windows box. If you like it then you can install dual boot where you choose at start up whether you use windows or linux. Incidentally most linux distros come stock with gimp for digital editting.

Good transition from windows ones are Ubuntu,Mint,opensuse, and fedora. My kids have been using linux since they were 6 or 7 and readily can switch between Linux and Windows with no problems. For some reasons schools still prefer to pay for liscences to microsoft and Apple on everything...and overlook all linux has to offer.Which is a shame,and financially stupid.At the minimum, they should run dual boot systems and take advantage of the incredible number of free open source programming.

Anyhow..if you need any help on the linux let me know..Ive tried most of them. I lean toward Linux Mint these days..but I run an Ubuntu version on the multimedia pc hooked up to our living room flatscreen. have a few distros on usb sticks that I take with when traveling. That way if I need to use a hotel computer or a friends I can run it from the USB with zero chance of Security issues.

Hth,
    Al

As a side...The android operating system for smart phones is Based off the linux kernal.. downloading and installing apps on a smart phone is remarkable similar to downloading and installing software from a package manager in Linux.
    http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/...g-system0.html
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-25-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ricardo,
    How much ram does your system have?
    Al
    16gb of ram
    Last edited by rickztahone; 03-25-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: sp.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

16 is good. You'd be hard pressed to find a game that needs that much but that much would come in handy with general computer work. I'm going to start with 16 myself in the new build and then get another set of 16 down the road. The new x99 chipset can support up to 128GB of ram which is utterly INSANE.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    16 is good. You'd be hard pressed to find a game that needs that much but that much would come in handy with general computer work. I'm going to start with 16 myself in the new build and then get another set of 16 down the road. The new x99 chipset can support up to 128GB of ram which is utterly INSANE.
    I may try to add another 16gb to see if that helps. I forgot to close down PS last night to see if it helped with the speed, ughh.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ralph

huh...lets see what other threads I can follow or offer input.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I may try to add another 16gb to see if that helps. I forgot to close down PS last night to see if it helped with the speed, ughh.
    Just make sure your motherboard can support it before buying it!

LOL Ralph! I know it can sound and look like a foreign language sometimes.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

hey guys, in almost all basic cases there is no need for more than 16GB of RAM in a desktop computer.

The most common source of system slow down tends to be malware of any sort, followed by registry errors and finally, disk fragmentation for those who still use platter hard drives.

common applications like web browsers also tend to have memory leaks so leaving them on for days can eat up system resources.

now legitimate situations that DO eat up tons of ram are things like working with massive raw images in photoshop that have sizes that need to be measured in gigabytes, virtual machines, and anything on that level.

if the cause is disk fragmentation, getting a Solid State drive is going to be a much bigger help than buying more RAM.
    Last edited by kris2341; 03-25-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast