ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Registered Member

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Some great Fishing stories and pictures.

Its almost striper season here. I cant wait. I catch 5-30lb stripes all summer long from my canoe on a local river. Very few people know about the excellent striper fishery here. Even people that have lived on the river for years dont realize that there are monsters in the shallow waters. a blast on medium spinning gear and topwater plugs from a canoe. I'll post some pics soon.
    Scott

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Appart fromthe fact that l love fishing, l also love the opportunities it gives me to travel, especial with my life long partner, Rita.
    I'd like to share a recent trip we did together to New Zealand.

When my wife Rita asked me if we could go to New Zealand for her birthday, l said "Yes dear, I know just the place". I just could break her heart and say no. Grin

With the recent devestation that occured with the earthquakes on the South Island, l thought that it would be best to fly to Auckland and travel north to the Bay Of Islands, a place that l read so much about when l first got into game fishing, and have always wanted to visit.
    Now even though my intension was to do some fishing there, l also wanted to make it a pleasurable trip for Rita.
    We spent some time in Auckland and went on a Whale Watching trip to the Hauraki Gulf, which only produced lots of feeding dolphines, and spectacular sights of Gannets diving in for a feed, and also massive flocks of Little Shearwaters.

A short stopover at Pakiri Beach on the way north, gave us a chance to go on a trail ride.

I was having a great time, and so was Rita, as we made our way to the Bay of Islands. We arrived there mid afternoon, and did some sight seeing during which time l recieved a call from Andrew at Anglers Anonymous that our charter was cancelled due to bad weather, and would see if an opportunity presented itself during our time there

The views from the Waitangi National Reserve were spectacular as was Haruru Falls

We spent the next day sight seeing the area, and took the car ferry across to Russell, where l knew the Bay of Islands Swordfishing Club was situated.

We were supposed to be out fishing this day, but still managed to view some game fish, and souvineer shopping, so all was going well.

Back at our hotel, l gave Andrew a call to see how the next day was looking, and luckily enough we were going to have a window of opportunity and go out on his 9 metre heavily modified Craig Loomes, the same designer of the well known New Zealand boat 'Ultimate Lady'

The conditions in the morning were perfect for the runout to 'Stoney Point', and we stopped for a short live bait gathering session which quickly filled our tank with yakkas up to the 300 mm mark. Before too long we were drifting over some king fish grounds using shakespear ugly sticks with shimano TLD 25 reels spool with 37kg mono....and in a very short time could see why.

These Kingfish pull hard, and are not called the 'hoodlems of the sea' for nothing. Rita bought in the first Kingfish to the boat, her first kingfish and around the 14kg mark.....She was wrapped!!

It wasn't long after that l had a hit, only to loose it the a 2 metre long bronze whaler, and another attempt that saw me busted up on the rocks below. In the meantime Louie for San Diego bought in a nice 20kg model.

Rita had a grin on here face suggesting that she might out fish me on this trip, but it soon turned a bit yellow, when the wind stirred things up a bit, which had her producing some burely over the side for us. What a way to spend her birthday

I asked our chef at our hotel whether he would cook our catch, and he obliged, but until this time we hadn't kept any of our fish, and some even caught jigging with butterfly knife jigs. Things had slowed up a bit around mid day, but with limited time left l dropped down another 'livie' to catch another Kingfish to keep for a feed, weighing in at around 18kg, and my P.B Kingfish to date.

Happy Birthday Rita

All in all, we had a great time.....and the beer and fresh oysters where good as well

We're here for a good time...not a long time

I haven't fished in quite some time but I really enjoyed it. The salmon fishing was out of this world in the Queen Charlotte Islands. I took steelhead fishing as a PE course when I was an undergraduate but I got a B - I'm sure it's because I didn't catch a fish on the field trip. I'm a firm believer in eat-what-you-catch. Otherwise, don't fish.

Welcome back Joe , seems like a wonderful trip and a great Bday gift for Rita ! what can b better then to see loved ones happy
    I hope Rita was first " wrapped!!" and now hooked on fishing !LOL
    great story thank u for sharing !
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Guys and Gals.
    Hope this little post finds you all well. We are enjoying summer here at the moment and enjoying what our bay has to offer this time of year. Mainly snapper, squid, and whitting are caught now, but its alway great to be on the water dangling a line whatever the outcome.

I just wanted to share a short video clips from my recent trip to Cairns

I'm very excited about a few trips l have planned for the new year. The main one being to Panama where l'm going with a friend from Los Angles to fish 'Tropic Star Lodge', which is right at the top of my Bucket list. You can check out what this place is all about here......

http://www.facebook.com/tropicstarlodge?ref=ts&fref=ts

I was in America last year and put in my request to do this trip, and l'm so excited about it comming together. While l was in Los Angeles, and also Ft Lauderdale Florida, l was given the opportunity to enjoy catching some new species.

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and that 2013 also brings you all some great fishing adventures.

Tight Lines.

Joe

some picture of what l've been up to.

My go at Giant Tarpon in ft Lauderdale

Various other new species in Los Angles

a visit to the IGFA museum in Florida

Me and the hooter girls in Vegas.....OOPS...how did this get in here Wink

Some recent fishing out fron Cairns in Qeensland Australia

Feel free to ask any questions, and please share some of your fishing moments on here.

Cheers.

P.S. Vera, Rita was very happy with her catch untill she turned green and started throwing up. She was a real trooper though, and did ask to be taken back ashore

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Just another little clip of us having fun catching juvinille black marlin on a boat called 'Pirate'.....and we also dressed up for the occasion

Umm, I have one question. did you go to Hooters for the wings or the girls?

Great pictures. I love fishing and last year I went deep sea fishing off the Channel Islands in California. What a great experience.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Umm, I have one question. did you go to Hooters for the wings or the girls?

Great pictures. I love fishing and last year I went deep sea fishing off the Channel Islands in California. What a great experience.
    Who can resist 25c chicken wings after midnight?.......though the girls were very pleasant.
    What did you end up catching while deep sea fishing?

We caught Ling Cod and Red Snappers mostly. I must say that the first day they had a $5.00 a person pot for the biggest and I happened to reel in the biggest Ling Cod (possibly 20 lbs, will find picture) and it was the last catch of the day right before they said "reel em up."

Next fishing trip will be for Halibut possibly.

Nice marlin in the above pictures. How much did it weigh in at?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Awesome! Well Done. Looking forward to seeing the pics. while in Los Angles my mate took me out to St.Clements Island. Was a super calm day for the long run out. He was suprised with the smallish size cod we caught there, but l was happy for they were all firsts for me. He's the Guy l'm going to Panmama with in July, and even though blue, and black marlin are on the cards, l'm looking forward to catching my first rooster fish....can't wait

That sounds like it will be an awesome trip. Hope you catch what you are looking for. But, I would be inclined to think a marlin would be a dream catch for me or anyone, lol.

Lots of pictures.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Registered Member

My wife and I fly-fish for Atlantic salmon in the Dee river in Scotland. Fish up to 20lbs. But not when we had the camera with us!

Never went fly fishing, although I always wanted to try it. I hear it can become very expensive especially making your own flys. But hey, whats not expensive in the hobby world.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    Never went fly fishing, although I always wanted to try it. I hear it can become very expensive especially making your own flys. But hey, whats not expensive in the hobby world.
    Jeff - now you are into talking about my addiction! If you have always wanted to go, you should try it. Fly fishing really doesn't have to be expensive. You can get into it with a used rod/reel outfit, some waders and wading boots and a small box of flies. It takes you to some beautiful places and you meet all sorts of wonderful people in the sport. If you ever find yourself in Colorado, look me up. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to it!

Sandy

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Would love to hear about some of your adventures Sandy. Are you chasing trout, or other species? Its something l'd like to get into one day, when l'm ready to dedicate alot of time to it.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast