ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like FISHING!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Do you like FISHING!

Wow Arden. Those are some nice looking Salmon there.
    You sure those pictues are on the lake?......It must be huge.
    Your style of fishing is a little similar, we also sometimes use down riggers to get our baits down to where the fish are.
    Once again its nice to see family fishing moments. Thanks for sharing.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Thought I'd add a few pics from my annual trip to the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) in northern MN. There are basically no boats with motors allowed in this area, access by canoe only. This year will be my 4th trip up there, usually camping & fishing for about a week.

1) Nice Smallie from 2006.
    2) Couple Walleye (dinner) from 2006. That's what we fish for in MN mostly - delicious...
    3) Nice stringer of walleye from last year. (Mine are the 6 on the right )
    4) And this is what we call a good day fishing!!! Mix of walleye and crappie there.

Trevor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

What beautifull scenery. It's great being out in the wilderness. Do you come across much wild life? And, l pressume you are fishing out of your canoe.
    It's good seeing the different species you guys get in your rivers there. The 'Walleye' in your second picture looks a little like our Murry Cod. Some people here keep them in Aquariums. They can get very large.

You sure those pictues are on the lake?......It must be huge
    Yes, it is big, about 80 miles across, from side to side and much longer from top to bottom.
    It is simialar to the ocean "I am told", but the waves are usually much closer together.

Thanks for the kind words

Ardan

Registered Member

Yes, the BWCA is a gorgeous area. Completely unspoiled by man, no docks, houses, or motor boats. I usually see some wildlife mostly various birds, otters, beavers, and an occasional white tail deer. If you are lucky you can see black bear or moose. Also, my partner two years ago believes he saw a bobcat - I had a canoe on my head at the time so I didn't see much of anything besides my feet

Walleye can also get pretty large for a freshwater fish especially in the big lakes like Lake Michigan or Superior. I think the state record is around 17lbs. Probably pretty small yet compared with a cod..

I need to find that picture of the 180lb halibut (my wife caught) while we were in Alaska a few years ago.

Trevor

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I mentioned earlier that we caught an 1140lb Black Marlin. After battleing with this fish for 2 1/2 hours she surfaced in very bad condition. We decided to keep her and weigh her. we were out on the sea mounts about 80 miles out of Cairns in Queensland on a four day 'live on board' charter.A boat from New Zealand called 'Ultimate Lady' had the right equipment, including a crane to weigh her for us. She ended up being the largest fish weighed in Cairns for the season. A real pitty it ended up this way.
    A more fitting ending would have been a quick catch and release in good condition.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Joe,
    that is one large fish ! would make lot's of good seafood mix for your discus ! great pics thank's for sharing.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks Darren....Do you want chips with that?

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I mentioned earlier that we caught an 1140lb Black Marlin. After battleing with this fish for 2 1/2 hours she surfaced in very bad condition. We decided to keep her and weigh her. we were out on the sea mounts about 80 miles out of Cairns in Queensland on a four day 'live on board' charter.A boat from New Zealand called 'Ultimate Lady' had the right equipment, including a crane to weigh her for us. She ended up being the largest fish weighed in Cairns for the season. A real pitty it ended up this way.
    A more fitting ending would have been a quick catch and release in good condition.
    wow that really is some fish yes i do know of the ultimate lady that fish must be the talk of some fishy talesit is sad to not be able to release such a lovely fish but guess thats the way it goes

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

One my very first trip out game fisihng on my brother's boat, l caught a 10 foot hammerhead shark, as excited as l was l decided to release her. The next day my brother hooked onto a much larger bronze whaler shark which he asked me to gaff when it came to the boat. About 2 hours later it surface right besides the 16ft boat we were on, but instead of pulling out the gaffs l pulled out a knife to cut the line......This thing was as big as the boat, at least. I remeber its eyes the size of an orange looking at me.
    We never photographed those fish, but here are a couple photos of much smaller sharks we have caught and kept for a feed....or two.

Photo 1. 90kg Mako Shark.
    Photo 2. 70kg Mako Shark.
    Photo 3. Bango Shark.

One my very first trip out game fisihng on my brother's boat, l caught a 10 foot hammerhead shark, as excited as l was l decided to release her. The next day my brother hooked onto a much larger bronze whaler shark which he asked me to gaff when it came to the boat. About 2 hours later it surface right besides the 16ft boat we were on, but instead of pulling out the gaffs l pulled out a knife to cut the line......This thing was as big as the boat, at least. I remeber its eyes the size of an orange looking at me.
    We never photographed those fish, but here are a couple photos of much smaller sharks we have caught and kept for a feed....or two.

Photo 1. 90kg Mako Shark.
    Photo 2. 70kg Mako Shark.
    Photo 3. Bango Shark.
    sounds like u love fish the way i have come to (judging by that smile on inside out clip) you realy must get a copy of that book sounding if you cant find 1 ill post it 2 u to read it changed the way i think very powerfull book

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi there Majik. l am interested to know more about your book 'Sounding' , I have sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Yes, it is big, about 80 miles across, from side to side and much longer from top to bottom.
    It is simialar to the ocean "I am told", but the waves are usually much closer together.

Thanks for the kind words

Ardan
    Now thats what I call fresh water fishin!!

Not to many lakes you can go on an not see land!

Quote Originally Posted by two utes
    Holy Cow Joe!! 1140lb Marlin!!!

I should change my name to baitalker now!

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi there 'baitalker' ...........Eh! l mean Bastalker! Yes she's the biggest fish I've ever seen up close, except for that 14 metre whale shark we swam with.
    The IGFA world record claim, for the biggest black marlin caught on rod and real, was and still is by a gentleman by the name of Alfred Glessell Jr. Back on the 4th August 1953 he caught and landed a black marlin which weighed a massive 1560lb (707.61 kg) from Cabo Blanco Peru.
    Bigger fish have been hooked up but not landed, and caimed to be around the 2000lb plus mark......now thats alot of fish.

Hi there 'baitalker' ........

When I was off shore squid fishin on a 155 ft freezer baot a few years ago (2 weeks at a time), we use to lay up at night (squid come to the top at night an ya cant drag for em). The crap squid we dragged up that day we would save in anticipation of that nights fishin! Then the chumin began!

We had pretty good rod an reels with us. Tossed on a huge squid an heaved it out there. The amont of sharks we caught was nuts! I would fight 3 or 4 8-10" blue sharks every night. Makos were caught religiously though nuthin over 6'. Sunfish in the 300lb range were reeled in all the time...

We also used to tie on 100 lb test to empty gallon milk jugs for a float and hand line blue sharks an Mako's in. It was alot of work durin the day, but at night it was just an amazing time. Something I will never forget. My body reminds me everyday!

Nothing though, I mean nothing compared to being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean in the spring!

tc
    Mark
    Mark

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast